• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too much?

Too many games?

• Totally! Talk about spamming.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I guess so, but what does it matter?

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Nah, it's fine. It won't corrupt Game Freak.

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • DUH! Of course not! Keep on coming, ya beauties!

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • YOU IDIOT! OF COURSE IT'S A GOOD THING!

Votes: 15 22.4%

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I think you're wrong mainly because if the rate the games are being released at are as detrimental to the quality of the games as you say I'm definitely not seeing that when I look at Pokemon X & Y. The quality of the games looks as strong as it has ever been.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    My point is they should stop continusly making new games before giving us a chance to even PLAY the one they just released. They're going to ruin everything if they just keep making new games, over and over again. It creams my corn!

The games usually do not come out as fast as they did with Gen 5. Usually 3 to 4 years is the gap between generations which is more than enough time to play all of the games and all available spin offs at least 4 times. None of the games take that long to play through even for casual players. They aren't moveing too fast at all. They move fairly snails pace.

There's already am ongoing project called Pokémon Generations.
    Anyway, Digimon Masters Online but with Pokémon and managed by a good company (because Joymax sucks) and with pvp would easily become one of the most (if not the most) played MMOs.

Is this game fan made ? If yes I would like soemthing similar and more official tho.

Gamefreak doesn't support the idea of large scale games like those so if its a TPCi authorised idea, its not going to be from gamefreak. Most likely its a Creatures Incidea if not some third party developer who wants to try to leech off of the Pokemon industry.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • If you ask me, I think GameFreak moves a little too slow. Three to four years is the average time between new generations and GameFreak doesn't seem to be doing anything differently now. If anything, this was bound to happen given Gen V was made for a dying system and they were overdue to release a main series game for the 3DS.

However, I'll never understand the argument of, "They need to let us actually PLAY the games before releasing a new one." Like, does it really take you three years just to finish playing a Pokémon game that can generally be finished in a week tops?

Also, I'd never be okay with just 30-50 new Pokémon for a generation. That's just not enough new Pokémon to have fun with.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    My point is they should stop continusly making new games before giving us a chance to even PLAY the one they just released. They're going to ruin everything if they just keep making new games, over and over again. It creams my corn!

Pretty sure GF knows what they are doing. Your arguments don't really make sense. For gaming, the more games the better! There can never be enough games.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • I only skimmed the first few posts so sorry if this is no longer relevant to the discussion, but I think there's a difference between going 'too soon, too fast' and simply continuing the series.
    I prefer not having to wait five years for a new game to come out.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I think there are too many Pokemon games out there. Too many of the sequels in each generation have very similar gameplay to the original version. Their improvements have only been very slight. I'd consider buying one game from each generation to get a real difference, like for example: New Pokemon and new moves.

Nakala Pri

I feel that you're looking at things the wrong way. Let's take a look at how a business works:

Gamefreak has been selling Pokemon for nearly what, almost 20 years? Give or take. Throughout those 20 years, they've tried many formulas, they've implemented many things. Some resonated with fans, some didn't, and that's honestly how it's going to be. You're still going to buy it right? Then as long as you, the customer, are buying the games, what's there for GF to worry about? Pokemon games these days are selling by the millions, and it's literally ridiculous to see how much they're flying off the shelves. I'd say GF is far, far, far from being anywhere near bankrupt or "collapsing on itself" as you seem to imply, because as long as the game keeps making them rich, they will keep designing more Pokemon, and they will keep shelving out Pokemon games until they no longer make money from it.

If you decide not to buy it, then that is your choice. However, bluntly speaking, you are only one person out of the millions of Pokemon fans that might purchase the games and give GF the revenue it needs to make more Pokemon games. That only proves that the company is being successful, not that anything negative is occurring.

I'd say nothing is happening too fast, either. BW2 is done for; whether you had your chance to play through Unova or not, GF will move on as it sees fit. Also, take note that Pokemon Conquest is a spin-off game, and take note that spinoffs are usually much, much shorter than their main-game counterparts. I remember beating Conquest in a relatively short period of time (about a few days, give or take?) and then kind of put it down afterwards. I mean, I assume GF knew that this whole time; and just shoved out Pokemon Conquest to keep fans entertained while they continued working on other projects that they had, like Pokemon X and Y.

I feel that this is the most logical guess to what went on, but that's just my perspective. I think you're jumping to conclusions a bit about how it can collapse upon itself, when it's doing extremely successful so far.

