• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Timeless Love

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Warning: This chapter has some violence senses in it. You have been warned.

Chapter 42: Invitations and Assault

---------------- next morning

Mirassa couldn't conceal her blush of embarrassment as she made her way down to breakfast with Marik the next morning. They sat down at the table, waiting for the rest of her family to arrive. Her father arrived first and sat down at the head of the table. He looked at the young couple with a knowing smile.

"I apologize for interrupting last night. Were you able to finish what you began?..." he asked apologetically, though Mirassa could sense a hint of laughter in that statement.

"That's alright" said Marik as if nothing had happened. "Better luck tonight eh?" he said looking at Mirassa again, giving her a playful smile.

Mirassa's father let out a loud raucous laugh. "Yes, and this time I won't barge in on you"

Mirassa blushed again. How could Marik talk about it so casually like this? Her father had walked in on them as they were having sex! She had to be dragged out of her room just to come down here. Mirassa hoped that he hadn't told anyone else. If they knew, she would have to curl up in a corner and die. She sat and listened quietly as her father and Marik made light conversation about the upcoming wedding and clan topics, when a familiar face arrogantly strode in.

It was Mirassa's big brother Baal. She stared at the tall shambled figure. He looked different from the last time she saw him. He looked tired and his eyes were dark and red, his face looked like it needed a shave too. It looked like he had been drinking and was suffering from a major hangover. He made his way to his seat at the other end of table that faced his father, only to find that it was already occupied. He glared at the figure sitting in his seat, ready to throw the man out by his ear. That seat was reserved for him as he was the second highest ranking person in the room. This piece of scum would pay for his impertinence! He approached the man, his vision becoming clearer and more focused.

He opened his mouth to comment on this, when he noticed something familiar about him. Hadn't he seen this man around before? They didn't have all that many visitors. He vaguely remembered seeing this man about four or five months ago. He had been talking to his father about something. When he had asked what was going on, his father had merely ignored him. When he asked again, he was told to mind his own business which had put him out somewhat. Baal was certain that this man was trying to muscle in on his inheritance. He was trying to take over his title and position!

He glowered at the sandy haired man with a glint of fury showing in his eyes. Then he noticed a girl sitting beside him. He turned to study her, staring as he recognised the uncomfortable female to be his younger sister. The one that had deserted them over seven months ago….

"What is SHE doing here?" he sneered, pointing a finger towards her as if she were a piece of dirt left behind a camel. Mirassa dropped her head, feeling ashamed.

"SHE has a name…" defended Marik, not liking the tone this man used to speak to his future bride one little bit.

"That little wench is a disgrace to the family!" continued Baal. "She ought to be thrown to the jackals and left to die for dishonouring our family's traditions by running away from her duties!"

"What did you call her?" asked Marik in a dangerously low voice. He stood up tall, facing Baal with pure anger on his features. They were about the same height, but Marik was better built. He was certain he could take him on and was ready to prove that theory.

"ENOUGH!" shouted Mr Benu suddenly. The two men stopped walking towards each other, but didn't stop staring daggers.

"Baal! You will apologize right now! How dare you speak to him like that!" he was furious at his son's disgraceful and insolent behaviour towards the tombkeeper.

"I will not! Who does he think he is anyway?" he growled, baring his teeth at the intruder. "And why is he sticking up for that little very *friendly* person! She doesn't deserve it, not even from a commoner!"

"He is your superior you fool!" barked Mr Benu. "This is Marik Ishtar of the tombkeeper clan! They are here to carry out their duties you imbecile!"

Baal opened his mouth and quickly shut it again. He stared at Marik, whose livid expression didn't bode well for him. He couldn't believe he had spoken to him like that! This man was of a much higher status then he and all he other clans of Egypt put together. He didn't know what to say, so remained silent.

"Marik, please forgive my son for his behaviour. I will see to him later" said Mr Benu, ashamedly giving his son a warning glance not to say another word, for his own benefit.

Marik was about to object, but the pleading look on Mirassa's face made him hold his tongue. "Very well…" he mumbled reluctantly, glaring at the younger man as he retook his seat.

Breakfast passed in relative silence. Now Mirassa remembered why she didn't like her brother. She had secretly hoped that he would welcome her back like her father had done, but it seemed that she was wrong. He was even more arrogant then she remembered. The way he looked at her, and the way he spoke made her feel small and unimportant, until Marik stood up for her that is. When Marik had sat down, he had reached under the table for her hand. He held it firmly, but gently, stroking it with his thumb. The slow movements calmed her nerves from the hateful stares of her brother. He couldn't take his temper out on Marik, so he would do it on her.

Marik was silently telling her through glances and secretive smiles that he wouldn't let her poor excuse for a brother get her down. They had so much to look forward to. A wedding, a baby, and a whole new life together.

"So who are you going to invite to the wedding?" asked Mr Benu. "I heard that your father passed away a few years ago. Is there anyone else you would like to witness this ceremony?"

"Yes" replied Marik. "My sister Ishizu will be coming and my brother Odion will be present too"

"I thought your father only had one son" said Mr Benu in confusion.

"He did" explained Marik. "My mother took him in and raised him as her own which is more then what my father did. He has become a very close member of our family over the years. I see him as the brother I never had" he shot Baal a glare.

Mr Benu simply smiled in response. "And what about you daughter? Marik tells me you have made a few friends back in… Domino was it?" he asked, almost forgetting the name.

Mirassa looked towards her father, trying to ignore her brother's stares. "I have. They're wonderful people. I think you'd like them"

"One friend in particular you will like better then the others" said Marik. "The little one called Yugi is the keeper of the millennium puzzle…"

Mr Benu looked up in interest "You mean, the puzzle that houses the spirit of the nameless pharaoh?"

"The very same" confirmed Marik. "Your daughter knows how to pick her friends doesn't she?" he lifted her hand in his and kissed it, making her blush.

"She certainly does" smiled Mr Benu, raising his glass towards his daughter before taking a sip. "I would like to meet this pharaoh. Please, invite all your friends. I would like to meet the ones who took care of you whilst you were away"

----------------------------- later on

Marik stood outside the Heka clan's domain. He was so far very pleased with how things had turned out. Things were going so incredibly smoothly that he was sure the gods must've been drunk. He took out his cell phone from a secret pocket inside his kilt. He didn't want to use it in front of people who didn't even use modern day technology. He searched for his sisters number and pressed the button for it to dial. After a few seconds he heard Ishizu's voice.

"Marik! What happened? Did you talk to her?" she asked in a frenzy.

"Yes, I caught her just in time. Everything's fine and as it should be. We are back together again"

"Oh what a relief" she sighed. "I thought that you had failed when you didn't call. I thought you were sulking somewhere around Egypt" she joked.

"I have good news" smiled Marik remembering something. "Mirassa and I are going to have a baby"

"I know you are" said Ishizu. "I've known for a little while now"

"What?" asked Marik disbelievingly "You know Mirassa's pregnant? How? When did you find out? But more importantly, why didn't you tell me!"

Ishizu sighed into the phone "I was there when she found out, I was the one that told her to take the test, and she told me not to tell you about it as she wanted to tell you herself. Does that answer all your questions?"

Marik looked into the phone. It sounded like she had had this conversation many times before as the words just rolled off her tongue. "Yeah… well, I have some more good news" he said, choosing to ignore the fact that his sister had kept something like this from him. He had had enough falling out with people and didn't want anymore.

"What?" she asked

"We are getting married in three months" he beamed, the happiness apparent in his voice.

"Congratulations!" said Ishizu down the phone. "I'm very happy for the two of you"

"The wedding is going to take place here at Mirassa's home. You and Odion are invited to attend, Maka too. Oh, and invite all of Mirassa's friends. She wants everyone there. You can come down any time you like" said Marik.

