• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TM users or Breeder who's who?

VanirElf

Dragon Trainer
    Years
    Hey people, I'm just kinda curious to know if any of you.
    Like to keep all your TM's and instead capture wild poke's and raise 'em to
    be TM fathers?

I was never really into breeding before, but I also never liked using my TM's
    but I've been getting into breeding 'cuz I thought about it, and even though
    it is a bit time consuming, I can still have my pokemon learn the TM moves
    I want without actually using the TM's up. Of course this doesn't apply to TM's you can buy, but like most of the really cool ones or at least the ones
    I really like, you only get one of in the games.

I'm no master breeder but I'm working on it.
    anyway so yeah, wondering if anyone else does this?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

I don't necessarily breed for attacks, unless it's readily accessible (like getting Dragon Dance onto Bagon or Wish onto Eevee). But on my Emerald game, I've been breeding a lot to get good natures and IVs. Like I had a box of 30 Eevees and I choose who had the best IVs in the most important stats for their evolutions, AND had appropriate natures as well.

~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

enyce

banned
    Years
    after I beat the game at least once or twice. I use a cheat device to have all the TM's I want.

I am a definate TM user

DR.MUNCHLAX

Just passing by.
    Years
    I never did get into breeding it is just something that I don't like to do since the Pokemon never turn out the way I want them to, which is just fine ^_^ I will stick to using TMs for attacks if I need them.

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
    Kelsey thinks this belongs in General Games Discussion. :O So it shall be moved thusly. XD

*moves*

~Kelsey

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I am definitely into breeding. The benefits of it are undeniable. Like aragornbird, I breed to get good Natures and strong IVs. I also breed TMs from one Poke to another. It takes time, but it is the best aspect of the game, IMO. You can only beat the EV/BF only so many times before it gets boring. Breeding, on the other hand, is so complex that you can do it forever. Well, at least until the next version comes out.

enyce

banned
    Years
    shanecdavis said:
    I am definitely into breeding. The benefits of it are undeniable. Like aragornbird, I breed to get good Natures and strong IVs. I also breed TMs from one Poke to another. It takes time, but it is the best aspect of the game, IMO. You can only beat the EV/BF only so many times before it gets boring. Breeding, on the other hand, is so complex that you can do it forever. Well, at least until the next version comes out.

whats EV and BF?

and breeding is forever. the only breeding I would do, is for a belly drum charizard

Years
    I don't waste my time breeding. I rather have more fun than make it complicated by breeding, even though some find it fun, just not me lol. I'll use TMs if I want a certain move for a pokemon, as long as the move exists in TM form.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    EV = Effort Value

Every Pokemon in the game can learn 510 EV points. What these points do is increase a stat (HP, Atk, Def, SAtk, SDef, Spd) by one point for every 4 EV points learned. Every Pokemon also has an EV point value. For example, a Clefable has 3 HP EV points. Every time you battle and defeat a Clefable, your Poke earns 3 HP EVs. That includes Pokes that you start a battle with and switch out. If the Poke has the Pokerus, it earns double EV points, or in our example - 6 EVs. You can also have the Poke hold the Macho Brace. While it makes the Poke slower, it also doubles the EVs learned. So, if a Poke has Pokerus AND is holding the Macho Brace, in our example the Poke would earn 12 EV points in one battle. Keep in mind that the max EV points you can have in one stat is 255, so you can basically max out only two stats with the 510 total limit. That said, NEVER max a stat out at 255. Remember, it takes 4 EV points to increase a stat by one (63 X 4 = 252) so you will have 3 EV points left over. If you max out two stats at 252, you will now have 6 EV points remaining which you can put on another stat. In Emerald, there are berries (31-36) that will reduce the EVs in a particular stat by 10, so if you have been battling in-game and cannot remember what EVs you have in a particular stat, you can feed that Poke the proper berry and reduce its EVs in that stat back to zero so you can retrain it.

BF = Battle Frontier

While Ruby/Sapphire has the Battle Tower, the Emerald version has the Battle Frontier that not only has the BT, but 6 other contests as well. It is something fun to do while after you are bored with beating the E4 and don't get into breeding that much.

Yes, breeding is forever and that is what is so cool about it. Boring is battling the same trainers with the same Pokes with the same moves. Breeding not only makes your Pokes stronger, but it also gives your Pokes moves that it could in no other way learn. For example, Snorlax and Swampert can only learn Curse (a ridiculously powerful move for these two) through breeding. Plus, since I don't cheat by using infinite items, breeding is a great way to use rare TMs over and over and over.

People that don't like breeding, typically do so because they don't understand its true potential.

Last edited:

weirdo1

Like I care...
    Years
    No offense but you guys are nerds..who cares about EV's..Why don't you people just play the game?

Muse

'The Underdog Trainer'
    Years
    Oooooh, so tempted to make a witty comeback...

Anyways, I'm...weird when it comes to TMs. (HMs too, but that's a tad bit off the subject) I'm like allergic to using them and will absolutely refuse until I've figured out who gets what TM. If there's more than one of a certain kind of TM, sure! I'll use it then.

Breeding...well...I'm a bit of a novice to breeding. I've done a bit on Ruby, but I haven't really bothered with breeding TMs..o0

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2006
    I only breed for non-Egg moves if I'm out of the TM or it's not breedable, like Dragon Claw on Bagon.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Hmmmm. A guy named weirdo calling someone a nerd. That makes me laugh.

It is the Breeding/EV training that make you a better trainer than someone that will "just play the game". At least it brings an aspect that isn't the same boring played out routine that we have seen from RBY. Make fun of EV training/breeding, but that is probably because you don't understand it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2007
    i need a box 1 slot 1, box 1 slot 2....... pokemon modifier code that lets put any pokemon in those boxes and slots so i would also need a complete list of pokemon values also please (for pokemon xd ntsc)

Shiraishi

Orz
    Years
    I use tms on the male and then breed to pass em down o.0 I also include egg moves if necessary. Here is a very nice example.

Male misdreavus+female weezing=male koffing with pain split!

I taught the male koffing Will-o-Wisp and put him with a ditto, I'm hatching eggs as I read/type w/e.

black dog

The plum has been picked
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2008
    i too like to breed my pokemon to use tms i dont want to waste.

Back