• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Too easy to get over-leveled Pokemon in HG/SS?

CakeForTheSoul

You Are A Cinema
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2011
    Thats pretty true. Once you get past Whitney's Stomping,Paralyzing,Attracting Miltank Its pretty easy. The only way to make it more challenging is to pick Chikorita. If you picked Cyndaquil thats neutral. If you picked Totodile you just picked your ticket for a free ride around the game. Because he learns Ice Fang,Crunch,Superpower,and Any Water Move, thus making him the Prime of the 3.

JustinDestruction

Rockin' Trainer
    Years
    You'll still be level grinding to get up to the 80's for Red-not that you couldn't beat him with lower leveled than that... I find it difficult to train Pokémon in HG/SS, which makes me prefer Platinum in that aspect. There is nothing to train against over level 45 unless you go and spam calling gym leaders, but even then you can only train certain types against whoever's available that day.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously. Sabrina took me down, and I have those level Pokémon on me now. She broke my 9 Gym Leader No-Loss Streak. :<

... It did happen. I don't have any pics though... I got lucky with some critical hits on Sabrina though. Plus I have a decent Scizor that helped a bit (X-Scissor + Leer + Critical Hit = Ouch). I got lucky with all of my fights in my SS journey... I'm currently trying to get gym leader rematches because there is no way I can beat Red at this point.

I hate the fact that I cannot find a good training spot because all I find is level 39-44 Pokémon which really DO NOT help at all. "Yay... Feraligatr gained 463 EXP... only 9021 more to go... And then I have to do this for 5 other Pokémon to gain one level." That's what I'm usually saying to myself.

Last edited:

Sir Skids Nickelton

Are You SERIOUS!?
    Years
    I Just Flee From Wild Battles,So This Is What Happened

Level 38 Feraligatr VS Clair's Level 41 Kingdra

Kingdra Used Hyper Beam

Feraligatr Hung On Using It's Focus Band.I Traded A Focus Band Over From Platinum That I Got From A Friend.

Feraligatr Used Ice Fang

The Foes Kingdra Must Recharge

Feraligatr Used Ice Fang

The Foe's Kingdra Fainted!

Me:Suck It Clair!

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2016
    I had six lv 66 pokemon before the elite four and I had six lv 85 pokemon before Red.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
    My team on soul silver were around 42-45 once i got to Clair only because I traded over lucky eggs to make it easier.

Doogle3097

Hola.
    Years
    My Pokémon were always underleveled throughout my Johto journey and I still easily managed it, but I do think if I'd tried, it wouldn't be very difficult to overlevel my Pokémon, I just didn't need to.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    I think the people who end up lower leveled are slightly underestimating exactly how low the levels of thier opponents are, and therefore don't feel the need to train, and then it catches up to them. It did on my first playthrough of SS. Now I got through the game fairly easily. Still have to fight red though.

Doogle3097

Hola.
    Years
    I think the people who end up lower leveled are slightly underestimating exactly how low the levels of thier opponents are, and therefore don't feel the need to train, and then it catches up to them. It did on my first playthrough of SS. Now I got through the game fairly easily. Still have to fight red though.

I did exactly that. :P

I didn't train, beat the 8 gyms, got to the Elite 4, and I realised that I should've trained sooner. :( :P

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
    ya, and I have noticed that you shouldn't be ashamed of being way unprepared for red, the game jumps from level 50-60 pokes to 80-88 pokes. But then again I guess there is the upgraded Elite 4...

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Actually, I find myself underleveled ! O_O

My Pokemon were all Lv. 45-46 when I beat Lance, while his Dragonite was Lv. 50. During the Johto part (and Kanto), all the levels are horribly low.
    Just why I prefer Pt. for training over HG.

Back