"I'd better tell everyone then" said Ishizu happily. "We will be there as soon as we can to help" she said.

Marik and Ishizu said their goodbyes to each other, giving their love. He put the cell back inside his kilt and headed back down into the dark, but richly decorated halls. He was thinking how perfect his life was, suddenly aware of a female voice coming from down the corridor. He quickened his pace, the screams becoming louder and more terrified. His heart sank and his blood grew cold as he recognised it as Mirassa's. She was in trouble. He broke into a sprint, trying to get to her before anything serious happened. He had to protect her and his baby. If anything happened to either of them he didn't know what he would do.

He rounded a corner, the screams louder then ever, bewildered and shocked by the horrific scene before him. There, cowering against the wall on the floor was Mirassa. She was curled up in a ball with Baal trying to kick her in the stomach. She was trying her best to keep her hands around her abdomen, to keep him from hurting her baby, but he was trying to prise her arms away. he kept calling her names and accusing her of trying to take his places as their fathers favourite. No matter how much she denied it, he would only beat her more.

Baal raised his hand, ready to strike her, but found that he couldn't. His hand was being held back by someone. He turned around to see Marik, breathing heavily, his eyes burning with raw uncontrollable rage. Marik pulled Baal away from Mirassa and twisted his arm behind his back. There was a very sickening crack that echoed through the halls. Baal screamed in agony as the bones in his arm broke from Marik's vice like grip.

"What in the seven hells do you think you are doing!" he bellowed, loud enough to wake the dead. "She is your sister! Your own flesh and blood! And not only that! She is pregnant with my child! If anything has happened to our baby, I will torture you so slowly and painfully, you will wish that you were deceased a million times over!"

"What's going on here?" asked Mr Benu, emerging from round the corner. He covered his mouth in shock as he saw his daughter on the ground, bleeding and clutching her stomach. She was having trouble breathing. It looked like she was losing the baby! Mr Benu took one look at his son and knew who the culprit was.

"Guards! Take my son to the cells! Lock him up and do not let him out!" he bellowed. This time, the boy had gone too far. There was no way he would be forgiven for this sin.

Marik let go of him the moment the guards arrived and dashed towards Mirassa and her father who was tending to her. He couldn't believe it. Everything was going so perfectly. He couldn't stand to think that their baby was dead. He had only just found out he was going to be a father yesterday!

"We need to get her to my room" her father said quickly. "I have a few spells there that could save her and the baby"

Without any hesitation, Marik picked Mirassa up and followed Mr Benu back to his chambers. He closed the door behind him, hoping against hope that there was really something that could be done.
    ------------------- a month later

Mirassa opened her eyes, slowly taking in her surroundings. She couldn't see anything at first. Her vision was blurry, and she had a killer headache to contend with as well. Once her vision had cleared, she looked around in confusion. This wasn't her room. It took her a few minutes to realise that this was her father's.

"Why am I in my father's room….?" She thought to herself.

She sat up in bed, noticing that there was a bandage wrapped around her stomach. She touched it, only to find that there was no pain at all. Memories however flooded back to her. She remembered some of it very clearly, while other parts were still uncertain. She had been confronted by her brother Baal. He had been drinking himself into a stupor about earlier that day. He hated being spoken to like he was a commoner and believed the sun shone out of his arse. He was so full of himself, that he felt he had to punish those who he believed had it better then him. The moment he set eyes on Mirassa passing by, he had decided she was the one to take his anger out on.

He accused her of being daddy's favourite and only returning so that she could make him look like a fool. Of course Mirassa had denied this, because it wasn't true at all. She had returned for her father to forgive her. She had returned so that she could be with her family again. He didn't believe her though. She vaguely remembered him kicking her and punching her, to cause her the most pain he could possibly muster. Suddenly, a awful thought made its way into her mind. How long had she been asleep? What happened to her baby? Was it still alive? She had no way of knowing. Where was everyone? She had to know.

Mirassa swung her legs over the side, fear beginning to take over all sense of reason. She was about to stand up when the door slowly opened. Marik walked in, with a relatively calm expression as he read a scroll from the library. He glanced up to see Mirassa staring back at him, watery eyed and scared. He dropped the scroll on the floor and ran towards her, embracing her in a tight hug. She wrapped her arms around his neck and cried into his shoulder.

"Is it alright?" she asked through the tears.

"Yes, its fine" comforted Marik. "Your father saved you both"

Mirassa let out a shaky breath. "You're sure?" she asked, wanting to make absolutely certain.

"Yes, its fine, and we now know its sex…" he smiled.

Mirassa pulled away and looked Marik in the eyes to see if he was joking. "You know what it is?"

"Yes, after you two were out of danger, your father asked me if he could do a test to see if it was a boy or girl. He already had the scroll with the spell on it to hand. I said he could. It was the least I could do after he saved your lives"

Mirassa looked at him, unsure whether or not she wanted to know. She wanted it to be a surprise, but then again, she wanted to know if she had a son or daughter.

"Sweetheart?" said Marik softly, catching her attention. "Would you like to know what it is?" he asked.

"Yes" replied Mirassa after a few moments. "Tell me"

Marik smiled. "It's a boy"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Chapter 43: Friends and Family

A few days had passed since Mirassa had woken from her brother's attack. He was still locked up in the prison Marik told her, but funnily enough, she had no sympathy for him. She knew that was an awful thing to think that of her own brother, but seeing as he had almost killed her and her baby in cold blood, she was in no mood to forgive and forget.

But now she had more important things to think of. Marik had received a call from Ishizu the previous morning saying that they would be arriving today with all her friends to attend the wedding ceremony. It was only a month away now and the reality of it all was beginning to dawn on her. The whole clan was alive with the hustle and bustle of people, young and old decorating the halls in which the wedding and reception would take place. It looked absolutely fantastic.

Mirassa stood in front of her bedroom mirror, a notoriously happy smile playing across her lips. She hadn't noticed any change in her appearance because she was still in the early stages of pregnancy. But now that she knew that her baby was a boy, she had begun to study herself a little more. It was the third month now, and Mirassa was finally beginning to show, much to her delight. There was a small bump in her usually flat stomach which she continuously stroked and rested her hands on protectively; a lot of the time unaware that she was doing it.

Marik walked in to the bedroom and smiled at the sight before him. She was doing it again. He leant against the doorway, watching her until she finally lifted her emerald green eyes to meet his violet ones.

"Is he moving yet?" asked Marik walking over to her.

"Not yet" replied Mirassa. "But my father says that he should start anytime soon"

"Good" smiled Marik, resting his hand on her stomach, just in case the baby chose that moment to make himself known. He wanted to be there the moment his son started to kick. Maybe that was why he was always around Mirassa recently, or maybe it was because he didn't want a repeat of that incident.

Mirassa smiled and shook her head. "Marik, he's not going to kick if you stand there waiting for it to happen. It will be when you're on the opposite side of this underground complex"

"You never know..." said Marik, his hand still in place. "And besides, after last month, I will never be further then a call away from you"

Mirassa decided to change the topic of her attack. "When is everyone going to arrive?" she asked, sitting down on a chair.

Marik pulled his hand away from her stomach. "Ishizu said the plane would be landing today sometime. She wasn't completely sure. You know how airports are"

"Yeah…" said Mirassa, remembering the delays and being pushed around by rude and bad tempered passengers. Not something she would like to do often.

"I can't believe this is happening" she said suddenly.

Marik looked at her. "What?"

