• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Today I bought a pirated/fake version of FireRed at GameStop.

Years
    lol the old NES method. I blew on it a little, put it into my GBA SP, and the first time I did it after that I got a scrambled NINTENDO symbol underneath the "GAMEBOY" logo, where before all the times I tried there wasn't one. So I pulled it out, put it back in and then it worked.

Since then I've got my Pokemon, saved, took the game out multiple times and tried it and it works...

But there IS something different about this game:

It keeps telling me "The save file is ok." when I go from the title screen to the Continue screen.

In the same fashion as it told me "The save file has been deleted...", only this time "The save file is ok".

And it keeps saying that.

That's gonna get old after a while and I have owned TWO different FireReds not counting this one and one LeafGreen and I've never received this message over and over...

I'm still puzzled with this..

edit:

Took it out of my GBA SP and then put it into my regular GBA...

It doesn't give me "The save file is ok." or "The save file has been deleted..."

It just starts a new game.

Maybe I think I know what's going on here.

There's something wrong with the save battery, isn't there? Did you try to fix it or something?
    It's probably a modified version of the "1M Circuit Board is not installed" message you usually get from a bootleg or a misconfigured emulator. The bootlegger probably changed the message to that as a really cheap and obvious coverup for their nefarious deed.

Basically, this message is the game reporting that the wrong save memory is installed. Instead of the proper 128KB flash memory, your bootleg only has 64KB.

Try turning off the system mid-save. Instead of loading the previous data, your save will be erased. It will probably also erase itself after you beat the Elite Four, if I remember correctly.

DDD'SSCEPTILE

GekkouKitsune : Shiny Master
    Years
    Nope! It's not mine and I've never lived in Southern California.

There's not a smiley in the world to depict the way I feel about you right now.

P.S. They said Carolina, not California.

But maybe you've never lived there anyway.

It's probably a modified version of the "1M Circuit Board is not installed" message you usually get from a bootleg or a misconfigured emulator. The bootlegger probably changed the message to that as a really cheap and obvious coverup for their nefarious deed.

Basically, this message is the game reporting that the wrong save memory is installed. Instead of the proper 128KB flash memory, your bootleg only has 64KB.

Try turning off the system mid-save. Instead of loading the previous data, your save will be erased. It will probably also erase itself after you beat the Elite Four, if I remember correctly.

Thank you. I would expect this to be the explanation of my problem and the problem with the game, because something just doesn't feel right when I play it. Not to mention the fact it can't really keep ahold of the save.

Definitely going back to GameStop tomorrow, so TheAbsol if you want it back you can go get it buddy.

Tac One

OWN new Emld, Sapp and FR & LG
    Years
    I recently Aquired Brand New working copies of Fire Red, Leaf Green, Emerald and Sapphire. And know where I can get at least one more of each except Fire Red.

Kit-Tsukasa

Shiny Mew and Espeon Lover
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2012
    lol I have a pirated fire red from China before it even came out in the US (possibly even Japan)....It works, but I haven't played it in forever...problem is it deletes the whole game data if you put the wifi adapter or whatever on it (I've never tried with colosseum/XD) but you can trade with legit r/s/e/fl/lg games. I won't even try pal parking to avoid deletion on my diamond pearl games.

Other differences is the island parts are clearly not completed properly (battle tower is 4 floors and that's it...you don't even get a prize)...dialogues are completely cut short and don't make sense 80% of the time....Some pokemon are ridiculously high (like the scientist who steals the sapphire plate from you fights you both times instead of once....first time he has a lv. 100 mewtwo that kicks your ass and second time he just sucks.) Names are only allowed to be 5 characters long (same for pokemon names e.g. Charmander = CHARM) Move names are weird.

Anyways, I could rant, but that's a pirated game for you XD

Years
    Ha! A similar thing happened to my cousin. We were in Chinatown and there was a Leafgreen in a Firered coloured cartridge. We bought it out of curiousity. :P
    It also had that save file is ok thing, I was a little annoyed at that popping up every single time. >.<'
    Well, the people at Gamestop are really nice. I couldn't sell it to Gamestop, so I gave it to some kid for a Christmas present. xD

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2012
    pirated games, I got them from amazon all the time (emerald 2x)...

it always gives that opening message: The game can be played.

at the bottom, there's a hole/crack that you mentioned

it doesn't shine/ wrong color cartridge/ kinda rough cartridge/mine were almost too thick to fit in the consoles

it doesn't have: Nintendo 2003 or w/e on the exposed chip that makes contact with the console

it has a circular battery in the back, which real games don't have(they use a chip).

