• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too many Pokemon?

Charon

unscrupulous~
    Years
    No. I LOVE discovering new pokemon. Wandering around Hoenn and going 'wtf is that?' was brilliant. I can't wait.

EDIT: I agree with Iced Coffee though. The designs are lack-lustre

rekt

tentarape
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 3, 2011
    They should only add a handful more in my opinion, but also make it so that you can catch them all in one game.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Possibly, after all, I do prefer quality over quantity (this coming from an artist ^_^)
    I wonder what it would be like then

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Might I just say that I didn't completely memorize the Pokédex order? I only got up to Wigglytuff before deciding that there are better things to do with my life.

I do agree that the designs of them are getting pretty weak, in a sense. Before, they were simple. Even I, with my lack of artistic talent, could draw a Lugia once in a while. Now, I look at Diaruga and shake my head. What happen to Pokémon being a collection of simple magical creatures?

Shame as well that we do have repeats. Such as Butterfree and Beautifly, as Iced Coffee said. As soon as I saw Beautifly, I wondered why we needed yet another butterfly-esque Pokémon. Sure, Rattata and Pikachu are both mouse-type, but they look different. Butterfree and Beautifly are near twins in a sense.

But, coming out with new ones keeps the franchise fresh. As others have said, it would be boring if the first 151 were all that we had for the past ten years. I'm sure that I would have moved on elsewhere, if there were no more new ones to discover. Learning the most that I can about the new creatures keeps me in the franchise. Seeing them in the games, meeting them on the show...it just keeps Pokémon interesting.

Dingbat

Cacnea is AWESOME.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    More is always better.

If you don't feel like catching them all, then don't. It's as simple as that.

And I'll be frank and say that anybody who is too lazy to remember some 500 Pokémon names doesn't deserve to be a Pokémon fan. It's really not that difficult, and it's not a matter of memory - you already know probably tens of thousands of nouns, and 500 more is not too much for you unless you're mentally retarded, okay? It's laziness, pure laziness.
    This may just be the stupidest post I've ever read on any forum anywhere.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    No need to complain somebody else had already done that for you. But seriously Pokemon Gold/Silver would be boring if you had the same starter same for R/S and D/P.
    Yeah, the new Pokémon keeps the franchise fresh. Without the new ones, the idea would have lost popularity after the first 151, especially if they were around for the past ten years.

No, I don't know everything about a Pokémon. I don't know at what level Pidgeotto learns Wing Attack. I do know the typings of a Pokémon so that I can build a good team that doesn't have many weaknesses. As for the other information, well, that's what I drop fifteen dollars on a strategy guide for.

Still, like I said before, some Pokémon feel like repeats. The Butterfree/Beautifly example floats to the top of my mind again. But without the new ones, the franchise would have died out. So let's just be happy that there are new ones coming out.

It's the meeting of these new creatures that keeps me a fan of Pokémon. I like to learn as much as I can about these new ones, and keep learning about the old ones.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Well if they deleted teh pokemon from before or only had teh pokemon from that generation there, and you didn't have to recatch all teh old ones. Yeah that would be teh only reason I'd think there wernt too many pokemon, So in that case, yeah there is too many for me.

<3 Nica--Wants only teh pokemon from that generation in that game

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
    Another thing that bothers me is that there's too many Water-type Pokemon and not enough Ghost or Dragon types.

I really think that they should cut down on them.

Diamond Phoenix

Frozen Soul
    Years
    I don't mind the new Pokemon...some of them are a little boring, and I'm getting annoyed with these evos and prevos of already existing Pokemon, but I suppose the more Pokemon there are, the longer the game will last, and Pokemon is one of the few games in which you could still be playing the same file for longer than a month!

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2014
    I also don't mind new pokemon, I love seeing new designs and move sets. However, once Pokemon reaches numbers of above the 1000 mark, I might have to just give up on the series.

Plateface

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2007
    It'll take anouther 15 years before the Pokemon numbers go upto 1000.

The more the better, because I mean there are millions of species of animals in our world whereas in Pokemon just takes place in 4 regions of maybe thousands more.

$H-GAGE$

Jumeraat hai aja!!!
    Years
    man, i totally agree!
    its like so confusing and evry day a new PKMN is released and WTH
    !!!
    like new daiaruga...and...ummm...i dont evn kno the names danm it!!!

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
    ..I really don't understand this "Too much pokemon!" nonsense. Come on, honestly, what's wrong with a large variety? O_o;

I fully support the addition of more. In terms of the games, new pokemon every generation is part of the fun. I mean, without new pokemon, what do we have? A new region. Joy.

People just look for something to complain about. "Too many!" They're becoming unoriginal!" Cry cry, whine whine. -_-;

I totally agree with you!! yeah!! The more the merrier!! We wouldn't want Pokemon to just stop here and then, they'd be no more fun.. New regions = new hope.. it only makes me more hyped up for a new generation of pokemon!! =D

Celebi-

Ilex Forest Protector
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2006
    I think it's great that they make more pokemon, it would be too boring with 151 over hundreds of anime episodes and the games, just my veiws :p

Celebi-

$H-GAGE$

Jumeraat hai aja!!!
    Years
    man just think of it like 389 or sumthin pokemon and still counting!!!

like if sumone is very happy that "omg omg i just got a new pokemon card with sum new pokemon" and the next day its on TV that there is a newer pokemon released! ? lke WTH@!!!!

Years
    It's not that people just look for something to complain about... I personally look forward to this new gen more and more... But then I see some new Pokemon and look at it, and it really isn't what I'd hoped for in a new Pokemon. Either it looks like it belongs better in some other series, looks generic and thrown together, or just plain doesn't look good.

For me, the Pokemon are the key point to the franchise. As such, they should be as polished as possible. But then I see a new Pokemon like Bippa, and I just think it looks like rubbish... Same with the spiral-tailed cat... It's not that we're looking for something to complain about... It's that we're looking for something to get excited about, and then something that's nowhere near what we were wanting to be excited about is shown.

Is 500 Pokemon too many? Not at all... But they took 4 years between games this time, and there's less Pokemon, and yet, I don't even feel that all of these Pokemon meet the level of the RS Pokemon(and many people already thought they were rubbish). They definitely need to add more Pokemon each generation... But it's most important that they pay attention to getting their designs looking as good as possible. Everything else about D/P looks like I'll love it(aside from only 151 Pokemon available before beating the game, again), but I'd say there's been at least 1/4 of the new Pokemon that I've seen that I don't like. And that ranges from dislike to loathe.

New Pokemon are definitely needed... But keep their quality up. Zigzagoon, Sentret and Rattata are all cool. Bippa SO isn't.

Back