"Us getting married" she replied with a smile. "Do you remember when we first met? We hated each other. Back then, I could never have imagined I would be marrying you willingly"

"I know" he grinned. "You know, I'm kind of glad I didn't know the truth about my past until recently"

"Why?" asked Mirassa. Why would be glad about something like that?

"Well, if I hadn't believed it was the pharaoh who killed my father then I would never have come looking for him, and I would never have met you. We would never have repaired the rift between us would we?"

"I guess not…, she smiled. "Come on Marik, let's go and see if my father needs our help with anything"
    ---------------------

As it turned out, Mr Benu had forbidden the two of them to lift a finger, saying it was his duty to see to the preparations. He even hinted at a surprise for them which cheered Mirassa up very much. She liked surprises, and this one was probably going to be her favourite. She had never received a surprise from her father before. This was something completely new to her. She wondered what he could possibly have planned.

To try and calm Mirassa down, Marik took her outside to the oasis for a change of scenery and a breath of fresh air. It would do her good to get out of the place for a while. They stepped out into the morning sunshine, the sky clear blue with the odd cloud here and there. It was still cool and there was a pleasant breeze blowing through the air taking the uncomfortable heat from the air. It was just right for a little stroll around the oasis under the shade of the palm trees.

"Marik? What do you think we should call him?" asked Mirassa, as she saw a jackal and her cubs wander across the sand dunes in the distance.

Marik had a thoughtful look on his face, a smile eventually appearing on his lips as one name in particular came to mind. He wasn't sure if Mirassa would agree to it considering the circumstances in which he had used it, but it was only a suggestion.

"Well, what about Namu…" he said, trailing off at the look on her face. Her brow furrowed a little.

"Namu? Isn't that what you called yourself in battle city to get closer to the pharaoh?" she asked.

"It is" he replied.

"Why would you want to call him that? Wouldn't it remind you of then and… what you did?..." she said, not wanting to go into detail of that nightmarish time.

"Everything I do reminds me of what I did" said Marik. "Being with you reminds me, but not in a bad way. Besides, I happen to like the name Namu. Always have. That's why I called myself that. I think its one of those names that grows with a person. I think it would suit him. What do you think?"

Mirassa stopped to think about what Marik had said. Well it made sense. Why would Marik call himself something that he hated? And it was true about that name growing with its bearer. Now that she thought about it, Namu would be a very cute name for a baby boy, but wouldn't outgrow him as he got older. It would suit him as a man too, not that she was in a hurry for him to grow up. The more she thought about it, the more she liked it. She found herself mouthing the name silently. It rolled off her tongue so easily she realised that she couldn't bring herself to call him anything else. Marik had only suggested it to her, but he had inadvertently drilled the name into her memory.

"Namu…" she repeated to herself.

Marik looked at her in surprise. Had he just named their son? It looked like it. he was about to ask her what she really thought about it, when he saw a familiar black car drive towards the oasis. Two cars in fact. He put a hand on Mirassa's shoulders to catch her attention. She looked at him, a little annoyed that he had brought her out of her hard decision. She looked to where he was pointing to see two cars, full of people inside them. She jumped up, dragging Marik behind her to greet them.

The cars pulled up to the oasis after seeing Mirassa and Marik rush out to meet them. Out of the first car came Ishizu, Odion and Maka. After hearing the news, she had insisted on coming to attend the wedding. She didn't care if Mr Benu punished her. This was something she wouldn't miss for the world. In the second car came Yugi, Tea, Joey, Tristan and Bakura. Mirassa hugged all of them, one by one.

"You're pregnant!" Tea practically screamed. "Why didn't you tell us! And why did you run off like that! We were all very worried about you"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I just wanted to go home" she replied, only half telling the truth. She didn't really want people to know that she was trying to get away from Marik so he couldn't interfere with her and her baby.

"Well congratulations you two" smiled Yugi. "I think its great you're getting married, and Yami thinks so too"

Tristan and Bakura also offered their congratulations to the young couple. Joey was last. He looked a little sad, Mirassa saw, but he quickly put on a smile that said otherwise. He walked over to Mirassa and gave her a hug.

"I hope you guys don't make a mess of things like ya did last time" he said. "Ya got a little baby ta look out for now. Ya have ta give a good example"

Hearing his tone of voice, Marik knew that Joey still had a thing for Mirassa, but he knew he wouldn't do anything about it. Not now. Not even Wheeler would stoop that low as to hit on a pregnant woman about to get married. At least he knew he wouldn't let any harm come to her. He knew that all her friends would take care of her. Marik felt a little relieved they were here. He liked the way Mirassa came out of herself when her friends were around.

"Come on" said Mirassa. "This way. You have to meet my father" she said, running towards her home, the rest of them following close behind her.
    -------------------

Mirassa quickly found her father and introduced him to her friends. Their attention drawn away from the painted walls, covered in hieroglyphs. She went through all of their names, her father shaking each of their hands, stopping at Yugi.

"You are the one who shares his body with the pharaoh aren't you?" said Mr Benu in awe.

"I am. Nice to meet you" said Yugi, feeling a little uncomfortable under Mr Benu's fascinated stare. As if sensing his discomfort, a light shone from the millennium puzzle, and the spirit emerged from within.

"I am Yami" said the spirit holding out his hand. Mr Benu took it, a little surprised. The pharaoh's spirit seemed very normal, but he could sense his power.

Mr Benu looked to the back and saw two other Egyptians standing there. One was a woman with long black hair, and the other a man with tattoo on his face.

"You must be Marik's family" he speculated, holding his hand out to the both of them.

He then looked at the woman standing behind them. She was watching him carefully, but didn't look frightened of him. She was making sure of that.

"Well well, my daughter finally comes back and now so do you" he said. "What a coincidence"

"Father please" Mirassa scolded. "Cant you just let it go? I want her to be here and I don't want her to be punished either just in case that's what you were thinking. She's been like a mother to me"

Mr Benu looked at his daughter. She'd never spoken to him like that before. She'd never told him off, especially in front of other people. This was certainly a change to how she used to be.

"Very well Maka. As you mean so much to her, you may come and go as you please. Welcome back" he added, having a feeling that it would make his daughter happy to hear that.

"Thank you sir" replied Maka, bowing slightly to him.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Chapter 44: The Wedding

Mirassa was on tenterhooks. She was very excited as her marriage to Marik Ishtar loomed ever closer. It was only a few days away now and the last minute preparations were being made. Her wedding dress for one. Maka assisted in the making of this dress, she insisted upon it. The dress itself was made of a beautiful silky fabric that shone whenever the light hit it. The top part left her shoulders exposed, with long sleeves that fell over her small hands. The underskirt was a slightly darker colour of the same fabric and was soft and floaty, creating a beautiful layered effect.

Mirassa stood on the stool while the women surrounding her tucked and pinned the dress so it would fit her comfortably. They had decided to leave the actual sewing part as late as they possibly could due to the fact that Mirassa's baby bump was getting bigger. it was obvious that she was pregnant now, there was no way they could disguise it, not that Mirassa wanted them to. She was very proud of her bump.

When the ladies had finished taking the new measurements, they left leaving Mirassa alone with Maka. It was almost time for dinner, so Maka pulled out a dress for Mirassa to wear and helped her change into it. They left the room ten minutes later and joined the waiting people at the table.

"Where have you been?" asked Mr Benu. "We've been waiting for you two"

"I'm sorry, I was being fitted into my wedding dress" said Mirassa shortly. "And plus I can't move as fast as I used to" she took her seat next to Marik.

Mr Benu looked at his daughter, choosing to ignore her comment. These must be her mood swings. He gave Marik a knowing smile which was soon returned. Both knew what was going on and both decided to let her get on with it. Mirassa was the one carrying the child, so she was entitled to lose her temper from time to time. Just no one wanted to be nearby when it happened.