it erases the data when trying communicate with D/P(DS games)- all DS games need to do to communicate with the GBA slot is have a GBA game in there: that's how you find specific pokemon in specific places with GBA games inside(i.e. fire red + D/P = elekid at the Valley Windworks) - the migrate option in the beginning is absent completely as well. so easy way to erase data in fake pokemon game; put GBA/DS games in, play DS game(D/P) and then just walk or do nothing and save the game, shut off, turn on and select GBA- it deletes itself.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2012
    You could download an Emulator and Game of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    It's not even mine. If it was it would still be in my possession because I don't get rid of games I don't play.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    No person at such stores really cares if it's fake. I bought a Pokemon TCG game that turned out to be fake. I asked to see that game, they say "Give me the 15$ cost and it's yours", so what can I say? I was robbed for a game that freezes and kills the data. It says GAME BOY and then Nintondo and a copyright symbol. I found it's fake, went to report it, they test it and say "it works- you play it".

DDD'SSCEPTILE

GekkouKitsune : Shiny Master
    Years
    lol I have a pirated fire red from China before it even came out in the US (possibly even Japan)....It works, but I haven't played it in forever...problem is it deletes the whole game data if you put the wifi adapter or whatever on it (I've never tried with colosseum/XD) but you can trade with legit r/s/e/fl/lg games. I won't even try pal parking to avoid deletion on my diamond pearl games.

Other differences is the island parts are clearly not completed properly (battle tower is 4 floors and that's it...you don't even get a prize)...dialogues are completely cut short and don't make sense 80% of the time....Some pokemon are ridiculously high (like the scientist who steals the sapphire plate from you fights you both times instead of once....first time he has a lv. 100 mewtwo that kicks your ass and second time he just sucks.) Names are only allowed to be 5 characters long (same for pokemon names e.g. Charmander = CHARM) Move names are weird.

Anyways, I could rant, but that's a pirated game for you XD

Now, see, this is what I was actually hoping to get, but mine was pretty much the same game. I didn't bother playing into it, I didn't want to mess with it much since it went back today.

Ha! A similar thing happened to my cousin. We were in Chinatown and there was a Leafgreen in a Firered coloured cartridge. We bought it out of curiousity. :P
    It also had that save file is ok thing, I was a little annoyed at that popping up every single time. >.<'
    Well, the people at Gamestop are really nice. I couldn't sell it to Gamestop, so I gave it to some kid for a Christmas present. xD

Yeah, the reason I got this one was because I was curious. (I'm no cat so I'm not dead. =P More like lucky)

Mine took it back. Details further below.

*Reports to authorities*

You got robbed,dude.I am surprised that nobody at the store noticed beforehand that it was fake.Very strange.

Well, it depends on who checked it. As I mentioned, the clerk who got it out for me noticed it looked different than a normal FireRed game.
    Just putting it in a GBA and testing it (and if it came on at that time) and seeing the title screen pretty much means it works ok to someone who doesn't know what to look for.

No person at such stores really cares if it's fake. I bought a Pokemon TCG game that turned out to be fake. I asked to see that game, they say "Give me the 15$ cost and it's yours", so what can I say? I was robbed for a game that freezes and kills the data. It says GAME BOY and then Nintondo and a copyright symbol. I found it's fake, went to report it, they test it and say "it works- you play it".

Sounds more like a pawn shop than GameStop, although I always fear what you just mentioned, especially after I got the cartridge to work last night.

Alright, here's the conclusion to this 2 day story.

I took the game and the receipt back to GameStop and waited for them to open. I go in and there's this cute girl I've never seen before at the counter, and the manager guy that was around yesterday was walking around checking things to make sure everything was in order and in place.

So I tell the girl I got it yesterday but it doesn't work. She asks for my receipt, no questions. She tells me that since I got the sale discount for 2 other games, that I'd have to pick another out to swap FakeRed out with.

So I go and look.... the two real FireRed games that were yesterday are gone! They must've sold them which means the GBA Pokemon games are still very hot (no pun intended).

So I had to settle for Emerald, which is fine. It cost more but she said that I could pay the monetary difference, which was about $5. Ok, there were more customers, so the guy who got the FakeRed game yesterday got my Emerald out, and I told him that the FakeRed game didn't work too, so maybe they'll check it out later.

Either way, it went extremely smooth, no problems whatsoever, and the new Emerald works....

And has a LOAD of player data on it. The guy's name is "Landon" and he's beat the E4 and got a bunch of Pokemon and the 3 Legends of RSE (Rayquaza, Groudon,Kyogre).

Problem is is that he also must've cheated a little or something cuz he has 5 Bad Eggs. =P On two of them the settable icons (heart, circle, etc.) is glitched. When I go to the "Move Items" menu, those two have a '?' item that's like a little image of MissingNo. lol.

