• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too Attached To Technology

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Would you say that you are too attached to your technology, which may or may not include your phone, laptop, video game consoles, etc.? Do you find yourself going a little mad when you don't have one of these items available to you? Furthermore, have you ever been so preoccupied with technology like your phone that you sometimes ignores the interactions that are going on around you like with your friends?

I consider myself too attached to my smart phone. I find myself constantly on it checking Facebook, Snapchat, etc. and I feel like it sometimes hinders the way I hang out with my friends. I'm thinking of switching back to one of those old flip phones that don't have all those applications on it, so I can solely only use it for texting and phone calls. In my opinion, those are the only true purposes that your phone should have (except maybe check your emails or something along those lines.)

Years
  • I find myself too attached to my own laptop, which I use for browsing PC, YouTube, Tumblr and pretty much every forum I visit. It even messes up my sleeping patterns as of late, which really sucks.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't think I am, actually. I don't leave the house without my cell phone, but I've always took it with me not because I needed constant contact with people, but because I want it on me just in case something happens and I need to call someone. My laptop is pretty essential to me, but I could definitely live without it. I don't really go on it unless I'm home anyway. I tie it to the internet. If I don't have internet at home, my laptop stays shut. As long as I'm out of the house, or doing something in the house to keep my mind off of being bored, then I don't need the internet either.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't think there's such a thing as being too attached, or at least the level of "too attached" is much more than most people would think - no one would say "man, I'm too attached to my car" if they feel a bit trapped while it's in the shop and they can't drive, or claim they're too addicted to shoes if they don't want to leave the house barefoot. The difference is that computers and technology are so diverse that instead of spending a few hours reading a book, a few hours writing a song, and a few hours chatting on the phone with a friend, I can spend all that time on my computer doing the exact same thing. Then it looks like I'm addicted to technology even though I'm doing exactly what I would have done otherwise, just consolidated into one form.

That being said, I'm on my computer most always, because...my schoolwork is on here, my job is on here, and a lot of my entertainment is on here. Not to mention I have friends all over the world online, and friends that I met in high school or middle school that I'm no longer near and the internet is the easiest way to interact with them. I don't reject activities away from my computer because I'd rather be by it, but I do spend my free time how I please and usually it's interacting with people online or watching a show streaming or reading on the Kindle program. No shame in that.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I'm not much of a social person, so I tend to get attached to my phone because of the number games I installed (2048, sudoku, you know) and basically isolate myself 'til someone decides to stir up a conversation.

Otherwise... not exactly. You can see me going through the whole day not touching my laptop or any consoles and just write or draw on paper. Although, it's much easier to write and draw on a computer, but it's much more comfortable on paper.

But if it's the internet... not sure whether I'm attached to it or not.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2014
    Not really. I use my computer for entertainment, but I don't care much for social networks.

For a lot of people, getting 'likes' is like heroin. They need their hit.

GoldenHouou

Abstract Nonsense
    Years
  • I lost my smart phone last year, and haven't bothered to buy a new one since. I have an old Nokia for calls and texts (and music) and that's really all I need - in contrast to most everyone around me. I feel like South Korea as a whole is addicted to smart phones, a lot more so than any other country I've ever been in.

With that said, I couldn't go long without my computer. I study mostly (game) programming so I need it for homework and projects, and since I can't use my phone here, I need social media to stay connected with (even irl) friends - and then of course, I've got my games and forums to keep me entertained.

I don't ignore things around me in favor of technology though, and I have hobbies, interests, friends and all that awesome stuff outside the net to keep me busy and only allowing me to come on during evenings anyway.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • I'm not really attached? I mean I check my phone maybe once and hour, but I still don't regularly use email. I text like a mad woman though. Otherwise, I have a smart phone that I'm running doing the bare minimum.

It might just be cause of how I grew up. I was a nineties kid that didn't get internet in the house until at least 2006, so.

Years
  • I probably could live a day without any piece of technology, but I'd prefer not to. For everyday purposes, I'm generally quite attached to my phone, and laptop especially considering both of them are used extensively daily. Sentimentally, among the consoles that we own, I'd have to say I'm quite attached to our PS3 even though I rarely get the time to play video games during school terms :c But whenever I'm around friends, I'd diddle with my phone, but not during dinners between myself, and one person. I find that being somewhat disrespectful, and a sign that you're not really interested in what they're saying, but that's just my philosophy.

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • I don't consider myself too attached to technology. I do use it quite a bit, but not obsessively; only when there is nothing much else to do. I do, however, feel that it is a big problem in our society when more and more people forget how to socialize because of it.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I don't really think so. It's just the fact that many of the main things I do are on my laptop nowadays. School work, (research and essays) and entertainment are all done on there.

I'm not even attached to my phone such as to the point hwere I'm playing on it while others are around talking as I consider that to be rather rude.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Eh, no.

I used to be, but that's only because I didn't have anyone around me. Now I have somebody who is constantly living in a room with me and it's honestly difficult to concentrate on technology anymore. The reason I was so fixated on it was more the people than the tech.

Maybe if I had more friends, I'd be on more. But as it stands now, I'm not here nearly as frequently. I mostly just use my computer for art and music now and whilst I do check my phone obsessively, that's just in a little sad lonely hope that maybe someone gave me a notification and is willing to be my friend.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm extremely attached, and can't a day without them, honestly. Nowadays, technology is needed for pretty much everything, from communication and productivity, all the way to entertainment. Wish it weren't like this, but... yeah. :( For me, one thing in particular would be my laptop; I use this to chat with friends, do homework, work on class projects, talk with friends, watch shows, listen to music, play games from time to time, and pretty much everything; it's an all-in-one. If I were ever to lose access to it someday, I'd try to buy a new one regardless of what it takes. Might lose a few of my files and whatnot, but would get over them eventually and move on.

Back