"So how are you feeling?" asked Ishizu.

"I feel like crap" she said tersely. "My back hurts, I feel sick in the mornings 'still', I have to go to the bathroom every ten seconds, my feet are swelling up and im hungry for chocolate and Mexican food which I can't have because we don't have any!"

She gripped her hands in her blond hair letting out a heavy frustrated breath before looking up at Ishizu and asking, "What about you?"

Ishizu didn't really know how to answer this question. So she kind of muttered an inaudible something under her breath before turning back to start a conversation with Yugi. Mirassa looked back to her empty plate and began helping herself to the food on the table. Everyone else followed suit, allowing Mirassa first pickings on the good stuff, trying to avoid her currently suppressed anger by getting in her way. Marik stared at all the strange concoctions on Mirassa's plate. There were foods there that were never meant to be together and it made him want to vomit thinking about it. How could she eat all that?

To Mirassa however, this was heaven. She was starving and she had only eaten a couple of hours ago. She continued to devour the food in front of her, not noticing the stares she was getting. Not at first that is. She looked up to see her father, Marik, Ishizu and Odion looking at her. Everyone else wasn't as aware because they didn't know which food went with what. They just copied what they saw on the Egyptians plates.

"What are you all looking at?" she asked, her temper disappearing to be replaced by a sense of insecurity.

"How can you eat all that?" Marik asked, gesturing to her plate. "I thought you didn't like that" he pointed to a dish in front of her.

"I don't, but I just fancied it today"

"Just let her be" smiled Mirassa's father. "She'll be eating many more strange combinations before this baby is born. You should have seen what her mother was asking for" his face scrunched up in recollection.

"Well excuuse me" said Mirassa, her anger rising again. "I can't help it. If any of you want to carry this baby then you're welcome to it. Any takers?... No? Then shut up and leave me alone"

She took an indignant bite out of her meal before standing up in her seat, piling a few more things on her plate and storming off to her room to finish her dinner. The rest of the people in the room simply stared, eating from their plates when they realised she wouldn't be making another appearance this evening. Marik returned to his dinner, deciding that he should pay her a visit before she went to bed.

-------------------- later on

Mirassa lay on her bed, staring at the canopy surrounding her bed. She felt tired, but she didn't want to go to bed yet. She didn't want to go down and talk to people because they were probably laughing at her and her fascinating food cravings. It wasn't her fault. It was the baby wanting to try something new and who was she to deprive her son of that? To make herself feel better, she decided to take a bath. She walked into the room beyond her bed chamber and undressed behind the screen. The bath had been warmed by the servants earlier, and it was still warm thanks to a special charm courtesy of her father.

The water was scented with her favourite oils, the colour appearing as a creamy pink after she added some more to it for good measure. Mirassa carefully descended down the steps and waded around the pool like bath. She rested her arms on the edge, cradling her chin on top, closing her eyes trying to think of anything but her pounding headache.

"Is there room for one more in there?" asked a deep voice by the door.

Mirassa smiled and slowly turned her head to see her future husband standing there with a sympathetic expression on his features. She gave him a small nod and turned slowly back to resting her head sideways on her arms. She listened intently to the sound of fabric falling to the floor, water rising slightly from the additional presence in the bath and feeling strong hands embrace her from behind, pulling her tight against his warm chest. Marik simply stood there, stroking her arms and kissing her hair and neck every now and then. She wasn't in the mood for talking; she just wanted a bit of comfort right now.

Marik breathed into her ear, his chest rising and falling slowly to match his lovers. She was feeling a little off right now and he wanted to do anything he could to make her feel better.

"What's wrong?" he asked after a while. "You haven't been the same recently. I know your feeling a little under the weather right now, but there's something else…"

"I don't know" she replied. "I think im just a little nervous. About the wedding and the baby you know?"

"What's there to worry about?" he asked. "The wedding will be fine and im sure we'll be able to handle a baby" he said, trying to comfort her.

"Marik, it's not so much the wedding. I mean, yes, I am nervous, but in a good way. I get excited when I think about it, but scared because I'll have to stand in front of a lot of people" she let out a hollow laugh. "It's the baby that concerns me more then anything"

Marik moved his head around so that he could see her face. There was no mistaking the anxiety on her features. She was scared.

"I just don't think I can handle the birth" she said tightening her fists. "I know I'm being a wimp, but It sounds horrible! and it's going to hurt a lot. I just can't imagine pushing something that big out of…. there…." she made a gesture that grossly exaggerated the size of the baby.

"I'm not going to lie to you and say it won't hurt and that there won't be problems…" started Marik knowing that there very well could be, "but just think, it's only going to be one day. Maybe not even that"

"Yeah, maybe it'll be two" muttered Mirassa.

"Maybe" said Marik firmly with a slightly raised voice, "But at the end of it all we're going to have a little baby boy. Won't he be worth it?" he asked, kissing her neck.

"Yeah…" said Mirassa softly after a few moments. "He will be won't he?"

"Of course he will" smiled Marik. "Our little Namu" he squeezed her hand slightly earning a smile from her.

------------------------ few days later

Today was the big day. The guests had all arrived and the great hall looked stunning. There were tables lining the hall with a large space in the middle for dancing after the ceremony. There were tiny grooves at the bottom of the walls, filled with flowing water so that when the light touched it, it reflected through the entire room giving it an almost serene, aquatic feel to it. There were flowers in every corner and the banners made the place look like a palace fit for royalty.

Mirassa was getting ready in her own chambers whilst Marik was getting ready in her fathers room. He stood still as the servants dressed him into his wedding garb. He wore a long white kilt that touched the floor and a large deep purple cape lined with gold. It had a hole where his head fit through and draped over his chest and back, leaving the sides bare. He then had a black sash tied around his waist to keep it together, finishing the look with his arm and neck jewellery. He also wore his circlet with the millennium eye in the middle.

Mirassa's father walked in just as the servants had put the finishing touches to his outfit. The servants looked at their master, obeying as he waved a hand for them leave. Marik turned to face Mr Benu, his face a mixture of complete and utter happiness, and a tiny amount of apprehension. For some stupid reason he was certain something might happen to ruin this day. He had been certain before that all was fine. Until Baal attacked Mirassa that is. He pushed his worries to the back of his mind and walked over to the mirror to apply kohl to his eyes.

"Are you ready Marik" asked Mr Benu with a smile.

"I am" replied Marik firmly. "How long until the ceremony?" he asked.

"In an hour or so" he replied. "Mirassa is having a little trouble getting into her dress right now I've been told. It seems the baby has grown somewhat in a three days. She wants it roomier. It wont take much longer to finish" he laughed.

"Poor girl" smiled Marik, going back to apply his kohl.

--------------------- Mirassa's room

"How's that?" asked Maka when they had finally readjusted the dress.

"Much more comfortable, thank you" she said with a grin, happy with the result. "There was no way I'd be able to move around the way it was before"

"Mirassa, it looked fine. A little tighter then it was a few days ago, but still fine" said Maka, picking up a brush and combing it through her hair. "Now that that's out of the way, we have to hurry and get you finished. They'll be waiting for you"

"Let them wait" said Mirassa casually. "Isn't the bride allowed to be late?"

"Yes, but fashionably so" replied Maka. "The way we're going it won't be so come on"

"Ok, but you're the one with the brush" said Mirassa, eying Maka's reflection in the mirror.