I tried to view the status of one of the BAD Bad Eggs, and the game froze and made that weird crackling noise that you've probably heard when playing around with Action Replay..

He's got a bunch of stuff on here. I'm gonna look around some more, MAYBE trade some of his Pokemon off onto my game as a memento, then I'm gonna start a new game and try SRing for shiny starters.

So, that ends the adventures of the bootleg FireRed, AKA "FakeRed". Maybe they'll call the person who originally turned it in and see what happens.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Why didn't you sue!!!?

Oh well, Good Luck with your new game, I think...

But sue next time, Ok? ;)

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
    Good outcome I guess, Emerald is an awsome game! And a bit off topic, I bought a copy of Pokémon Blue from my local games store and it was 100% and everything, but that wasn't the thing that got me. It was the name of the the file. It was my name!

Anyway, congrats. Your problem has been solved and I hope you find a copy of Fire Red in the future... That WORKS

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    FR and LG, by what I know, do not have Real-time feature, so there shouldn't be a battery.

RS might have, and Emerald has one, for sure. Maybe it's a remake of RS on another coloured cartridge? Find any errors ingame and report them. I already told Nintendo about this.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2014
    Yeah I put it in my SP and my DS. It doesn't load, like if a GBA game wasn't in the slot. I can put another game in and compare and it's almost like it's stuck and the connectors aren't lining up or something

edit:

Oh my gosh.

You're never gonna believe this! (Except TheAbsol)

I tried blowing on it a little, popped it in, and got a scrambled Nintendo symbol. Popped it in again, it recognizes it, and it works.

It just says that the save file has been deleted.

Wow. I guess it wasn't a fake after all.

it still is fake. i bought a fake emerald off ebay (well i didnt think itd be that bad, plus they didnt say it was fake. i had my suspicions) and it worked fine. except it deleted my save when it felt like it, and it didnt have working clock.

since this is a fire-red you dont have to worry about the clock, but i doubt youll be able to retain a save file for any more than 2 days. its because it uses a dodgy battery. if you manage to replace it (there are guides out there) with a slightly better one, you should be able to play it fine. itll still be fake though.

edit: i read the 2nd page and realised you swapped it. well, if you ever get a fake game like that in future, just swap the battery and itll be as good as a real one. my fake emerald still traded fine, it just didnt have a clock or good save retention.

bluesonic1

I like this place <3
    Years
    .... the sad news is, is that it won't even play. I've tried it in my DS, my GBA, my GBASP, my Dad's GBASP, hell, I even put it in my ARGBA to see if I could load it, but nothing happens. It acts like there's no GBA game inside.

Which sucks. I knew it looked odd, so I was hoping I'd get a sucky foreign remake of the game. Well, it doesn't even work.

The cartridge is a little weird. Even the employee noticed that even though it says FireRed on it, it looks like a Ruby game cartridge. But side-by-side with Ruby, it's not even the exact color of that.

Uh, here's the cartridges side by side. You can tell by my markings which of the two games are real, and which one is the fake.

Here's fake FireRed and real FiredRed side by side, but there's some glare on it.

Here's one without glare. It's interesting to note that the fake has Ruby's Nintendo seal.

Let's compare on the inside.... You can immediately tell something's different or even wrong on the fake one. There's a .. what looks like a cut out place at the top, and the connectors just don't seem right..

Another version of the picture above

Third version of the picture above. This is fake FR and real FR side by side, btw. It's interesting.... but a letdown because the fake doesn't start at all.

Tomorrow I'm taking it back to GameStop and getting my money back or swapping it out with a real FireRed, because at $30 it doesn't come cheap. (Seems high but the Pokemon games are still hot and are starting to get hard to find new)

And no, they didn't pick this game out for me, so don't rag on the employees or whatever. I picked it out myself, but didn't think it wouldn't work at all.
    GameStop has been very, very good to me. I don't know why people complain about them so much.

It was sorta my own fault on this too, but hey, I wanted to see what it was like! And it was like.... Nothing. :(

It's a fake, arrrrrrr!!!!.......

Someone wanted to make about a $15 credit. No fair, especially since it doesn't play at all! :(

Anything anyone out there can tell me about this thing before I give it back?

Wow that's scary. Now I know why not to buy fakies. But of course, some fakes work and others don't. It's about taking the risk.

Schala_25

Denizen of the Darkness
    Years
    Yeah, I got a fake Emerald once. It looked like someone only translated it half way (and that half wasn't well done, either). All the attack names were different, too. Mine was from EBay though. I still have it, but I gave up playing it. It was too difficult to figure out what people were saying, and what attacks/items I had. Glad you got yours resolved though.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Can I see a few pictures? I just want to see the sucky translation.

Back