• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Tips on catching MewTwo

katonic

i'm a lover not a fighter
Years
  • I am finding it really tough to catch mewtwo in firered. I used my masterball on entei, so I just have ultra and great balls. So far I use a gloom to paralyse it then get its health down to red and chuck balls at it. Usually I end up killing it, but the last battle was pretty immense and I exhausted it's moves and eventually it struggled itself to death :( What's the most effective status problem I can give it? and is it true that I can get timer balls somewhere in the game? They would help a lot! Any help would be greatfully appreciated :D x

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I'm not sure which status effect is the most effective, but I know you can buy Timer Balls (and other balls like Repeat Balls) at the shop on Two Island. You have to have reached a certain level in the game for them to appear in his inventory, though.

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
  • Use FALSE SWIPE and then Sleep or Paralysis. You get Sleep by SPORE, HYPNOSIS or SLEEP POWDER, wich your Venusaur(i assume you have it, as you have Entei...) can learn, and Paralysis from for example STUN SPORE (Venusaur here too...). BUT! Mewtwo has a CR(Catch Rate) of 3, wich means you in 3 times out of 1000, affected by lost health, status and ball used, and if he uses Safeguard it will block both Sleep and Paralysis. I used my Master Ball, i liked chasing Latios, but it was before i realized thar Entei knows Roar...

katonic

Years
  • Can you get double status on firered? I know you can on diamond but any time I use spore when mewtwo is already paralysed it fails. And do you know what stage of the game you have to be at? I've defeated the elite 4 once, and caught entei and all the birds - do I need to complete my pokedex or something? Thanks for the help so far! x

Sevre90210

insert title here <----
    Years
  • I used Shadow Ball to get him down to the yellow zone before slowly hacking away at him with my Alakazam. Once I got him down to deep red I used hypnosis and started chucking red balls, at a capture rate of 3 its really down to luck.

groudonlover

Years
  • You can catch him when you have completed the Network Machine on One Island, PSYPOKES has a good guide to it, then he will be in the Unknown Dungeon waiting for you to capture it! Psypokes has a guide for that too

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Timer Ball is your best bet. After 30 turns, the Timer Ball will be 4 times as powerful as a regular Pokeball, making the Timer Ball arguably the strongest Pokeball in the game. I suggest inducing Sleep condition instead of Paralyze condition because the Sleep condition is twice as effective as the Paralyze condition. And of course, there's False Swipe, which you use when the opponent is near breaking point to get it down to 1HP and Sleep.

Timer Balls are on Two Island.

Clevink

Don't mess with Espeon...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    I've always found the sleep status is more effective than any other status ailment. Also, if you're using a VBA, use save states to help. Write one right before you click to send the Ultra Ball/Ball of choice and if it doesn't catch it, keep on doing it until it does. If not, just use Timers. Hope I helped!

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Ahah!
    I heard using a Pokeball at Orange HP does wonders? Not sure, but train up a VERY strong Scyther with False Swipe. Then just False Swipe till it's on 1HP and...Spore and Scary Face it. Yeah. Then just toss your Polkaballs

katonic

Years
  • thanks, some great suggestions! i'll keep trying with sleep instead of paralysis and get some timer balls, wish me luck! x

Years
  • Spore, False Swipe, and Timer Balls are basically all you need. False Swipe is a really weak attack, but with Spore, you can put Mewtwo back asleep almost immediately after it wakes up, and just keep attacking it until its left with 1% HP. Timer Balls work the best over any other ball in the game (other than Master Balls, obviously), and after a while, you should have a strong enough ball to capture Mewtwo quite easily.

Good luck.

MrsMime

Humanshape Pokemon
    Years
  • I agree with Clevink, sleep is definitely the most effective; at least it has been for me.
    I heard a rumour somewhere that you can only catch Mewtwo with a Masterball. XD

groudonlover

Years
  • You can catch him in a Dive Ball if you like, but he has a CR of 3, just as i said, making him one of the Hardest-to-Catch Pokemon Ever.
    Also, he has Recover at Capture, so make sure he STAY at low health.
    Now the 4rd gen move Heal Block would be useful, but the 2nd gen move Taunt would also work...

Years
  • You can catch him in a Dive Ball if you like, but he has a CR of 3, just as i said, making him one of the Hardest-to-Catch Pokemon Ever.
    Also, he has Recover at Capture, so make sure he STAY at low health.
    Now the 4rd gen move Heal Block would be useful, but the 2nd gen move Taunt would also work...
    ???

A Dive Ball is equal to a regular Poke-ball, unless it is used on seafloor Pokemon (Clamperl, Relicanth, etc.). That makes it extremely useless against a Mewtwo, let alone any other high leveled non-seafloor Pokemon.

Besides that, Dive Balls aren't even available in FR/LG. Dive is no longer used as an HM, and all of the underwater elements were taken out. The only place any are available is in Mossdeep City, in R/S/E.

groudonlover

Years
  • I KNOW!
    I just gave an example of a weak Pokeball, and no, you DON'T need a Masterball, but he has a 3 out of ethier 500 or 1000, i don't know which.........

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
  • I am finding it really tough to catch mewtwo in firered. I used my masterball on entei, so I just have ultra and great balls. So far I use a gloom to paralyse it then get its health down to red and chuck balls at it. Usually I end up killing it, but the last battle was pretty immense and I exhausted it's moves and eventually it struggled itself to death :( What's the most effective status problem I can give it? and is it true that I can get timer balls somewhere in the game? They would help a lot! Any help would be greatfully appreciated :D x

I was the same with my latest FireRed (I have multiple copies). However I still had the Master Ball. I was putting it to sleep and paralyzing it. No joy. In the end I got so tired of trying I used PokeBalls whilest it had full health.

Not too long after I finally got it in a PokeBall and it had full Health. :)

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Sleep, False Swipe and Timer/Poke balls. That's all you need. I'm starting again on my FR because I used AR on it and I had a Pidgeot at lvl 40 before 1 badge! Anyway, Mewtwo is tricky with 3 - 1000 chance of catching him unless MB is used.

Years
  • If I had no Master Ball, I would likely use Sleepy then Endeavor. The Recover is what scares me. But that would be why Encoring its use at full health, followed by Spite does so much.

As for Timer Balls, aren't they on Two Island? I suppose the Sleep to the turn count, then Paralysis for security would work, but I usually use my MB on Mewtwo only.

Too bad Dusk Balls aren't in GBA...

groudonlover

Years
  • You could use Taunt to stop him from using Recover or Safeguarrd, as both would ruin your chances of catching it...
    Then just throw balls at it!
    I threw my MB at it, before i knew of Entei.
    Luckily i have a Cheating Friend, so he sent me a lvl 100 Banette with a MB!

Back