Maka once again began to brush through her long blond tresses, brushing her fringe aside and pinning it back with a clip. All that was left now was the makeup. She applied a powder to her lips to make them appear red and gold powder very lightly to her eyelids to give them some character. She used kohl to line her eyes. Because of the fact that Mirassa was marrying into another clan, Maka drew the familiar black lines at the corners of her eyes, similar to that of her husband to be, before finally painting her nails red. She added jewellery to her wrists, arms and neck, standing back to admire her handiwork. Mirassa was finally ready.

------------------ great hall

"How much longer are they gonna be?" complained Tea. She wanted to see Mirassa but had to wait because of the traditions of her family.

Everyone in the hall kept twisting around in their cushioned seats on the floor to see if they bride and groom were going to make an appearance.

"Ya don't think that she's changed her mind do ya?" whispered Joey only loud enough only for Yugi sitting next to him to hear, a trace of hope in his voice.

Yugi turned to face his friend and spoke in a very low voice. "Joey, she's not going to change her mind. She loves Marik. They're having a baby together. You have to move on…"

Joey's eyes dropped and covered his face in his hands. "Yeah, I know. I just thought that she and coulda had a chance ya know?"

"Yeah I know" smiled Yugi. "But you know, I think that if you looked more closely, there might be someone else who would be right for you…" he trailed.

"Look yuge, I know you're trying ta cheer me up, but I don't swing that way, ok?" he ****ed an eyebrow at the small teen and shifted to make more space between them.

"Not me!" yelled Yugi at the top of his voice, earning himself more then a few stares. He blushed red in embarrassment, looking at his friend, trying to ignore the eyes on him. "I'm talking about Mai" he hissed.

"Huh? Mai?" he asked, confused.

"Yes" said Yugi. "We all know she likes you, but you know how she is. She won't ever admit it. That's why you've gotta make the first move Joey. Persuade her to open up"

Joey stared at Yugi, suddenly deep in thought. He had no idea, but then again, now he wasn't so sure. Did he already know deep down that he liked Mai? Or was it just because the reality that he could never have Mirassa finally beginning to kick in? He was about to reply to Yugi, when the music started up. It was a quiet tune, to fill the background, but indicated that the ceremony would begin very shortly.

Right on cue, Marik had entered the hall. He walked slowly towards the alter, his head held high and proud. Ishizu and Odion smiled warmly at him, delighted that he was finally moving on in his life. Marik finally reached the alter where Mirassa's father stood waiting for him. He bowed in font of him and kneeled, speaking something in Arabic that Yugi and his friends didn't understand. They assumed that the ceremony had begun now and sat back, wondering what was going on.

Ishizu leant forward to speak to the group. "Marik is saying his vows" she explained. "These vows are made to Mirassa's father, that he will protect his daughter to the best of his abilities for as long as he lives"

"That's so sweet…" smiled Tea open mouthed as she watched Marik's sincerity as he said these words. Why couldn't she find a man like that?

Marik stood up after a couple of minutes once he had finished his vows, bowing to Mr Benu, and took a couple of steps away from the alter. As soon as he did this, the music changed slightly. All heads in the hall had turned to face the door that had just opened, Marik too…

Mirassa stood there in her wedding gown holding a bouquet of lotus flowers and other exotic flora, the silken fabric flowing behind her as she slowly walked towards Marik. There were gasps of amazement as she passed. Those who had seen her as a child were astonished to see how beautiful she had become and smiled to themselves, silently wishing the young couple all the luck in the world for their life together.

Contrary to her calm expression, Mirassa was shaking inside. She hated being stared at and this was no exception. She put all her effort in concentrating on getting to Marik in one piece. She took care with her steps and stood as straight as she possibly could, whilst practically gliding across the floor. It was difficult, but somehow she managed it.

Marik smiled at her approaching form, pride filling his eyes. She floated towards him, her cheeks pink. She blushed as he took her hand and held it tightly in his own. They turned towards the alter and walked towards it again. They kneeled in front of it on the cushions, and began their vows to each other. First was Marik, he looked into her eyes as he spoke in Arabic, every single word that left his lips the complete truth. He would do anything to make her happy, no matter what.

When it was Mirassa's turn, she also looked him in the eyes. She didn't think she would be able to do it. She had a habit of dropping her gaze when looking at someone for too long. She also spoke her vows with the utmost honesty. She couldn't believe that this was it. They were finally going to be bound to each other for the rest of their lives. She now knew that she was doing the right thing. There was nothing in the world that could change her mind now.

As she finished her own vows to Marik, her father stepped in. He kneeled in front of the couple and brought their hands together, pulling out a piece of white ribbon and binding their hands loosely together. He wrapped his own hand over theirs and spoke out loud to the onlookers. This lasted for a few minutes more. He then released his grip and stood back. This was the moment.

Mirassa watched Marik as he brought his face towards hers for the kiss that would seal their commitment to each other. Her eyes fluttered closed as she felt Marik's lips press against her own. There was a loud roar from the audience who had now stood up to applaud the newlyweds. Marik and Merissa didn't seem to hear it though. Merissa's heart seemed to skip a beat as Marik deepened the kiss, only pulling away after realising they were still in front of hundreds of people. Merissa blushed scarlet, but soon forgot about her shyness as Marik scooped her up into his arms and carried her through the mass of guests. He carried her to the room beyond the ceremonial chamber where the banquet was to take place, the guests following suit.

Marik found his way to their places at the head of the table and gently placed Merissa in her seat. He sat down next to her, pulling her in for another kiss whilst the room filled up with the happy and incessant chatter of the guests.

------------------ at the par-tay

"That was a great wedding!" shouted Tristan as he took another sip from his wine glass. "Didn't know what was going on exactly, but was still great!" His face was starting to go red, a classic sign of too much alcohol. He couldn't believe he was allowed to drink here! Legally too! This would all be stopped when he got back home so he may as well enjoy it.

"Thank you. I know you couldn't understand what was going on, but im glad you were all there anyway" smiled Merissa at her friends when she had returned from the dance floor. She had abandoned Tea who was currently showing some of the younger Egyptian girls some dance moves. They had never quite seen anything like it and it was rather amusing watching them try to copy her.

"No problem!" replied Tristan raising his glass and leaning backwards before realising there wasn't a chair to break his fall.

"So what are you and Marik gonna do now?" asked Yugi. "I guess you won't be coming back to school now that you're married and have a kid on the way" he sounded a little sad.

"No, I guess I won't. To be honest we don't know what we're going to do. We've never really talked about it. We really should though…." said Merissa thoughtfully.

"We really should what?" asked Marik coming up behind Merissa and planting a big kiss on her cheek.

"Talk about where we're going to live" replied Merissa as If it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"There's plenty of time for that. Let's just enjoy the party" he got up and pulled Merissa with him to the dance floor. Merissa rolled her eyes and laughed as she was led into the crowd. They danced together to the music, laughing as they saw the group of girls Tea was teaching finally get the hang of the moves she showed them. They actually looked pretty good now. The music changed to a slow tune and most of the dancers retreated to their seats, leaving only couples, dancing away, oblivious to the whole world.

Marik and Merissa were one such couple. They swayed slowly, holding onto each other and gazing into their partners eyes lovingly. Merissa's arms draped over Marik's shoulders while his hands rested on her hips. They simply smiled at each other, occasionally brushing their noses together to make the other laugh.

"So how does it feel Mrs Ishtar?" asked Marik.

"To be married? Its ok" replied Merissa with a hint of mischief in her voice.

"Ok? Is that all?" asked Marik with a grin. "Don't you mean so wonderfully fantastic that you can't think of anyone else but me?"

Merissa shrugged. "Heh. Something along those lines" Marik studied her closely. He couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to take her in that dress…. She looked very alluring in it. Even more so with her little bump….

