• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

tl;dr

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    What do you think is easier to read? One big paragraph or several one liners? Note that they both say the same thing with the same amount of information. Are you more likely to say "tl;dr" at 1,000 characters in one paragraph, or 1,000 characters in ten paragraphs?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'm a really laid back person, and I generally don't really care about what others do online, but if someone tl;drs something, I almost always lose respect for them, because no matter what, reading is a great thing to do, and if you can't sit there and read a few paragraphs of text, then you're really lazy.

Anyway, I don't think either of them are easier to read, but I think more people would read the several one liner than the big paragraph. I know when someone makes a huge paragraph without breaking it down into smaller paragraphs, I often lose my place because I usually keep my browser at full screen and have a fluid style, so I don't know how many lines I've already read when I reach a new line of text. When I'm browsing, if I make a huge post, I try to keep each paragraph between three to maybe five lines max before making a new one, just because I like posts to be neat.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    I'd go tl;dr on the one paragraph one. It gets too confusing to go through that I just skipped the whole thing. But then again, a lot of one liners also makes me irritated.

I prefer seeing them in paragraphs more. It makes it much easier to read.

Years
    1,000 characters is 1,000 characters regardless. I view them the same way, regardless if it's broken up into paragraphs, or if it's one whole paragraph.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    In one paragraph. In most journalism classes you learn to limit your paragraphs to 5-8 sentences only. But I'd read it anyway. I usually only tl;dr when the syntax is too messy or if I have no interest at all for the material.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    Format means little to me, so it wouldn't have an effect on me I wouldn't think. I mean, there's obviously factors that I wouldn't be able to personally observe, and maybe if you ran an analysis on me while I wasn't aware of what was being tested, you might find that I do treat them differently.

I know personally that if something is drivel, I'm likely to skim and proceed to skewer it. If it's fascinating I might even read it twice. Or thrice, even.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    I'm a victim of the plague of ADHD, so practically anything can make me loose focus.

i find though i prefer to section off my text into smaller chunks, so i can focus on little bits at a time. (i put my kindle in 3rd largest text size)

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    What's easier to read? Either one. It depends on the substance of the post.

Some people can say in two sentences, what others might need paragraphs to explain. A long post doesn't always mean a good post. I generally read either one, though. If I'm interested in the topic, and someone writes a freakin' novel, I'm gonna read it whether or not I agree with their thoughts or opinions.

Though, there are some long posts where the person is clearly just filling space, and could've gotten the same point across in one paragraph instead of five. Those are really the only times that I skim, or pull the whole "tl;dr" thing, because I generally think using tl;dr as a response is pretty rude.

Years
    Doesn't matter to me, but personally, I generally put everything into a paragraph versus several sentences mainly because of how I have this weird habit of thinking that paragraphs look better than individual sentences \: My mind processes things in a strange way...I feel like people have a hard time reading my posts at times, especially the longer ones ;;

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    If someone can summarize all the information into two sentences, that's better than reading through all the meticulous details. If those details are important, include them separately, elsewhere, so I can read the major points and not have to go through everything at once.

Yukari

But anyway, It really doesn't matter to me. 1,000 is 1,000 characters.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    What does tl;dr even mean? ~_~

But anyway, It really doesn't matter to me. 1,000 is 1,000 characters.

tl;dr = too long, didn't read.

For some reason I end up loosing focus whenever I try to read a long paragraph, sooo I would much prefer to read a bunch of one liners.

Sirfetch’d

I don't care tbh, but in all honesty if its broken up into a bunch of paragraphs its going to appear to be a lot more to read. At least in my opinion!

Years
    I just speed through paragraphs looking for key words or big words.
    Too many short words have boring definition or contextual variance.
    As meme as the *TLDR* could be, I feel as though the use of it
    hinges on being a trolly move of a lazy person.

Khilia

Kawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets
    Years
    In my opinion, something that's split into lots of individual paragraphs is much more pleasant to read than one huge wall of text, since I might focus on the individuals better than if I had to take the text as a whole thing...

As well I find it easier to read things when the lines aren't as long; ergo when a text block only is mediocrely much words wide it's easier for me to read (and especially easier to not lose the line), than a text that is reeeeeeeeally wide and each line consists of a few sentences. :b

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    You need to break it up, it's called formatting. One big paragraph is just daunting on the eyes, of course I'm not going to read it if you can't even be bothered presenting it to me correctly.

Sir Codin

aka, "The ability to read hundreds of short posts, but somehow not one really long one."

Years
    TLDR; posts below are visual guides.

*Keep the text a limited amount, as demonstrated.
    This example may be over exaggerated. However, the point remains the same.
    Keep it in a smaller line of vision, and more broken up.

Summarizing without hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia helps.
    This ensures the reader isn't becoming confused. If only in this sense;
    they're NOT, accidentally, re-reading the same line.

Assuredly. Because there's ample space & diversity. Regardless:
    their comprehend-ability may be questionable. Simply put: The illusion
    of less, helps them read more. With hope they will do their best with the large words.

The sentence looks so tiny after all, misunderstanding a word here and
    there may effectively guilt them into seeking the definition. Go for the pride!
    Hit 'em hard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *Keep the text a limited amount, as demonstrated. This example may be over exaggerated. However, the point remains the same. Keep it in a smaller line of vision, and more broken up. Summarizing without hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia helps. This ensures the reader isn't becoming confused. If only in this sense; they're NOT, accidentally, re-reading the same line. Assuredly. Because there's ample space & diversity. Regardless: their comprehend-ability may be questionable. Simply put: The illusion of less, helps them read more. With hope they will do their best with the large words. The sentence looks so tiny after all, misunderstanding a word here and there may effectively guilt them into seeking the definition. Go for the pride! Hit 'em hard.

Personally, I feel as though select words are able to captivate my attention in the formatted-esk look.
    ...Easily can interesting concepts become lost in a non formatted slab of words.

* = 106 words following.

*A major issue with long sentences that go off the intended field of text vision can become a little intimidating. Because by the time you've finished letting your vision slide to the other side of the page, you could have already started reading the wrong text. Especially if there are similar looking words in a line a just a little later down in the paragraph. Which is bothersome, because then you get confused. And think "Wait, did I get that, or did they just mess up?" not to mention huge walls of text are an eyesore. Text is a six foot sandwich for your eyes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *A major issue with long sentences that go off the intended field
    of text vision can become a little intimidating. Because by the
    time you've finished letting your vision slide to the other side of
    the page, you could have already started reading the wrong text.

Especially if there are similar looking words in a line a just
    a little later down in the paragraph. Which is bothersome,
    because then you get confused. And think "Wait, did I get that,
    or did they just mess up?" not to mention huge walls of text
    are an eyesore. Text is a six foot sandwich for your eyes.

TLDR; posts above are visual guides.

Back