• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Tips on capturing via Dongle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB.

'PB
Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    I have been trying to capture Growlithe with the dongle method on Platinum and no luck after two hours of trawling Routes 201 and 202. Any tips?

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • Persistence... really.
    You can chain, but obviously that will only work if you can find a growlithe in the first place.
    So the only real way to do it is keep working at it. Are you sure you've got the right game in and all that?

Years
  • What he said. Growilthe are only available with FireRed in the GBA slot. I've also found that the Pokeradar helps a bit in weeding out the common pokemon on those routes. So you can try that too. You may even find a Sentret in the process.

ShadowSalamence

Fan of the Dragon Pokemon
    Years
  • After you have seen Growlithe for the first time, the odds of encountering it again increase.
    Keep in mind that this procedure requires patience.

Last edited:

PB.

'PB
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    Persistence... really.
    You can chain, but obviously that will only work if you can find a growlithe in the first place.
    So the only real way to do it is keep working at it. Are you sure you've got the right game in and all that?

Right, well i have Fire Red in but it doesn't have a save file as the internal battery dried up. Will that effect it?

What he said. Growilthe are only available with FireRed in the GBA slot. I've also found that the Pokeradar helps a bit in weeding out the common pokemon on those routes. So you can try that too. You may even find a Sentret in the process.

Yeah, i got a Sentret, but I thought you couldn't get Growlithe through Poke'Radar?

After you have Growlithe for the first time, the odds of encountering it again increase.
    Keep in mind that this procedure requires patience.

Okay cool, I went the grass and got 50 wild battles: 32 Bidoofs, 12 Starlys, 4 Shinx and 2 Kricitot.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • Right, well i have Fire Red in but it doesn't have a save file as the internal battery dried up. Will that effect it?

No, it shouldn't. As long as your game recognizes Fire Red, it should be able to work as a dongle.

Yeah, i got a Sentret, but I thought you couldn't get Growlithe through Poke'Radar?

You can. While you have the dongle in, you can get any pokémon from the dongle through chaining as you can using the regular method.

Okay cool, I went the grass and got 50 wild battles: 32 Bidoofs, 12 Starlys, 4 Shinx and 2 Kricitot.
    I'm not sure if he meant it the way you took it, but if he did then he's wrong. Just encountering pokémon will not increase the chances of finding them.

First of all, can you migrate Pokemon from FireRed?
    If he has no save file, then he obviously can't.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back