• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too many water types?

Do you think there are too many water type pokemon?

• No

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 21 60.0%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I agree. There are way too many water-types. Don't get me wrong, there are some useful ones, but then again, there are some stupid ones (Koikingu, Hinbasu, Tosakinto, blah, blah, blah). But I do like a few of them (Gorudakku, Buizeru, Furouzeru).​

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    There has to be one type that is in overabundance. Bug should be too since there's so many types of insects in real life too.

iReign

Banned
    Years
    It's completely logical that Nintendo would include bunch of water type Pokemon, because the Earth is mostly water. I do like the versatility of water type Pokemon though.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I agree with the 'theres more water than land' logic but you have to take in account, why use logic about a video game that has giant flying green snakes and goat God Pokemon? :\ I agree, there are too many water Pokemon. I mean, c'mon, there are many types (fire, steel, dark, dragon and electric (sort-of)) which are getting neglected. I mean, why do we need a Fimmion? :\

ShadowLeader

because shadows follow...
    Years
    ahh...there can nvr be too many of any kind of pokemon....and Blastoise is one of the best choices period. but i do agree most water pokemon are weak and useless.....

NDS525

-NO SIGNAL-
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    Well it's to late!
    Can't get rid of them now!
    Hopefully Nintendo will create less 5th generation!
    (if there is one)

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I think there will most likely be a fifth generation. Especially with Platinum being quite a success and everything. It's not that I dont like Fimmion and Luminion, its just that I thought that it was not needed.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    TL;DR - Because I can.

Japan loves their fish, don't forgot that.

Yeah, I've always disagreed with this sort of topic. The amount of water-type Pocket Monsters reflects the diversity of the ocean. (Oh yeah, logic, you know, they are allowed to use it in some scenarios) It's fine, the way I see it. Just because some Pocket Monsters of that type are overlooked doesn't mean there's too many of them, either. Pocket Monsters are neglected from types all across the board, it really depends on what a person thinks of a certain Pocket Monster. I'll use Mantine and Qwilfish, you might not.

Also, they aren't too top or bottom heavy (water-types) they've got some of the weakest (Magikarp) and some of the strongest. (Manaphy and Kyogre)

4 regions (one of which has an entire ocean), 92 water-types. (23 per -- on average -- region? It's not that bad.) And besides, as mentioned earlier, there has to be outliers somewhere. And gee, they're not that much of their own outlier with normal right behind them with 80. In fact, water has had a tough time through the years trying to keep ahead of 'em. (only having 3 more, on average, per region) Water-type takes up a mere 2% more than Normal-types percentage-wise of all Pocket Monsters.

Espeon~ said:
    I mean, c'mon, there are many types (fire, steel, dark, dragon and electric (sort-of)) which are getting neglected.
    Remember, some types need to stay lower than others to make sure balance is kept.

For instance, half of the general Fire-type's movepool include base power over 100, they've got to keep fire at bay. (Water only has 3 100+ base power moves) It's not helping to making that type overabundant. They're rare, it should stay that way.

Steel, the most defensive type, too much of them and you see other types really become completely useless. Their type was introduced to keep dragon-types in check, ala invincible Gen I Dragonite, too. (the only one that resists that over-powered type)

Dark's case is just like steel's. Introduced in Gen II to keep psychics in check, hence their greatest advantage is that immunity. They've also got one of the best dragon-type revenge kill checks. (Weavile) And they're also like ghost, with so few.

Dragon-type: quality over quantity, again. They're a powerhouse type, only one other type resists their attacks, and need to crawl generation by generation. Too many dragons cuts diversity at the throat.

If there's a truly neglected type, it's Bug, but the majority of people dislike them, annnnd they're commonly tagged as weak. Someone has to get the short straw somewhere.

The point I'm trying to make here is that some types have smaller amounts because of their quality or purpose. Yeah, I agree that some end up on the wrong end of the deal. *cough bug cough* Type quantity is diverse, from 18 ghosts to 92 waters. And I currently don't see any problems with it.

