• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tips & Tricks You've Learned Along The Way?

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
  • I didn't find a tips & tricks-type thread, so I thought I'd create one.

I recently found a good way to stall indefinitely in S.O.S. battles. It is especially useful when you are waiting for a low-spawn via S.O.S. *coughEspeoncough*

The general knowledge is that the best option is a False Swipe Pokemon with the Pressure/Unnerve/Intimidate abilities (I prefer Intimidate, personally!) and to avoid using Paralysis/Sleep in S.O.S. battles. Of course, throw in that fancy Adrenaline Orb, too. (Serebii)

I made a mistake earlier that proved to be incredibly useful, though. I accidentally used a Potion on a Pokemon with full HP, and instead of it giving me an error message and prompting for a different input for the same turn in battle, it returned to the battle screen, said 'There was no effect' and used up a turn. At first, I was ticked because I was running low on Potions (because of tanking hits in S.O.S. battles), and I thought for sure that the Potion would've been used up anyway since my turn was taken. Except, it wasn't. I therefore managed to stall for about 100 turns by continuously spamming a Pokemon with no status condition with Antidotes (for example). The Antidote was never used, but the my turn passed anyway, allowing me to stall for more 'X called for help' prompts.

This was useful especially because I ran out of support moves and I was on the verge of having to end my streak by KO'ing the opponent. Or, I would have to use Elixirs or expensive other options - like spamming X Attacks - in order to keep the battle going. Alternatively, you can keep switching out Pokemon, but this 1) takes more time, and 2) removes your Ability bonus to force S.O.S. spawns, which can prove disadvantageous (unless you keep a full team of Unnerve/Pressure/Intimidate Pokemon). In conclusion, things were going pretty bad, and I am glad that I made that mistake with the Potion earlier, because it allowed me to stall for an additional forty turns to spawn an Umbreon.

What are some things that you have learned along the way in Alola that was useful to you or may be useful to your PokePeers?

Last edited:

Kobazco

Gex Fan
    Years
    • they/she
    • Seen Nov 21, 2023
    Fishing in the water trial area for Pearls/Big Pearls. Smashing Rocks in Poni Coast for stardust and shards, these kind of areas can provide quite a bit of easy money.

Years
  • Thanks to a video from Verlisify, I realized how good ramming through rocks on Poni Coast to get Star Pieces, Stardust and Comet Shards was if you wanted easy money.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2018
    For an in-depth Tip/Trick I'll tell you guys how I'm currently SOS chaining for a Mimikyu.
    I'm using two pokemon- Kadabra and Smeargle.

My Kadabra is set up for a Synchronizer. Adamant Nature, leveled up to 99(almost there!), holding leftovers, with the moves Roleplay, Recover, Kinesis, and Shadowball.

My smeargle(~Lvl 80) is set up with Spore, Roost, False Swipe, and Soak. Holding a Leppa berry. (Most people will suggest Recycle. This is good if you aren't using a Synchronizer for most of the battle, and the slot is needed here for Soak. )

So to preface, I think I've found a glitch. Soak is used to turn Mimikyu to water type, which allows False Swipe to work. When using soak the 1st turn, it says Mimikyu's typing changed, but the disguise is not broken. So then I false swipe to break the disguise. However, using false swipe again after this doesn't work. It seems that the disguise is turned water-type instead of mimikyu on 1st turn. So 3rd turn is to use soak(again) this allows 4th turn False Swipe. Best case scenario is that Mimikyu mimic's my soak. That'll be useful a bit later. Worst case he grabs False Swipe which isn't a threat as well. Rinse and repeat False Swipe until Mimikyu is below half health. I tend to leave it just past half to allow for struggle damage if I mess up.

At this point, I want to get my Kadabra in ASAP so that I have my synchronize active in all SOS battles. So I switch out, and then pop a Adrenaline Orb. From here on it gets quite repetitive. If the Mimikyu mimiced soak, then it'll eventually turn Kadabra into water type to help avoid super effective moves and keep him alive easier.
    Typically I'll use two Shadow Balls to knock out the SOS Mimikyu. If one isn't called on a turn, I have a few options. Kinesis can be used as a filler, and drops the original Mimikyu's accuracy, saving me damage through the battle. Additionally, if I've taken a couple critical hits, I'll use recover to make up the difference, but typically Leftovers is enough to keep Kadabra healthy(especially when soaked). I can also use a turn with a leppa berry to refill my PP on moves. If these options aren't needed, I'll hit the adrenaline orb again, using up my turn without using up another orb(it fails). From here on out it's rinse repeat. Every so often, I'll knock out the original Mimikyu, switch to Smeargle, and set-up the new Mimikyu. Kadabra's roleplay isn't used here, but can be used for other SOS battles to check for Hidden Ability. However, this makes you lose the Synchronize effect(assumed, not confirmed), so using this would force you to break a chain.