Hmm... I think I may have to surrender... xD Well done! I am surrendering because my shoulder hurts too damn much because it's connected to my neck... and my neck almost broke yesterday. But well done, anyways. ^ ^

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • My point is they should stop continusly making new games before giving us a chance to even PLAY the one they just released. They're going to ruin everything if they just keep making new games, over and over again. It creams my corn!
    So you're point is that they should take EVEN LONGER than 2 years to release a new main series game? I'm pretty sure most fans are opposed to that idea, since we love the franchise and would love new releases as soon as possible. Plus, 2 years is long enough to play a game...maybe a couple weeks for the hardcore gamer, or a couple months for the casual gamer.
    I don't know, maybe you're talking about the spin-off games? I seem to really enjoy them, specifically Mystery Dungeon and Ranger, and those seem to pass the time quite well while I wait for the new main games.

I know, but why can't they keep us wanting more? They just keep giving to the point we have TOO much Pokemon to play with. 700 so far is quite enough, give us a year or a few to make us giddy with excitement! Here is an example, if people kept giving out free Pringles, people would get sick of them and really fat! xD
    I understand your points, but think it through carefully, it doesn't make too much sense. They're a company, and sitting idle while people get "giddy with excitement" for years before starting up another project is a waste of time, money, and is ultimately more detrimental to the company than dishing out "too much" games. Plus, I don't see how making too many games loses fans...if anything, I see it the opposite way.

tnfsf11

I don't think the company will fall anytime soon (hopefully).
    The DS games were moving baby steps while making little changes but then suddenly BAM! 3D graphics, Fairy type, Sky Battles, Map based on an actual country...etc.
    Making a Fairy type alone would open the door for many possibilities such as new pokes, new places, new storyline & whatsoever.
    What I'm saying is that they would never let one of their most successful franchises go, they would push it to the limits & if at a point there was nothing else to do, they would probably release a "tribute" game announcing the end of the Pokemon games, which would be awful yet reasonable instead of cloning games or ruining the franchise by making unnecessary changes (take note Digimon).

If you think the screen is too small why not buy a 3DS XL? :D

Years
  • I think GF are one of the most patient companies for developing new games. While the games do come quite often (though not nearly as often as many series such as CoD), quite often this is because of third versions/sequels or remakes to fill the gap between the serious new developments. I personally am very happy with how long it takes to transfer from one generation to the next and I think GF actually want it to be slower than it currently is. I don't think we would be seeing a sixth generation if GF hadn't been in the middle of developing B/W when the 3DS was being announced, they've now had to force themselves into making a new generation to sell the 3DS. B/W actually have various features which could have made them last for a long time, but I think their lifespan was always going to be short due to the release of a new console. So GF got a sequel out of the way and allowed themselves to work on a new generation. Ideally, I think GF would have wanted at least the four years (and probably more) that came between 3rd and 4th gen and also 4th and 5th, but have been sort of forced into bringing one out a bit earlier which is still fine.

The only time I was a bit sceptical of Game Freak releasing a new generation was when Black & White were originally announced, I thought two sets of games released on the same platform seemed a bit odd especially since Platinum was still consuming a lot of my time, but they pulled B&W off well and added the final bit of life for the DS.

If they were producing generations too quickly then the series would be dead and no one would be buying the games anymore, but obviously they remain critically and commercially successful, and as a result I don't think there's really much merit in arguing that they are releasing new games too often. I do agree that maybe we should restrict the new pokemon each generation from now on though, perhaps seventy as a maximum could help to prevent a serious deterioration in the quality of designs. When they start producing games that are consistently below 8/10 imo then I'll worry about the games being rushed.

Years
  • From my experinces, the decline in Pokemon started when they were released for the DS. A lot of my friends said there were just too many pokemon. I took a break and skipped Diamond/Pearl and got Black/White. And personally, I liked the way Black & White started, being all new pokemon until you beat the Elite 4. It was like fresh start for pokemon and you got to know the new pokemon well. Unfortunately X & Y will not be like that.

Nakala Pri

I SURRENDER TO YOUR HOLYNESS! FORGIVE ME FOR MY OPINION! DON'T KILL ME BY MAKING SUCH GOOD POINTS!

I wave the white flag...for now... but keep in mind I probably have more posts then any of you. *sticks tongue out*

Clemps

I'm stuck in the bath
    Years
  • I think so long as Gamefreak continue to create unique creatures with the classic Pokemon feel, the franchise will continue for years to come. And now with the 3D graphics boost, it'll open many windows of opportunity.

