• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tips on Learning Japanese

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    Lately, i've grown upset that my some of my favorite games aren't being translated into english, so instead of just sitting around and complaining until someone makes a patch for them, I decided to take an initiative and start learning Japanese. I figured some people on PC would have an idea on how to get started, and some stuff I might need to know.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Ichikool

D/P Lover
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NY
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    I'm sure there's lots of helpful computer programs out there that would be helpful if you want to learn Japanese. I haven't seen any around, but I heard learning the language is really hard to learn. But, I've never tried to myself so I wouldn't really know. If you're gonna give it a shot, I wish ya the best of luck!

speedinglight

Normal Human
    Years
    There are three different types of spelling for japanese wording

Hiragana for native japanese words

Katakana for foregin words (i.e. coffee)

and romanji for the phonetic spelling of words (i.e. 'tsu')

thats all i know

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I have found that it is nearly impossible to learn a language over the Internet. So when I decided I wanted to learn Japanese, I went to my university and bought the Japanese textbook. I'm not taking the class though, just reading the book. What I like about the book so far is that it lists the letters one by one, and gives an easy/crazy way to remember it.

For example, the hiragana letter "ku" looks like this: く

In the book, it gave a picture of a coukoo bird, with the く as the beak. It looked a little crazy to me at first, but I managed to learn all of the hiragana letters within two days. ^^

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    There are three different types of spelling for japanese wording

Hiragana for native japanese words

Katakana for foregin words (i.e. coffee)

and romanji for the phonetic spelling of words (i.e. 'tsu')

thats all i know
    There are five I know of, and they're called writing systems, and romanji/rōmaji is just the word for the romanisation of Japanese.

Now, GunSaberSeraph, the rest of my post concerns you:
    Kanji — Japan decided it'd steal Chinese symbols at some point in history. A good start would be learning the "most common 2000 kanji used in newspapers" as they are known. Yes, seriously, two bloody thousand at bare minimum. Reading names is what will stump you good and hard, but just remember the Japanese are still learning how to read this stuff in grade 9. xD

Man'yōgana — Chinese symbols used for their sounds rather than meaning, eventually turned into short-form-like writing, becoming hiragana and katakana. Completely obsolete (like the English thorn letter :B), learning it will only make you able to read really old manuscripts, which is not what you're learning Japanese for. xD

Hentaigana — Archaic writing system in the same or a similar league as hiragana and katakana. Don't worry about this one, it's rarely used even in Japan, definitely never in its games.

Hiragana — Just your bog standard writing, but Japanese.

Katakana — Easiest one to read and write (in my opinion), usually used for writing foreign words.

Laugh at hentaigana if you must.
    Wikipedia has very useful tables of hiragana and katakana, it'd be best to master those first. Many simpler games like Pokemon only use these two systems (or even only one of them). Wikipedia also has some learning resources at the bottom of the pages, I think.

Last edited:

devilicious

dream
    Years
    Self-studying Japanese is a less-than-viable way to learn it.

I suggest finding somewhere in your city that offers classes and enroll for them. I mean, seriously.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    Yeah, it probably is. But just learning the letters is easy to do yourself. I think so, at least. Once I do that I'll have a better background than some.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    Yeah, it's easy to memorize Hiragana and Katakana by yourself. If you're going to do that, remember to practice their calligraphy, it helps a lot with the memorization.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    There are five I know of, and they're called writing systems, and romanji/rōmaji is just the word for the romanisation of Japanese.

Now, GunSaberSeraph, the rest of my post concerns you:
    Kanji — Japan decided it'd steal Chinese symbols at some point in history. A good start would be learning the "most common 2000 kanji used in newspapers" as they are known. Yes, seriously, two bloody thousand at bare minimum. Reading names is what will stump you good and hard, but just remember the Japanese are still learning how to read this stuff in grade 9. xD

Man'yōgana — Chinese symbols used for their sounds rather than meaning, eventually turned into short-form-like writing, becoming hiragana and katakana. Completely obsolete (like the English thorn letter :B), learning it will only make you able to read really old manuscripts, which is not what you're learning Japanese for. xD

Hentaigana — Archaic writing system in the same or a similar league as hiragana and katakana. Don't worry about this one, it's rarely used even in Japan, definitely never in its games.

Hiragana — Just your bog standard writing, but Japanese.

Katakana — Easiest one to read and write (in my opinion), usually used for writing foreign words.

Laugh at hentaigana if you must.
    Wikipedia has very useful tables of hiragana and katakana, it'd be best to master those first. Many simpler games like Pokemon only use these two systems (or even only one of them). Wikipedia also has some learning resources at the bottom of the pages, I think.

