• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TM discussion

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
  • Had this kind of thread up a while back. Bringing it back.

This thread is for discussing TMs in just about every sense you can discuss them in. Discuss moves that don't exist as TMs but should, moves that do exist as TMs but you don't like, and TMs that existed in past games but don't now, and you'd like to see return.

For me, I don't like that Double Team is still a TM. I NEVER use it. There's also Incinerate. It doesn't do much good since it only has 30 base power.

As far as new TMs, I would love Leaf Blade to be a TM. Also, Icicle Crash would be cool to have, as there are a few physical Ice-type Pokemon that don't learn many good Ice-type moves *coughSneaselWeavilecough*. And how about Megahorn? Pokemon like Absol and Karrablast can only learn it by breeding, but I'd like it if they could just by TM.

For returning TMs. Um, elemental punches, please! Some Pokemon could make awesome use of these, but the only way they can learn them is if they got them from a move tutor in Gen IV, or by breeding. Emboar needs Fire Punch!!! Then there's Steel Wing and Iron Tail. There are some Pokemon with limited movepools that could make excellent use out of these when no better moves are available. And then Giga Drain. That's been a TM since Gen II, and they took it away. WHY????

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Steel Wing lol no thanks. It can stay gone. Dark Pulse, please come back into my life. Incinerate is terrible and shouldn't be a move, let alone a TM. It's a waste.

Years
  • Elemental Punches would be great TMs to have, along with Leaf Blade like you said, and Giga Drain.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm not sure if all of the elemental moves with Base Rate 80 and 15 PP are TMs, but they should all be. They're pretty much all I use in battle... DON'T JUDGE ME OK?!

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Well you guys have to remember, a lot of TM's were eliminated because of the fact that TM's are permanent now in Gen 5.
    Game Freak had to eliminate all the really powerful moves from TM's so that they wouldn't be over abused by multiple pokemon that can learn insanely powerful TM Moves. (*tear* Drain Punch you will be missed...)

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I'm glad that some TM's are gone from Gen V, like the pointless Steel Wing and Water Pulse. Well Water Pulse was okay but not spectacular. Focus Punch was 50/50, really.

I want something like Spikes as a TM. Granted the metagame would be swarmed with Spikers and Rapid Spinners. On that note; I want Rapid Spin to become a TM.

Dark Pulse, Drain Punch, Stealth Rock etc need to come back. \: I mean, Stealth Rock is kinda a hit and miss. I want it back because it's restricted to only a couple of Pokemon. On the other hand, every Pokemon that could learn it would be swarming the metagame too. ;; Life sucks for TM's.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Well you guys have to remember, a lot of TM's were eliminated because of the fact that TM's are permanent now in Gen 5.
    Game Freak had to eliminate all the really powerful moves from TM's so that they wouldn't be over abused by multiple pokemon that can learn insanely powerful TM Moves. (*tear* Drain Punch you will be missed...)

True, but Incinerate is useless no matter where you are in the game tbh. I'll allow the move to exist, but as for being a TM, it just shouldn't be.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    I'd like Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Giga Drain, Drain Punch and Roost to return :(

Steel Wing was okay for those Normal/Flying types back then who didn't have much of a movepool for ingame, at least it let it hit Rock types better. Also miss Avalanche a bit, that proved useful against the Dragon types for my slow bulky pokemon. Skill Swap and Secret Power was also fun. I miss Shockwave mostly because it was nice for my Pelipper to have an Electric move :(

Also Leaf Blade would be awesome (I'm looking at you Leafeon, who doesn't get it until lv 71!!?!). Leech Seed could be interesting. Also need better special Flying move distributio- either Air Slash or Hurricane.

Follow Me could also be interesting for Double/Triples. Heat Wave should also come back for those Flying pokemon to have something for Steels. Also Psycho Cut/Zen Headbutt and Aqua Tail. Psycho Shift could also be interesting. Also Zap Cannon for the lulz.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Dragon Pulse and Drain Punch should've stayed as TMs in Gen V. Incinerate is weak and situational, and Quash is pointless, IMO. Making Drain Punch a TM saves the time of teaching Hitmonchan Drain Punch in Gen IV and transferring it over to Gen V just to have a baby Timburr with Drain Punch and Mach Punch.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Hmm...the TM's that are TM's that I do not like:
    1.) Hone Claws- I never seen anyone use it before and its pointless in my book
    2.) Telekinesis- I just never liked this move as soon as I read the description
    3.) Ally Switch- No point of it, just switch your Pokemon out

:t354:tg

Procrastinatron

Annihilator of Youngster Joey
    Years
  • God, the TMs are so nice to Pokemon like Reuniclus and Sigilyph. Ice Beam, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Thunder...I'm just happy the TMs are no longer one use only, and that they kept the nice colourful moves available. :P

Some moves I just use for fun, like Smack Down. I reckon Incinerate was just.......not worthy of being a TM.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Why did they make rock smash a tm? Who in their right minds would use that move. Incinerate and Struggle bug are both bad moves and not worthy or deserbing of Tm status. What the hell is with all these double and triple battle moves becoming Tms, Quash, Ally Switch, Telekinesis, Round. There are about 6 double battles in the whole game for god sakes. Destiny bond should be a tm, I know its annoying but it would add some more strategy to the game.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Incinerate and Struggle Bug? Really? And yet no Dark Pulse? And on that topic, I really don't see why Double Team is still a TM. All that does is create more Pokemon that can use the cheapest strategy in the book. What's the deal with Work Up? Under the EV system your Pokemon are likely to either have either physical or special moves... not both. Well, at least it isn't Gen II over again where you can't get Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, or Flamethrower as TM's...

I wish we had Tri Attack back as a TM like we did in Gen I. Drill Peck should be a TM as well.

Back