• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too Many HMs!

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    You're climbing rocks, not controlling them. I can climb rocks, and so can many other people and animals; that makes it normal.

If HMs became regular skills or were combined, I'd have to say I'd miss my Surf an Waterfall. Maybe they could stay as moves, but the skills could just be given to a specific Pokemon over time? The could just get rid of moves like Rock Smash all together though.

You do realize that they were saying it should be a normal type and asking why people call it a rock type, right? So don't act snotty about it.

I don't think HMs should be combined, I think some shouldn't be HMs. Like Defog, you barely use it. TM.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Waterfall was useless till the 4th gen Special/Physical split. Fly is somewhat more useful in battle with its power up to 90, but it's the convenience of the move out of battle that makes it useful. Rock Climb is just Strength with worse accuracy. Rock Smash is still too weak to be particularly useful. And Defog really lacks much use outside of the areas where you need to clear fog (like three areas in the game and Courtyard Colosseum in PBR)

And I don't use HM slaves and train full parties of six Pokemon, so they are a bit of a concern to me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Most are useless, too. Flash, Rock Smash, Whirlpool, Cut, and DeFog are the worst. I can tolerate the others at least, but those have got to go. DeFog is the worst of them all. The name bugs me.

KopaKura

Soul searcher
    Years
  • I've got it sorted thanks to My Pokémon Ranch. I have two Mew in my party as HM slaves, one from my Ranch, one from a friend's, and between them they have all 8 moves and I train them with the rest of my Pokémon so they're not awful fighters either.

But I do believe there are a few too many HMs, how many were there in R/B/Y? 5 or 6? Now 8, that's two movesets worth. I'd have liked one of my Mews to have kept Hypnosis.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • HMs are the root of all evil today.

Seriously, I was just getting used to having to waste Flash, then they come in with a curveball and have Defog (Ruined my Staraptor). I think they should combine HMs or make them Key Items.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    It's not really about the amount of the HMs, but it's about how useless they really are. I always raise a full team of Pokemon, so I never have room for HM Slaves and ones like Cut and Flash. Surf and Waterfall are all right (although it annoys me when I have to put both on my one Water Pokemon, because I never put more than one Water type in my team at once). I'm also lazy and impatient, so I also have Fly on my Flying type, which is annoying.

I always believed that instead of having, say, Flash, use a torch... or a flashlight.

paddy185

Banoffee Pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2010
    Defog as a HM....... on the route where it is needed I went mad......

Cursed Cubone

The Cubone with a Curse.
    Years
  • I don't mind HM's, but I hate it how in some games, you only need to use them once.

Like in R/B/Y, you only need to use Flash in Rock Tunnel, and I think you only use Defog once in DPPt.

~ Nick .​

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
  • In my HG i had this;
    Feraligatr - Waterfall
    Pidgeot - Fly
    Quagise - Surf, Whirlpool, Flash, Strength
    Sandshrew - Cut, Rock Climb, Headbutt, Rock Smash

That covered almost all over world abilites (excluding dig and teleport i think)

It was good cause in the end i only needed sandshrew to get to red

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • oh, yeah, i think you're right, i usually use only fly and surf, the other hm moves just waste rooms for other moves, they should cut off some hm in next gen

I agree. The game designers should come up with better story reasons for not being able to pass through an area than "you don't have Rock Smash/Strength/Flash/Defog etc." The only HM that has ever been useful is Fly, and the only story HM I've enjoyed ever is Surf because I actually like Water routes. :/ It also annoys me that Pokémon cannot forget HM moves on the spot - from Gen IV onwards you can't store your HMs in the PC any more, so you'd always have them with you, so why can't your Pokémon forget the HM moves?! Gah! It's all a conspiracy by the Move Deleter and his Evil Minions ;_;

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2010
    Yeah, I totally agree.The amount of HM's is fine, but a little overrated.
    Some of the HM's could be combined, like surf & waterfall, fly & defog, rock smash & strength.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
  • if you combined surf and waterfall then there would be no phsical water moves and that is bad news for pokemon like feraligatr

I personally think that 8 is alright just it is annoying how some are useless in battle... maybe a HM can work two ways

it can be a battle move and overworld or just overworld

Guybrush Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
    Years
  • I have a better idea

Why not allow HM moves to become a Pokémon's' 5th move. One they can ONLY use outside of battle?
    That would really increase the enjoyment of the games for me

Years
  • For moves like Strength, Rock Climb, and Fly, I don't mind as much because they're powerful in-game moves that costs no effort to teach to my Pokemon. I agree that DeFog was more of an annoyance than anything, but I also enjoy the challenge of needing to carry around HMs to even out your team's powerhouses.

Back