Okay, so I should start at Hiragana and Katakana. Thanks for the tips Cassino. And.. teehee... hentaigana...

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    besides getting actual words down, you're really going to need to find somewhere where you can learn how their grammar system works. Granted it IS possible to figure it out via listening/reading enough (piecing stuff together, in other words), it's much easier to learn from somewhere/one who actually teaches Japanese.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    bleh, better off just learning otherwise since we're probably assuming that he doesn't have money to throw around.
    but ya, as Casty said, Japanese is one of the easiest languages grammar-wise, mostly because everything's actually organized into the sentences, making it extremely easy to point out things like the subject, adjectives, direct objects, etc.

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    Yeah... Japanese 1 is easy because you don't actually learn much grammar. In my Japanese 1 class, I learn hiragana, katakana, and some basic kanji, and learned how to say simple sentences (very formal sentences). I thinkk the hardest thing to do in learning a language is learning it's grammar, which starts out simple, but eventually gets complicated because it doesn't follow the same type of grammar your own language has.

Definitely start with memorizing hiragana/katakana (they're the same sounds, each hiragana letter has a coresponding katakana letter) because once you're able to read everything, translating is a lot easier. I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is vocabulary. You need to just burn a bunch of japanese words for things into your head. And it's not just ringo means apple, or else when you hear a word you're going to translate word by word in your head when some one speaks japanese to you. You have to think in japanese. I hold and apple and think ringo, or say dame da to a bad situation. That's the hard part for me, letting go of what i know in enlgish to understand it as japanese.

Also make sure you get your pronunciation right, or else it's going to be weird when someone else speaks to you in japanese. Buying a text book is a good idea, but it takes a long while before you can memorize enough kanji, vocabulary, and grammar to actually read something in videogames (unless it's a kids game like pokemon which uses basic japanese).

My final word of advice is not to travel up this river alone, a class would definitely help you out a lot. Just getting to know the basics of grammar and the 3 alphabets (Hiragana, katakana, and kanji) is really important and hard to do on your own. Good luck.

Years
    I'm doind the same thing as you, I began to practive/learn Japanese because of the games, but since I don't have too much time to go to college or some other place to learn the language, I get myself this amazing program called The Rosetta Stone with this program you're able to learn the language the same way you did it with your native language. Is really cool and helpful, if you can, give it a try. I'm just at the firsts lessons and is really basic (dog, cat, coffe, girl, boy, etc.) and it really works, slowly but works.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    ごんばてください![Please try your hardest!]

If you're going to teach yourself, I seriously recommend Genki. :3 You can get it from the Japan Times Website and it's not horrendously expensive. It has a good balance of grammer points etc to go thru plus it has a listening CD. It's a college level book and one of the characters is a pedophile [Darn you Robert...] but it has so much good in it.

Also, find yourself a せんぱい [sempai] to talk with or send little essays to have them checked.

I myself took 4 years of Japanese and after this year, I'll be getting a BA in Japanese. <3 so you can ask me if you want but I'm sure you can find somebody else too.

Speak it. :x You'll hinder yourself if you just read and write it and by not speaking it, when you try and speak it you might say it wrong and the japanese people will call you a silly gaijin. :<

If you can afford it, [as it's bloody expensive] Rosetta Stone is a good program but it's no replacement for an actual class. I know I got lucky, with my highschool offering it, but if you are serious about learning it, looking online for an online Japanese class or when you look at colleges, make that a factor when you go look at them. ^^

Lastly, learn your katakana and hiragana and then, asap, start learning Kanji. Many games, like Pokemon, are written in hiragana/katakana with basic kanji because of the target age group but more complicated games will have up to 3k kanji you'll need to know. :3 It seems insane and in a way it is but Kanji makes your life SO much easier when trying to read. T3T I only know about 2k and I can barely read anything..... みなさん〜いしょうに日本語を勉強しましょうね?[let's study Japanese together, kay?]

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    I'm learning japanese myself by watching japanese anime with subtitles. It's been very useful and now I can understand half of what they're saying even without subs. My greatest achievement is being able to count to nine thousand nine hundred and ninety-nine. ^^
    Here are the words I've learned so far:

Konnochiwa: Hello
    Moshi Moshi: Hello on the telephone
    Sayonara: Good-bye
    Arigatou: Thank you
    Arigatou Gozaimasu: Thank you very much
    Ohaiyo: Morning
    Ohaiyo Gozaimasu: Good Morning
    Nani: What
    Nande: Why
    Nani Kore: What is that
    Ichigo: Strawberry