Espeon~ said:
    I mean, why do we need a Fimmion?
    For beauty contests, that's why. :'( [/SHOT]

And yeah, I just spent way too much time and effort on this, but I like making tl;dr posts, so I could care less. |D

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I like Water types. And yes, according to Bulbapedia there are more Water types than any other type. Top 5 most popular types:

1) Water (93 Pokémon)
    2) Normal (78 Pokémon)
    3) Flying (65 Pokémon)
    4) Grass (56 Pokémon)
    5) Poison (50 Pokémon)

I haven't checked it out but i'd wager there are more pure-Water types than any other pure types as well.

Personally I have no problem with there being so many Water type Pokémon. I've always felt there are too many dual-Poison Pokémon. And some of them are so pointless as well, like I never understood why the Bulbasaur family were part Poison when Grass is weak to enough types as it is, why add Psychic as a weakness as well? It also meant in Red and Blue that Grass Pokémon were weak against Ground type moves! So yeah, for me Poisons are the un-necessarily overused type.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I like Water types. And yes, according to Bulbapedia there are more Water types than any other type. Top 5 most popular types:

1) Water (93 Pokémon)
    2) Normal (78 Pokémon)
    3) Flying (65 Pokémon)
    4) Grass (56 Pokémon)
    5) Poison (50 Pokémon)

I haven't checked it out but i'd wager there are more pure-Water types than any other pure types as well.

Personally I have no problem with there being so many Water type Pokémon. I've always felt there are too many dual-Poison Pokémon. And some of them are so pointless as well, like I never understood why the Bulbasaur family were part Poison when Grass is weak to enough types as it is, why add Psychic as a weakness as well? It also meant in Red and Blue that Grass Pokémon were weak against Ground type moves! So yeah, for me Poisons are the un-necessarily overused type.

Off-topic: Seems there's differences in their database. If you check each type's actual page on their side-bar, the actual total is different. XD;

Water is 92, Normal 80, etc.
    ---
    And I agree though, and eh, I don't mind poison too much, though, gives the evil guys some nasty looking things to work with, I guess. Haha.

Years
    Well, let's keep in mind that Japan is an island. It's surrounded by water, and of course, there are many ocean creatures. So many ideas about water types are probably based off them.
    I'm honestly a water Pokémon fan so I really don't mind. ^^

Last edited:

Nnoitra Jiruga

Your. SCREAM's. a. whisper.
    Years
    Well, let's keep in mind that Japan is an island. It's surrounded by water, and of course, there are many ocean creatures. So many ideas about water types are probably based off them.
    I'm honestly a water Pokémon fan so I really don't mind. ^^
    But it's not REALLY Japan its...-cough- Sinnoh. x D
    'Nyways, I think there is a tad bit too much water types. It's a surprise...I don't have any water types in my D/P or Plat. Team...
    >.>

Years
    But it's not REALLY Japan its...-cough- Sinnoh. x D

Spoiler:

Anyway, while I do like Water-types and realize that they have to be plentiful in regions because they learn many important HM's and it makes sense for there to be a variety of them - after all, I think everybody who I've known to play pokemon has always had a Water-type on their team when they've played through the game. But...

A lot of the Water-types that I see in the games just seem a bit... useless. I really dislike that there are so many Water-types that are nearly identical to each other in skills and don't have anything unique or special to them that sets them apart from the others. It's a problem with other types, too, but since there are so many Water-types it's much more apparent.

For example, what does Luvdisc, Lumineon, Corsola, Pelipper and Whiscash bring to the table that's unique, different or useful compared to other Water-types? To be frank, nothing. They're all either crap, are completely outclassed by a similar pokemon, or both.

Sorry for the rant. But anyway, I guess my point is that I don't think there are too many Water-types necessarily, just too many useless ones that either seem like they're vague copies of previously created pokemon or are just useless. :)

Back