• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TLOU Part 2 Discussion

Years
  • Now that reviews have been released for the game, I would like to start a discussion on the game. After hearing the reviews were mostly positive I ended up deciding to watch some of the reviews to also check out more gameplay. Were some of you surprised that the game gotten a mostly positive reaction from game reviewers? Did the reviews change your mind on your decision about purchasing the game? Or did you disagree with any of the reviews?

I would also like to keep this discussion as spoiler free as possible and civil.

I'm extremely happy to see all the positive responses from people who have played the game, I know there will always be people who didn't enjoy the game, but to see mainly positive things makes my pre-order worth a lot more.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Aaaaaaaa i wish i could play this but i dont have a playstation console anymore :why:

The Last Of Us (1) is one of my favorite games ever. I expect TLOU2 to follow up, but I've remained so spoiler free that I actually have no idea where it takes the story, only that it's been some years.

Years
  • I'm in pretty much the same boat as Rika. I'm pretty clueless about everything since I haven't seen much of it, but I'm very excited to eventually play it since the original is my favourite game. I must admit, a part of me is a bit nervous it won't live up to my expectations, but hearing the reviews have by-and-large been positive does put me at ease.

pkmin3033

I am moderately interested in this. I absolutely hated the way The Last of Us just ended; it had one of the most unsatisfying conclusions I've seen in a video game in a long time. So a sequel that may actually provide a proper ending is interesting...but it's not full-price interesting. It's not that I didn't enjoy the original, but I never saw it as the groundbreaking experience that the media and fans made it out to be. It was engaging and interesting, but it wasn't anything special.

As for the noise surrounding it...well, it was inevitable. Both that it'd piss a lot of people off, because you can't please everyone, and that it'd get high scores from the media, because game journalists aren't allowed to be critical of video games that are made by certain developers. It's all a lot of meaningless babble that I have no intention of paying any attention to. As always, I will judge the game for myself, on my own standards, when I eventually pick it up...probably towards the end of the year, assuming it drops in price enough around Christmas.

Years
  • Today was release day, and all the haters began review bombing this game which really isn't a surprise to me. Since most are from people who didn't get the game because of the leaks, I question if people should even take them seriously. People take negativity way too far in my opinion, trash the reviewers and probably trash the people who enjoyed the game. I've learned just to not take agendas seriously when it comes to games, makes me appreciate games more. I've only played about 20 minutes last night when it unlocked, I am just going to take my time with the game and try to do as much as I can during my first play through.

Years
  • Honestly if I cared anything about the sequel I would be mad, however I do think the first game ended perfectly. Humanity was beyond saving as shown during the winter scenes, and Joel could not bare to lose another daughter for a cure that might or might not work. Ellie clearly knew Joel was lying, and was willing to accept it, living out the final days of the apocalypse with him and his brother. There really is no where else to go with their characters, they all completed their story arch and reached a conclusion.

pkmin3033

The people who review bomb the game are in some ways just as bad as the people who give it a perfect score, to be fair. Both are extremist viewpoints which are severely undermined by a lack of objectivity and an emphasis on meaningless number scores which in no way reflect the quality of the title, and actually de-value the opinion presented by boiling it down to a simple number. The problem is that the review bombers can't or won't argue their points eloquently for the most part, and they don't have official media backing either. It's a particularly messy minefield, as it always is with higher profile titles that are expected to receive a positive reception irrespective of their quality.

Honestly, I'd say to just let them - both review bombers and games journalists - get on with it and judge it for yourself. Your experience will always be inherently different from theirs so there is little point in reading their opinions when they swing towards the unbelievable.

I'm somewhat surprised this game hasn't appeared much in headlines, though...at least, not in the news websites and channels that I frequent. I've heard barely a peep from it, compared to the ridiculous buzz that was surrounding it with the leaks. I suppose everyone is waiting to let the sales numbers speak for themselves...as if those are any indication of how good or bad something is either. But it'll be interesting to see how well it does in its first week/month!

Years
  • https://www.dualshockers.com/the-la...-uk-physical-sales-fastest-selling-sony-game/

This is very interesting for a game with so much backlash. I'm actually curious of how it did here in the United States.

Not only that I am curious what the resale market looks like in a week or two, many people were not privy to the leaks or ignored them and found out the story just by playing it. If gamers are truly upset about it as twitter, YouTube, Reddit, etc are saying then most likely GameStop will get an influx of used games in the next week.

Years
  • Not only that I am curious what the resale market looks like in a week or two, many people were not privy to the leaks or ignored them and found out the story just by playing it. If gamers are truly upset about it as twitter, YouTube, Reddit, etc are saying then most likely GameStop will get an influx of used games in the next week.
    At the moment most game stores aren't allowing trade ins including Gamestop.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • gs is allowing trade-ins again fwiw, just credit only last i heard. anyway, i watched my partner play the game last weekend upon release (though i missed the first five-ish hours bc i was at work and he took the day off) and i'm watching him start his second run tonight. i'm not going to be specific or spoil anything but i'm going to use a spoiler tag just in case.

Spoiler:

Years
  • I'm friends with the manager at my local gamestop and she said they weren't accepting trade ins. That could just be my local one though. I'm not even gonna be trading in games anyway and I'm keeping my ps4 pro even when I get a ps5.

Back