• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: TLoZ: A Link to the Past (GBA) Map Editor

Iacobus

sǝɯɐɾ
Years
  • I think the title is self-explanatory. Anyway, the thing is that ZodiacDaGreat and I are working on a Map Editor for the GBA version of TLoZ: A Link to the Past.
    ZodiacDaGreat started this project and asked if I could help. Though I had not much time and did not find it that interesting at first (never even played this game), I helped him.
    For the last month I've had exams, so didn't do anything. ZodiacDaGreat didn't do anything either, he has been working on some other things.
    Since my exams are over, we decided to continue our work a couple of hours ago...
    ... and we made a lot of progress!
    If you like(d) this game and want to edit it, it'll soon be possible with our Map Editor; so be sure to check here for updates and give us some support.

You want some proof? Sure! Here is a screenshot of our WIP Map Editor:
    TLoZ: A Link to the Past (GBA) Map Editor

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • Lol, I used to play that game a lot as a kid, beat it 10 times now. LOOOOONG game.
    Looks like a good idea, though what purposes could this serve? Just to say that you can edit the maps?

ZodiacDaGreat

Working on a Mobile System
    Years
  • Well, and to expand the GBA ROM Hacking scene. From what I know the other ROMs people hack are Metriod, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Mario Kart... lol not sure but the list isn't long. Just to say it here, I also played that game alot and I still have it :P

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
  • Uhm, as far as I know and from what I've learnt. The Zelda games have no scripting system :( That's what MX told me for Minish Cap but I'm not sure for Link to the Past, I guess this thread can also prove useful for people to post their discoveries here.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Neato, but wasn't there a map editor for the SNES version? I I tried it before, but it was absolutely terrible. Every other block(which I think was 4 16x16 tiles) had glitchy tiles which I would assume either did nothing, or it had an effect on the type of tile it would be(jump down cliff, surf, fall down pit, etc.) Hopefully this one will be vastly superior to it.
    The only thing I can suggest is not making it so vanilla and changing the indoor names so it would be recognizable(bug catchers house is more memorable than map ###), but I'm just assuming this since this is the only screenshot.

But since we're talking about Zelda...

Last edited:

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
  • Ah, yeah it's called Hyrule Magic or something and from what I heard people tell me its buggy and all. Having names for all maps will certainly require a big Ini I think :P

lol That's a funny video.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Ah, yeah it's called Hyrule Magic or something and from what I heard people tell me its buggy and all. Having names for all maps will certainly require a big Ini I think :P

lol That's a funny video.
    Something like that. For some reason though, it worked fine in this screenshot, but it was still a cluttered mess, only a little similar to the clutter in the superior lunar magic.
    TLoZ: A Link to the Past (GBA) Map Editor

Hopefully you'll learn from their mistakes. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like you have giant block tiles like they did in RBY.

And yes, the Japanese did make those. They have a tendency of making commercials not related in any way to what it is supposed to advertise.

Iacobus

sǝɯɐɾ
    Years
  • Looking good ZodiacDaGreat. Next time send me the source in an email or something.
    Our difference in time zone is shi-. Anyway, I'll see you tonight/in the morning!
    I'm going to have a look at some other things now =)

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    Uhm, as far as I know and from what I've learnt. The Zelda games have no scripting system :( That's what MX told me for Minish Cap but I'm not sure for Link to the Past, I guess this thread can also prove useful for people to post their discoveries here.

So it's like pure ASM uh?

Years
  • Look really good,but i think Zelda have a scripting system (i think)...the tool are really good.

You going to make one of Zelda minis cap?

ZodiacDaGreat

Years
  • zein said:
    Look really good,but i think Zelda have a scripting system (i think)...the tool are really good.

You going to make one of Zelda minis cap?
    As of now, we're not sure if Link to the Past has a scripting system but Minish Cap doesn't from what I know. The map editor for Minish Cap is made by Mastermind_X and Aeonos.

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    WoOw. I've been lookin all over the internet for someone that was doining this, cuz i never expected someone in this community is good enogh too make something like this. Im mazed and hoping that this project will continue to its full glory. good luck

Quil

Me
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 1, 2010
    Link to the Past is a great game imo. Rather hard for me when I bought it (I was like 7?), and after a few years (xD) I finally beat Ganon =D
    It would be pretty cool to be able to change the maps =P Only at the last screen, the pallete seems messed up, but I guess you already saw that.. x)

Good luck guys! I'm looking forward to it xD

Iacobus

sǝɯɐɾ
    Years
  • Link to the Past is a great game imo. Rather hard for me when I bought it (I was like 7?), and after a few years (xD) I finally beat Ganon =D
    It would be pretty cool to be able to change the maps =P Only at the last screen, the palette seems messed up, but I guess you already saw that.. x)

Good luck guys! I'm looking forward to it xD
    Oh, really? Darn!

Ok; so second semester started here at university, which means I don't have much time to work on this project. I try to do so though, but most of the time that's only possible during weekends. I hope you guys/girls now understand why progress is so slow. Debugging is a slow process anyway (when everything is new).

Back