• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Too much to Figure out and Remember x.x

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I've never had too much trouble in other games when it comes to figuring out all the daily events but it's really become overwhelming especially if you're like me and refuse to use guides.

Nintendo seem to really have thought this game through. Although I applaud them, as this is what makes games interesting, I'm finding HeartGold impossible to play unless I read guides or have plenty of time to kill.

Some of the things I'm talking about:
    • Gym Leader appearances (to get their phone number)
    • Gym Leader rematches
    • Trainer rematches
    • Safari Zone appearances
    • PokeWalker Pokemon exclusive appearances

Unless you're using guides or even if you are using them, you'll notice that they've added a significantly larger quantity of trial-and-error events and honestly, I find it annoying.

Is anyone else a little overwhelmed?

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    I agree with you 100%, it's pretty annoying sometimes how strict some of these events are.

First off you can only get a gym leaders phone number when you meet them at a very specific place or do a specific event. If you didn't use a guide how the hell would you figure this out?

Then once you do get their number you can only schedule rematches on certain days, between certain hours. Then you can only battle them 1 day a week after you have done all this tedious stuff. I should just be able to phone the gym leader up, choose the rematch option and meet them somewhere.

And what makes it more ridiculous is how the game uses real world time, so you actually have to wait a real world week before you can battle these gym leaders again.

In the safari zone it takes like 70 days to make a bagon appear. Are you ****ing kidding me? I read that before I got Heart Gold so I assumed a day in the game would be like 4 real world hours or something. Why the hell would someone wait 70 days to catch a damn Bagon, that's just ridiculous.

Years
    lol i liked it. i never measured a pokemon game is hours, days, or months. but years :) lol
    but im kinda a slow player also hehe

some of the phone calling and rematch problems are never fun though

JustinDestruction

Rockin' Trainer
    Years
    The phone thing is just bullcrap. I can't stand that I have to hunt down the gym leaders, and that most of them show up in the mornings and at odd times. I always miss them. I wish rematches weren't so weird too. It's so hard to level up any kind of Pokémon in the game due to the weak wild Pokémon. You have to battle to get any good EXP., and you can't even battle at will because there's no Vs. Seeker. The trainer stuff really was the biggest flaw of the games by far.

Pazuru

★ [ Fukidokuritsu ]
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I broke down and used a site to get all the Gym Leaders' phone numbers. There was no way I could have found out how to get all of 'em myself. As for when to call them, I put them in order of when I should call them (Erika is first because I call her Sunday morning, and Brock is last because I call him Saturday Night). It's been working well so far.

But yeah, there is an overwhelming amount of events now, but it does let the game last longer, I suppose.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I got fed up with remembering and started going back on serebii.net. Ugh so much stuff in the game. Its a good thing but sometimes it makes my brain hurt x.x

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    Sorry... I used a guide right away.

But if you want to level up a pokemon fast, just have it carry exp. share while your strongest pokemon(s) take down the Pokemon League. That's what I do! Beating the elite 4 is like 60000+ exp. Which means 30000+ exp for your exp. share holder.

Another way to do it is have a team 6 lvl 40+ teddiursas or phanphys (you can get it at mt. silver) and KO wild pokemon continuously. About 1 in 18 battles one of your party teddiursas or phanphys will have pick-up a rare candy. HGSS battles go pretty fast, especially if you battle lvl. 3 pokemon, so this doesn't take too long. This is the quickest way to level up higher level pokemon. Again, any lvl 40+ pokemon with the pick-up ability will do.

Manga

Manga Lover~
    Years
    I used serebii.net for a few things.I had NO IDEA what to do..Only for a few parts.It's quite confusing from my perspective..

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    Sorry... I used a guide right away.

But if you want to level up a pokemon fast, just have it carry exp. share while your strongest pokemon(s) take down the Pokemon League. That's what I do! Beating the elite 4 is like 60000+ exp. Which means 30000+ exp for your exp. share holder.

Another way to do it is have a team 6 lvl 40+ teddiursas or phanphys (you can get it at mt. silver) and KO wild pokemon continuously. About 1 in 18 battles one of your party teddiursas or phanphys will have pick-up a rare candy. HGSS battles go pretty fast, especially if you battle lvl. 3 pokemon, so this doesn't take too long. This is the quickest way to level up higher level pokemon. Again, any lvl 40+ pokemon with the pick-up ability will do.

The problem isn't that it's hard to level Pokemon up. Of course there's always the classic method of battling the Pokemon Leagure repeatedly but that gets boring.

Damn this game. These games are awful games for portability. Unless you're spending tedious hours doing all the specifics, you aren't going to get anywhere.

Back