• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too much originality

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2009
    If it wasn't for the originality, I wouldn't read this manga, and I think most people will have the same thought as me. Why reading this when it's virtually the same as watching anime and playing games?

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • I get what you're saying, but I think that's why they have the Manga and then the Anime. Manga is definently better in my opinion, simply because it seems like a maturer pokemon themed world than the anime. The anime itself and the game are, I suppose, the 'true storyline' of pokemon. However, if it wasn't for that originality of the manga, would you have read it? I know I wouldn't have. :)

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Yes, it is a little too original. Skipping the required amount of battles in the Battle Palace, Natu and Mantine capable of learning Fly, Volt Tackle without Light Ball, Spheal battling Gardevoir in the Battle Factory where the two would never meet; I wouldn't count on PokeSpe to learn the games.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 26, 2011
    SO you're saying you want the best Pokemon manga in the world to be some cliche series with now storyline an crappy charactes.

Three works

Anime is enough

I love the originality, I didn't liked RUby being a Coordinator, but it was cool once you got used to it, the whole badges having special powers was the best thing I've ever thought about same thing for they interupting the Pokemon league and make it a place for a huge battle. And more of it all, they just keep adding more and more coolness to it

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2010
    Too original? Definitely not.

If you want something with the same linear and boring storyline as the games, then the anime is there for you. But if you want something that isnt exactly what you played through the games, with new and interesting characters, (And not the same guy for 500+ episodes..) Then Pokemon Special is a great outlet. Especially for fans like me, who have been with the series since the Beginning on Game Boy, and arent 12 years old anymore. I understand how Nintendo wants to keep this a childrens series, but I personally am getting bored with the games lately, and Special is actually exciting, there is action and even death in some points, it is definitely more realistic than the show where nothing bad ever seems to happen. Also, the characters in the Anime just seem boring. I mean, May left the team, and now Dawn is there, but they are basically the same person to me. =(

I also Love the character of Ruby, he is a huge departure from many generic anime/manga heroes. I also felt a deep personal connection to his character, in nearly all aspects.

I also love Sapphire's wild personality. Another type of character who is almost unheard of in many anime/manga today, especially for a girl.

Anyway, i love the manga completely, (except maybe Emerald's chapter, i didnt feel much of a connecion with him, lol) and its great for more mature fans of the series and people who like to take the world of Pokemon more realistically.

And also, like another poster mentioned, This version of Pokemon is the one the creator himself said is most like the world he envisioned.

The Pokemon games themself are made to sell, not to entertain anymore, but the manga captures the charm of the series completely, in my opinion.

Lol, okay, im done!! Sorry for such a long post, lol, i just coudnt stop. ^^;;

Haha, or maybe im just a nerd with too much time on his hands. >_>

BTW Im only 19!! I didnt mean to sound like an old man! lol

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
  • I also Love the character of Ruby, he is a huge departure from many generic anime/manga heroes. I also felt a deep personal connection to his character, in nearly all aspects.

Well said. Totally agree here.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    Too original? Definitely not.

If you want something with the same linear and boring storyline as the games, then the anime is there for you. But if you want something that isnt exactly what you played through the games, with new and interesting characters, (And not the same guy for 500+ episodes..) Then Pokemon Special is a great outlet. Especially for fans like me, who have been with the series since the Beginning on Game Boy, and arent 12 years old anymore. I understand how Nintendo wants to keep this a childrens series, but I personally am getting bored with the games lately, and Special is actually exciting, there is action and even death in some points, it is definitely more realistic than the show where nothing bad ever seems to happen. Also, the characters in the Anime just seem boring. I mean, May left the team, and now Dawn is there, but they are basically the same person to me. =(
    Other Rated E video games that I played over the years did had stable plotline so there is really no excuse for Gamefreak to make the Pokemon games repetitive. The primary reason I play video games is because of their storyline. The action and all other reasons are secondary. That is probably why some people look at the characters in the Pokemon games being generic and the same person in each generation. Of course I do not think that way I see them all as individuals characters. Also I think that is a bad sign that Pokemon Special has a more stable plot then the games in my opinion because I feel that the original story should be much better.

And also, like another poster mentioned, This version of Pokemon is the one the creator himself said is most like the world he envisioned.
    It has been a while since Satoshi Taijri said that there is no telling how he feels about this manga currently since the plotlines has gone in a different direction then the games.

The Pokemon games themself are made to sell, not to entertain anymore, but the manga captures the charm of the series completely, in my opinion.
    In my opinion I think that entertainment is what really entice individuals to buying a product and will help the company make more profit off the product.

I know people are probably going to bash and flame me for saying this though, but this is how I feel and I am allowed to voice my opinion on this matter.

Last edited:

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • The Watchmen film should be proof that sticking closely to the source material doesn't always work.

Aside from the whole "legendary bird trio merging" business, the originality worked in the manga's favor. I honestly think the game franchise should take more inspiration from it.

red king

The Sky Of Your World
    Years
  • i don't think the manga has a problem with originality it's was make special a great video game manga like the connection Red had with deoxys and Red's rematch with Giovanni using mewtwo vs Deoxys was awsome without words so i hope the keep it up

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2009
    I personally think that the originality is what makes Pokémon Special really is Special. ;)
    Why hate originality? That's good, and it never gets too much.
    Unless if all Pokémon turned into humans in the manga, and the humans were gone. Now, that's what I call by TOO MUCH.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • You all are using the wrong word. The word you're thinking of isn't originality, it's congruency. So for all you genii who posted things like "you can never have too much originality", I recommend you edit your posts to actually contain an intelligent comment.

What the OP was trying to say is that the plotline for Pokemon Special is so far out there, so incongruent [to the games and anime] that it barely seems like the Pokemon world anymore. THAT is something I agree with.

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
  • I just wanna say, if anyone cares to read, it isn't the fact that PokeSupe is "original". PokeSupe would be a great manga in its own right, but the way it takes Pokemon and changes it to the extreme that is goes to is what bugs me personally. I love nostalgia, classics, remembering the "good old days". While I'm not quite "old", I do recall the old days of Pokemon. While I love the revamped animation and new plot, it kinda pisses oldbies off when they see that the team they're fighting against, instead of good ole Team Rocket, is a bunch of enviroterrorists or a bunch of computer geeks with spandex. I could make a DragonBall movie reference, but I think that would make me an [insert expletive here] at this point.

Back