"That'll have to do for now" smiled Marik picking Merissa up and heading away from the crowd of people.

Merissa knew exactly where Marik was taking her. The wedding ceremony was now over and he was taking her to consummate their marriage properly. He might even have held back so that she could spend some time with her friends and family. She could tell that it had been on his mind for a while now as he had kept looking at her with lustful glances every now and then.

But Merissa didn't have any objections whatsoever. She was up for it. It seemed that people had now noticed that they were leaving the party. There was a tremendous roar of cheers and wolf whistles as Marik carried his blushing bride across the room. As they reached the doors, the guards that stood there opened them, bowing in respect as they passed by them.

Merissa's father stood watching as his daughter was carried away by her new husband. He was so proud of her. She had been so unwilling to marry Marik when she was younger, but now here she was carrying out her duties, willingly and was even benefiting from it. She looked happier now then she had ever been in her life, a spark in her eyes that he had never noticed before. Marik had done that. He smiled and raised a glass to the now closed doors.

If only her brother had turned out that well. He took a deep sigh. He felt a pang of sadness, wondering if he really wanted this for his daughter, immediately regretting that thought. Of course he wanted this for her. He wouldn't stand between her and her happiness any longer. He just hoped that she wouldn't forget about him once she had moved away again which he knew she would. He hoped that she would visit as soon as she had given birth to his grandchild. That was a moment he looked forward to immensely.

Turning back to his guests, he muttered a prayer to the gods to watch over them and keep them safe. Thinking back, he still had that gift to give Merissa and her new husband. He would wait a little longer.

"Let them get settled into married life first" chuckled Mr Benu.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Chapter 45: Welcome Home

"Do we have to leave?" asked Merissa dejectedly. This place is sooo nice"

"I'm afraid so sweetheart" replied Marik with a sympathetic smile. "But don't worry. We can come back another year"

It had been just over two weeks since their wedding, when Merissa's father had sprung his surprise on them. He had secretly arranged a honeymoon for the two of them. Two glorious weeks in the Caribbean, with beautiful sunshine and a cool breeze, and better still, it was all expenses paid. Maka had helped with the arrangements apparently, which made Merissa smile when she heard. Her father really seemed to be making an effort for her. She was ecstatic. She was slowly beginning to see the world. Something she never thought she would ever do. After hugging her father farewell, and saying goodbye to her friends, she and Marik were taken to the airport with their first class tickets in hand.

It was a beautiful place. Since Merissa and Marik had arrived at their five star hotel, they had spent most of their time, eating, sleeping, making love, eating some more, swimming in the sea, and taking quiet walks on the beach at night, hand in hand. They didn't want it to end. They had had so much fun together, they weren't sure if it would ever be possible to beat it again. Before long, it was all over, and the time had come to return home.

They were packing their suitcases, Marik shoving things in, and Merissa taking them out again to fold them neatly while he fetched more junk. They had left it to the last minute to pack and had to leave soon to catch their plane back to Domino. Merissa had wanted to go back for a while to see Ipet, which was just as well because Marik had unfinished business at the museum with Ishizu.

-------------- back in domino

"Welcome back!" smiled Maka, as Marik and Merissa came through the front door. It had only been a fortnight, but she had missed their company immensely.

She scooped the couple into a great big bear hug, releasing them after a few moments. She ran into the kitchen excitedly to get them some drinks and tell her all about their trip, whilst Marik took Merissa's hand and guided her to the lounge. He helped her sit down on the couch to rest, which she was very grateful to as she sank into the soft cushions. Merissa wasn't able to stand for as long as she could before. The baby was beginning to take its toll on her physically. Her back ached, she needed to visit the bathroom a lot more frequently, and her headaches were to die for. Marik knew he had to help her a bit more now, lest he face her wrath.

"How are you feeling now?" he asked taking her hand and stroking it lightly in an attempt to act like the perfect husband.

"I'm ok. It's nothing I can't handle" she smiled confidently.

"Good. Keep that up Miri and the rest of this pregnancy will be a breeze" he smiled kissing her on the cheek.

Merissa turned her head and shot him a filthy look that told him to 'shut up, as if you'd know', just as Maka walked back into the room. She handed them a cold drink, but hardly gave them a chance to take a sip before she bombarded them with question upon question about their honeymoon. They answered her questions, hoping that she would get bored of the topic soon. After an hour or so later, they found their eyes kept dropping and they couldn't stop yawning.

"Oh im so sorry!" said Maka apologetically. "How selfish of me. You two must be exhausted from your long trip. Why don't you go to bed? You'll feel better in the morning"

Marik nodded saying nothing. He hadn't the energy to speak. He hauled himself off the couch and helped Merissa up who was close to collapsing with tiredness. It had been a very long day and they were looking forward to some bed rest.

"Im sorry we can't talk more right now" said Merissa. "I need some sleep, urgently. We'll see you in the morning Maka" she said, hugging Maka goodnight.

Somehow they had made it upstairs. The staircase seemed extremely longer now then it had before. Merissa had hoped Marik would carry her up the stairs, but he'd probably drop her what with her slightly increased weight and the fact that his arms didn't seem to be working properly right now. She pushed the door open and flopped down on the bed. She sunk into her bedsheets, loving the feel of the soft sheets and bouncy mattress. She didn't think she would be able to get up again after this.

Marik followed in after her but went straight to the bathroom after pulling a pair of his boxers out from Merissa's drawers. The door was slightly ajar as he changed. Merissa watched him move around with half lidded eyes as he took his shirt off, smiling to herself. Remembering that she too should probably change for bed, she reluctantly sat up and pulled out a short nightdress. She found that she couldn't sleep in anything heavy now as she got hot very easily now. Merissa even had to have a fan directed on her all night just to keep her cool. Marik didn't mind though. He just pulled the covers around him more.

One Merissa was changed; she slipped under the sheets, sighing in comfort as her eyes fluttered closed. However her peaceful rest was interrupted. She felt something very strange, almost alien, something that she had never felt before in her life. It felt like something was shifting around in her stomach. This sensation had caught her off guard, making her bolt upright, clutching her abdomen. She knew instantly what it was, but somehow wasn't quite able to believe it.

"Marik! Come here!" she called a little louder and urgently then she meant to.

Marik came running out of the bathroom, shaving foam over his face. He ran up to her, concern on his face. "What is it? What's wrong?" he asked worriedly.

"I think the baby just moved!" she said disbelievingly.

Marik wasted no time in resting his hand over her belly wanting to feel it too. There was nothing. No movement whatsoever. Marik looked up at Merissa with a questioning glance.

"I'm sure he will do it again. Just wait…" said Merissa, staring at her stomach again and placing her hand there also.

They waited for fifteen minutes, nothing happened, until…

"I can feel it!" smiled Marik ecstatically as he felt his son kicking the hell out of his mother's insides. "Oh Ra this is amazing…"

Merissa smiled as she felt her baby squirming around inside her. This strange feeling was weird, but in a good way. It was amazing too. She knew that she had been pregnant for a long time now, over three months. But feeling the presence of another life inside her like this brought her to a brand new stage of realisation. Before, she only knew, then she could see, but now she could actually feel it.

She felt tears coming to her eyes. They rolled down her cheeks as she blinked, the salty liquid falling onto her nightdress. Marik saw the wet droplet fall on her dress and looked up at his tearfully happy wife. He smiled at her and reached down to pull her into a kiss. They broke apart after a few minutes and climbed into bed. Marik pulled Merissa towards him and rested his hand on her belly again, not wanting to miss a single kick.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Chapter 46: Wedded Bliss?