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Grass Types are immune to Leech Seed and Powder moves. This isn't exactly 'new' news but it made chaining for a Shiny Cottonee much much easier as Level 10 Cottonee could only hit me with Fairy Wind as I did not need to worry about status. Using Tsareena, Lurantis and Dhelmise I was able to obtain a Shiny Cottonee hassle free. In Moon this should work for chaining Petilil too. :)

Tsareena's Queenly Majesty blocks priority moves such as Quick Attack and Sucker Punch but I have also found it blocks Prankster based priority such as Cottonee's Leech Seed. :)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • That Fairy-type moves are super effective against Fighting-type moves. I feel like I'm really late with this one but it was only when properly using a Fairy-type Pokémon on my team (Mimikyu) against many Fighting Pokémon that I realized that lmao.

Years
  • A pokemon with the ability cute charm, in front of your team increase the chance of wild pokemon with the opposite sex!

Compoundeyes actually increased the chance of wild pokemon holding an item! :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Roggerola will have Everstones (50% Chance.)

Staryu will have Stardusts (Easy money if you want to sell them. Also underneath them there will be an extra Stardust.)

The beach at Akala's Second Resort will have tones of stuff (Pearls, Heart Scales, etc) for Stoutland to dig up

-Pyumuku Toss once a day to get 20k

-Lucky Egg + Alolan Rattata (Found in the Akala Outskirts) gets a tone of exp for quick training

-Amulet Coin + Elite Four = money.

-Though Lilipup is a good pokemon that can learn the Pickup ability it's a pain in the ass when it evolves (because when you catch them in the Poni ranch place it's close to evolving) I suggest you get a Meowth from the first Island and work your way from there. There's a huge amount of rare items that you can get from Meowth's pickup ability. Catch a tone of Meowth, add them in your party, plus a Pokemon that can handle battles (like a level 50 or 70 mon) do some sweeping and after a while you could even get items like Big Nuggets or Destiny Knots.

-Poke Polego - Farm your own berries. IV & EV reducing berries ALWAYS save these in case you want to IV/EV train. IV/EV training doesn't work with Hyper Training if you want to breed and train your Pokemon properly.

-How to complete the Pokemon Global Link Challenge -Breed a bunch of Pokemon, or if your in need of Everstones catch a bunch of Roggenerola. If you don't know what you're going to do with the rest of the Everstones (though i'm sure you'll need them for something) sell them. They sell for a lot, and it's easy money.

-Later you can release the Pokemon you caught if you find you don't have enough space for other mon. You can also use Knock off, like with the others listed, though if you want to fill up that count quickly for the challenge and just release them later this is a good way to go, at least I think.

-There are special spots that appear that you can literally fish for Big Pearls or Regular Pearls. Just keep an eye out for them while your walking around.

For breeding, make sure you catch a Fletchinder (on Route 8, so you don't have to evolve Fletchling) with Flame Body (or Magby right next to Kiwae's Trial on Akala Island) and put the said Pokemon with Flame Body in the front of your party. Go to the front of the daycare and activate your Tarous ride in the middle of the fenced off area (he will fit don't worry) and press B to dash, use the circle pad to spin (these count as steps as the Nursery Lady will give you an egg after a while) and it'll take around a minute for your egg to hatch.

-turn text speed to fast and battle animations off to speed up game. Good for when your trying to get through the game's story line or grinding your mon' for levels.

-Don't worry about getting BP until you've completed the game, and/or leveled up your Pokemon to level 50 or above. I haven't finished the game yet so BP aren't my main concern right now. Though you don't necessarily have to win to gain BP at the Battle Royal place, when you loose you get 1 BP per battle. Though when you achieve higher ranks, like Super, for instance, when you loose a battle in Super Rank at the BR you will gain 2 Points.

-Your BP also carry over from the Battle Tree.

-During your playthrough catch literally EVERY Pokemon you see. Even if you don't use it, catch it, because it maybe useful to someone else out there during a trade and also filling up your Pokedex is important.

BREEDING/IV TRAINING YOUR POKEMON GUIDE.