A couple of months later, Marik and Merissa had settled back into life in domino. She was now six months pregnant and could not hide it any longer under her baggy clothes. She had a nicely rounded stomach, and according to the doctor a very healthy little boy growing inside her. Merissa was very proud of her bump and now wore clothes that fitted her comfortably showing it off. She just felt a little awkward when passing by people she knew from school. They seemed to stare and point at her, whispering as if she wasn't there at all.

But today, Merissa was happily wandering through the streets of domino, shopping for the baby supplies she would be needing in three months time. Marik was at home assembling the cot and painting the nursery. By the time Merissa was finished shopping, he should be finished decorating. That was the plan anyway.

Merissa made her way towards the mall and wandered around the various shops aimed towards new mothers. She picked up lots of little things, like bibs, pacifiers, cuddly toys, books, nappies, mobiles for the nursery. The list was endless. She was amazed there was so much stuff. Originally she had intended to buy the basics, but she couldn't help herself. There were so many things she wanted to give her baby. After, one shop she moved onto the next which specialised in baby clothes. She poured over the tiny little outfits and fell in love with many of them. Purchasing the ones she wanted to see her little boy wearing the most.

After a while, Merissa found herself feeling tired. She hadn't realised how quickly time had passed. She was getting hungry and her back was about to snap from all her walking and standing around. Merissa had been out for hours now and Marik would most likely be wondering where she was. He might even be out looking for her now. Deciding that it was time to go home and get some rest, Merissa pulled out her cell phone to call Marik to pick her up. There was silence for a second before it began to dial. She waited a while longer before a slightly flustered Marik answered.

"Merissa? Where are you? Do you know what time it is? You shouldn't be out for as long as this! You need to get some rest!" scolded Marik from the other end.

Merissa frowned at his tone of voice. Marik had become increasingly protective of her recently. He never let her do anything that would cause her to do even the tiniest amount of work for fear that she would strain herself. She was getting tired of it.

"I'm fine. Will you stop acting like taking a walk will kill me?" she growled, a hint of agitation in her voice. She was trying to keep her temper under control.

"I'm not suggesting a walk will kill you, but you can't just stay out for hours at a time. Have you sat down or eaten at all today while you were out?" he asked, knowing that she hadn't.

"No, I haven't, but that's probably because I've done enough sitting around to last me a lifetime" she replied. "I'm finished now so come and pick me up at the mall" she said, switching the phone off.

The shop attendants helped Merissa take her bags to the car park where Marik would soon be picking her up. There were a lot of bags and she couldn't be expected to carry all of them. Not even she was stupid enough to risk that. After about ten minutes, Marik drove up in Odion's car. He had lent it to him until they had sorted out everything else and were ready to buy their own.

Marik had an unreadable expression on his face. He got out of the car and seemingly snatched the bags from Merissa's hands as soon as she had packed them up to help pack into the car boot. Merissa looked at him strangely. He wasn't in a good mood, she could tell. And she also knew he was about to let her know all about it. She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, getting into the front of the car while Marik packed the shopping away. He got in minute later and drove off to their flat.

"What's wrong?" she asked wearily as Marik nearly skidded round a corner.

"What's wrong?" repeated Marik disbelievingly. "I'll tell you what's wrong. You should be taking this pregnancy more seriously! You go out for hours on end without resting or eating. You carry heavy loads everywhere you go and you don't even realise your doing it! You're not even bothering to take care of yourself!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to do anything unless I had your say so" she replied sarcastically.

"I'm not stopping you from doing anything" said Marik indignantly, stopping at a red light.

"Oh no? Then how come you're having a go at me for 'one' days shopping? I haven't been out for two weeks Marik because you said I should get some rest!"

"And don't you feel better for it?" he asked.

"No I don't! I feel restless! You try sitting on your ass all day with nothing to do but watch daytime television! It gets boring very quickly. And I can't even go out to break the day up because I'm supposed to be resting!" she growled. "I can't even talk to my friends as much as I used to because they all have school and homework!"

"Look, I know how you're feeling..." said Marik, before being cut off.

"Oh do you now?" said Merissa. "How exactly? What do you do all day? Let me think. You get up, you have breakfast, you go to work, you talk to people, you go for a drink after work with Odion you come home, then go out for a ride on your bike and come back and eat and go to sleep, possibly doing other bits in between. What do I do? I get up, eat breakfast, I watch TV, I eat, I watch TV, I eat, I watch TV, oh wait, I sense a pattern"

"It's not as bad as that" groaned Marik driving off again. "You're probably just feeling that way because of your hormones. It understandable for someone in your condition"

Merissa slowly turned to look at him. "Excuse me? What do you mean my condition? I'm pregnant! I'm not sick so don't treat me like I am!"

"I'm not…" started Marik.

"Yes you are! You keep saying that you're doing this for me, to make me feel better, but you're making me feel worse! I can't do anything with you around because you'll tell me I'll strain myself or get hurt. I feel like I'm suffocating. You never acted like this before I was pregnant. It makes me wonder if it's really me you're worried about. Maybe you're not even bothered at all what you're doing to me. Just like when we were children…"

Marik nearly crashed the car when he heard this. It was lucky that they had pulled up outside their flat now. He didn't think he would be able to drive safely after that little statement. He stared at Merissa as she got out of the car. He was lost for words. She wouldn't even look him in the face and her eyes seemed misty with tears, he couldn't tell because she had quickly turned her back and hurriedly walked inside. Did she really see him as that person he once was? The one that did anything and everything he could to upset her? The one he thought he had seen the last of?

That thought alone hurt him deeply. Was he really making her life a misery? All he wanted to do was protect her. He didn't want her to get hurt. Not just because she was pregnant with his child, although that was an important factor, but because he loved her so much.

"Am I trying too hard to protect her?" he thought to himself. "The more I try, the more distant she becomes. Am I being too overprotective?"

He thought back to what she had said in the car. Yes, he did have a busy social life. He went to work, and went out for drinks with friends and colleagues and rode his bike by himself as a way to get away from it all. What did Merissa do? She never left the house because he had insisted she stay and rest. She sat around doing nothing all day, and wasn't able to talk to people because they were busy with school or work. She couldn't talk to him because he was out most of the time and whenever she called him at work he had things to do and got irate with her for calling at a busy time.

Merissa was always a busy person. She hated sitting around doing nothing and that is exactly what he had forced her to do. She was one of those people that had to be doing something. And there was only so much she could do in that small flat.

"Maybe she's right. I haven't changed at all" he thought sadly. "I have to do something. We have been married for three months and already I'm making her life a misery. If I don't sort this mess out she'll leave me before the baby is even born!"

Marik unpacked the things his wife had bought and left them inside the hallway of their flat. He turned around and headed back to the car. He got inside and turned the keys, driving off towards the town.

-------------------- a couple of hours later

Merissa sat on the floor in the nursery. It was complete now, with the exception of the things she had bought in town today to decorate it with. She smiled dejectedly. She should be happy, looking at her baby's beautifully decorated room which he would be occupying in a few months time. But for some reason she just felt empty. Marik hadn't come inside after their argument in the car. She knew that what she had to him had hit a nerve, and almost regretted saying it to him. But a part of her was still angry for the way he saw her as some weak pregnant woman. She was made of tougher stuff then that! after all, she and her baby had survived a brutal attack from her brother Baal. She could handle a shopping trip!

The longer she sat there, the more confused she became. She had so many thoughts going around in her head, she could barely remember what had started the argument in the first place, and wasn't even sure if it was worth staying mad at Marik. He meant well. He just needed to realise that she needed to move around and have her own space outside the flat.

"Hey there…." said a quiet voice behind Merissa.

"Hey there…" she replied just as quietly.

"So what do you think of the nursery?" asked Marik, sitting on the floor beside his wife awaiting her approval.

"It's perfect. You did a wonderful job on it Marik. Thank you…"

"Look Miri, I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry I've been making you feel like a prisoner here and I'm sorry I haven't spent much time with you. I know you need my support more then ever right now"

"That's ok…" she replied quietly.

"Well no it's not really" said Marik. "So to make up for it, I promise I will spend more time with you and I wont keep pestering you to stay home and rest all day, everyday. Feel free to do whatever it is you want to do, go shopping or whatever, but please don't forget to take breaks if you get tired and eat when you're hungry. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable"

Merissa looked at Marik and smiled. "Thank you, that means a lot to me"

"I know it does. So that's why I've decided we are going to go out tonight for a meal. Just the two of us. what do you think?"

Merissa smiled eagerly. "I think that's a great idea. I don't know why you never suggested it sooner"

Marik got up from his crossed leg sitting position and helped Merissa up from hers.

"Come on, I got us a table booked at a certain restaurant I know you'll like" he grinned.

Merissa lifted a brow in confusion at his retreating form before realising he may be referring to the place her took her to on their first date together. The place where she had asked the waiter if they killed their lobsters humanely or not. The place they had wined and dined at before conceiving little Namu. She loved that place. They had gotten to know each other much better there. Merissa had lots of fond memories of that time.

It would be expensive, but they didn't splash out on things like this very often, and she did need a little cheering up after having such a hard time, so she was very agreeable with the idea. It would also mean spending time with her husband which she wanted more then anything else right now. Merissa walked out of the nursery and switched off the light, closing the door behind her as she went to change into something more suitable.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Chapter 47: It Begins

After their little argument, things were back on track between Marik and Merissa. She had undergone a miraculous change in character since he allowed her to wander about as she pleased. She didn't understand why Marik had acted like that in the first place, but then who was she to know how a mans mind worked? "Leave them to get on with it" she thought with a smile. She went out with her friends as much as she could, keeping her promise to Marik to rest and eat whenever she needed to. Marik also made more of an effort. He took her out for romantic walks along the beach and showered her with gifts and kisses. She was blissfully happy and couldn't imagine her life to be better. Her life was perfect.

Two months later, and the young couple were waiting impatiently for the arrival of their baby. There was only a month to go now and both parents were getting restless. Marik had taken to hiding in the garage with his bike now because Merissa's moods were becoming unbearable. He knew it wasn't her fault; it was her hormones doing somersaults. But it didn't stop him from getting exasperated at her for it. So in order to keep the peace in the house, he had learned to recognise the warning signs. When Merissa was about to explode, her eyes took on an almost fiery gleam to them. Whenever he saw that gleam, he made his excuses and ran off to allow her time to cool down.

Marik was in the museum this morning, talking to his sister about his troubles.

"She's driving me crazy!" Marik growled. "Don't get me wrong, I love Merissa very much and would do anything for her, but im constantly having to watch what I do to make sure she stays in a relatively good mood!"

Ishizu watched her exasperated brother with a smile. He paced around the office, his hands in his hair nearly ripping clumps out.

"Im afraid there is nothing you can do about it brother until your son is born" she grinned. "Don't worry, there's only one more month to go"

"I doubt I can survive another month" Marik groaned, exhaling and slumping into a nearby leather sofa at the side of the room. He propped his feet up and began to rub his temples in an attempt to rid himself from the pounding headache that made his head feel like a balloon. He was ready to pop at any moment.

He cringed when the sound of the telephone rang through his eardrums. He growled at the pain and glared at his sister to answer the d**n thing. Ishizu ignored the look he gave her and began speaking to the person on the other line. She looked at Marik with a sympathetic glance before holding the phone out to her brother.

"It's Merissa," she stated simply.

Marik groaned and slowly rolled off the leather sofa, and onto the floor. He got up on his knees and onto his feet, slowly walking towards the dreaded item in his sisters hand. He took it hesitantly and placed it to his ear.

"Hello?" he said carefully and calmly.

He cringed when a female voice rang through the earpiece of the phone. It took him a few seconds to gather himself together enough to be able to talk back to his wife.

"Im with Ishizu" he said evenly. "I was just helping her with something" he lied.

Ishizu rolled her eyes and straightened the papers on her desk.

"Yes, I'll be right back" he said with a slightly defeated tone and handed it back to his sister. "and that's my cue to leave" he grinned. "She wants me to pick something up. Mustn't keep her ladyship waiting now"

-----------------------------------------------------------------at home

Half an hour later Marik had returned home, his arms weighed down with shopping bags. It took him a few minutes to gather everything together to keep them from falling onto the floor. He walked towards the door that connected the garage to the kitchen. He shifted the bags in his arms and reached out to turn the handle.

"Marik, you're home!"

Marik jumped back, nearly losing his grip on the shopping, trying to recover from the heart attack his wife had given him. He looked up at her, panicked that she would begin to lay into her with her fearsome female fury. He was relieved however to see that she had a smile on her features.

"I'm sorry Marik. I just had to do that" she smiled, reaching out to help her husband with one of the lighter bags.

"It's ok" he smiled "anything that cheers you up I guess. I hope you won't make a habit out of it though?" he said raising a brow.

"I wont" Merissa promised, holding a hand up. "Besides, I won't get too many chances to" she said, laying a hand on her extremely swollen stomach. "He's going crazy recently. He won't stop moving around. It's driving me nuts. If he's like this before he's even been born you can guarantee we won't be having much sleep for the next year or so"

Together they began packing all the shopping away. Well, Marik putting the stuff away while Merissa watched him. It was probably the same thing. Watching people work can make a person very tired.

"Marik, do you mind if I sleep a little more? I feel really sleepy…"

"Go ahead" he replied, getting out various vegetables and pans. "Do you want me to call you when lunch is ready or do you want me to keep it for when you wake up?" he didn't want to assume.

"You go ahead. I'll eat later" she replied, getting a pillow out and laying it on the couch. She steadily sat herself down and made herself comfortable, falling asleep almost instantly.

------------------------------------------

Merissa squirmed in her sleep. For some time now she had been comfortable and her dreams were that of a calming nature, but for the past half hour she had been restless and uncomfortable. She jolted in her sleep, waking herself up in the process. Looking at the clock on the wall she saw that she had only been asleep for two hours. Strange as it has seemed like so much longer then that. She rested her head back onto the pillow and stared at the ceiling.

She was aware that she was quite feeling well, but brushed it off. Her baby seemed to be squirming around, but not as much as it had before. It was odd. Marik was in the corner of the room reading a magazine about bikes, unaware that his wife was now awake. Anuket began rubbing her stomach, suddenly aware of a dull ache. It was like period cramps, no biggie. She'd had them before. Nothing she couldn't handle.

She got up slowly from the couch, and headed towards the bathroom.

"Have a nice sleep?" asked Marik.

"Not really" she replied, closing the door behind her.

Merissa turned the tap on and splashed the cold water onto her face. she used a towel to pat her face dry and stared at herself for a moment in the mirror. Ra she looked tired. She could definitely use a good sleep. She wondered to herself whether or not she should go to the doctor and ask for something herbal to help her make it all the way through the night.

Her thoughts were interrupted however when a sharp pain, though not a strong one, made its way through her abdomen. She clutched her stomach from the shock. Surely the baby wasn't coming now? there was a whole month to go yet! her doubts were confirmed though when water appeared on the floor where she was standing. She knew knew instantly that this was her water breaking and decided this was the time to let her husband know the news.

"Marik?" she called, trying to keep her voice even.

"what?" he replied.

"I think its time we called the hospital!"

Back