This guide also gives tips on how to level up your Pokemon

Things you will need.

Pokerus
    Power Items
    Everstone
    Destiny Knot
    False Swipe
    Adrenaline Orb

In past generations of Pokemon IV/EV training wasn't as easy until we got to X/Y which is where I actually started trying it out for myself. I'm not an experienced trainer, or breeder so this is a mock up guide that I have made trying to explain this as easily and quickly as possible for SuMo players to comprehend.

Power Items are now enhanced compared to previous gens. Instead of 4+ Evs you now get 8 Evs.

List of Power Items and what they do:

Power Weight 8+ HP
    Power Bracer 8+ Attack
    Power Belt 8+ Defense
    Power Lens 8+ Special Attack
    Power Band 8+ Special Defense
    Power Anklet 8+ Speed

Here are the locations for the Pokemon and how many EVs you gain.

HP: Caterpie - Route 1 - 1 EV
    Attack: Yungoos/Pikipek - Route 1 - 1 EV
    Defense: Roggenrola - Ten Carat Hill (Cave) - 1 EV
    Sp. Attack: Psyduck - Brooklet Hill - 1 EV
    Sp. Defense: Tentacool - Melemele Sea - 1 EV
    Speed: Spearow/Cutiefly/Delibird - Route 3 - 1 EV

So this means, you gain 9 EVS with one of the Power Items equipped. That's why it's highly recommended you grab these before you start training/breeding.

To make things go by quicker, use False Swipe on a Pokemon to cut it's HP down to 1, then, use an Adrenaline Orb to make it call out an Ally Pokemon. When they do, keep attacking the ally Pokemon until you've done so SEVEN TIMES IF YOU HAVE SPREAD POKRUS. THOUGH IF YOU HAVEN'T YOU WILL NEED TO DEFEAT THEM 14 TIMES.

When you are done, defeat the one on the right and you will now have a fully EV trained Pokemon! And - if you have equipped Exp. Share your EV/IVs. will have spread to the rest of your team so they have also spread as well!

Denrew

Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • I'm not 100% about this but it did work for me.

Ability Synchronize can now affect the nature of Pok?mon from Mystery Gift.

Years
  • This is one I assume most that I just learned. If you press L + R + Select + Start all at once it will restart the software without having to go through the homescreen. Previously, I was closing out the game due to being unaware of this. Hopefully this finds someone that didn't know about it!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I just wanna point out to OP that you should actually avoid having a Pokemon with Pressure as your SOS Pokemon, because that just doubles the amount of times you're forced to switch your call Pokemon, since you're draining their PP twice as fast.

Speaking of SOS though, if you have a chain of either 30 or 40, you're guaranteed a minimum of 4 perfect IVs. This does cap out at a chain of 255 though, in which it resets and you have to work toward an additional 30/40 to get 4 perfect IVs again.

Vexingking

Complete Form
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Dec 23, 2016
    Great tips here, drag your stylus for poke beans - my OCD thanks you!

Use isle aphun (think that's the name) the island on pole pelago with the cave, for shard farming, dump in berries and send your team out to forage for shards every chance you get - later on you can trade those shards for bottle caps which are hard to farm otherwise.

This game throws money at you - complete the post game for a cool mil.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2017
    Quick trick to get Leftovers and Metal Coats

Hey, just wanted to share a quick trick I discovered to easily get items that are held by wild pokemon.
    1. Get a Butterfree with the ability Compound Eyes (aka every Butterfree without a hidden ability). Compound Eyes gives you a 50% chance that any wild Pokemon you meet is holding an item.
    2. Teach him Thief via TM

And voila, no more walking around with your Frisk Executor waiting to find that Magnemite with a Metal Coat. Downside is that wild Butterflies are only level 10-ish, so you'll have to train it if you plan on nabbing items from Pokemon outside of the first island

While I'm at it, here's a few useful items that can be found this way
    Razor Fang: Bruxish
    Razor Claw: Jangmo-o
    Leftovers: Munchlax
    Metal Coat: Magnemites, Skarmory and Beldum
    Kings Rock: Poliwhirl and Hariyama. Also Politoed and Slowbro, but since these need to be spawned via SOS, Poliwhirls and Hariyama are easier target. (Also according to Serebii, wild Hawlucha have them too...)
    Oval Stone: Hapinny (but using the Cave Island at Pokepelago will get you plenty with no effort)
    Magnet: Nosepass

Last edited:
    Back