I'm predicting Pokemon Z will come out a year after X and Y.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I'm not sure what problem your looking at here. For starters the games don't even really come out that fast at all, especially compared to Call of Duty for example. Another thing is the: more games=less interest argument. I don't agree with that even a little bit. You're more likely to displease fans by making them wait rather than idk, giving them what they love more often.

Not really seeing a problem with this at all.

Edit: Probably shoulda read more posts before posting, as many of the same points are being made

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    LOL at the designs starting to get stupid.
    Too much?

While I do agree that the timing in which they released Gen V was pretty poor, I don't think they're giving us too much. Gen V came out when the 3DS was going to be released, and I was really hoping that they would have released the game on both DS and 3DS like what Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns did, but they were riding out the DS train a little more than they should have.

Gen V felt very rushed to me, but because Gen VI is on a new system I'm hoping that they'll let us savor X and Y a little more before they start throwing new stuff at us. Give us reason to love this generation as much as Gen IV when that really made the online Pokemon community erupt.

We better get our Ruby and Sapphire remakes this gen too. Ffs.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Oh boy, this discussion again.

First off it must be understood that nobody is not forcing anything upon anyone. Like everything else that's bought for pleasure, people are voluntarily spending their money on things they like. Pokemon has its signature formula that's been implemented in its main series for years and it has been proven successful time after time because people keep buying games.

All Pokemon fans like this basic formula, which involves going on a journey to collect badges and raise your Pokemon to be the strongest while saving the world from an increasingly threatening organization. The problem is that people get their panties wadded up over the details that differ from game to game. These details include such things as the addition of more Pokemon, visual and audio updates, side challenges like contests and Battle Frontiers, varied battle styles, changes to PvP play (which sprouted a massive competitive community), and small tweaks to gameplay like being able to use Repels the moment they run out. All of these things - all of the things GF adds to each successive Pokemon game - do not take away from the basic formula that people buy them to experience. Making changes that enhance the very core of how the game is played is how true innovation works within the video game industry.

The notion that GF is moving "too fast" is utterly ridiculous, as is fearing that the dignity of Pokemon will be reduced to that of Call of Duty. The recent surge in main series Pokemon titles is absolutely incredible. B/W completely revamped the entire experience and made the series accessible to a new generation of children, B2/W2 offered a new sequel experience as opposed to just a third title, and X/Y are making improvements that remind me a lot of the transition to R/S/E. And yet all of these changes did not tamper with the core of Pokemon at all. Hell, we should be really proud of GF for cranking out such great additions to the series in such a short amount of time because that in itself shows how hard they're working for the sake of the consumer. Hell, it's not even that short of an amount of time. The gap between gen 4 and 5 was four years, and the gap between 5 and 6 will have been over three years.

The idea that GF will run out of Pokemon ideas is also laughable and has been a completely invalid argument for YEARS now. Pokemon can be based on absolutely anything, so any design is acceptable as a Pokemon. It really bothers me on a personal level when people spit on new games because they "lack creativity" when the games that pioneered the entire franchise featured THESE.

Too much?
    Too much?
    Too much?
    Too much?
    Too much?
    Too much?
    Too much?

It just really bothers me when people spout nonsense like this because it's pointless fear mongering. The business model behind Pokemon has proven successful for so long, so just have some damn faith and unclench.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Aside from all the points already made, bear in mind that the gap between Gen 5's last game and Gen 6's first game is a bit shorter shorter than the gaps between most generations for a good reason: the 3DS needs a boost. Pokemon games are insanely popular and bring a lot of sales to a system. I'm pretty sure I've also read somewhere that Nintendo's been pressuring Game Freak to get Pokemon onto the 3DS as quickly as possible, so there's that, too.

But even despite the urgency and a presumably shorter time window for development, X and Y are looking excellent so far. I don't really see what there is to be disappointed about. If it's the quality of the graphics, I'm sorry to say graphics aren't really the 3DS' strong point, especially when compared to other systems these days. You can't expect the gorgeous graphics of modern console games on a Nintendo handheld. That's not laziness on the developers' parts, that's the limitations of the system. Pokemon's a big game with a lot of content and (now) 700+ monster models to include, and I'd sacrifice hardcore graphics for great gameplay and extra content any day. Personally, though, I think the graphics look great for a Pokemon game.

If you mean it's the Pokemon designs themselves that look "rushed" or "uninventive", that's a dead horse that's been beaten since Gen 2 and I'm not gonna bother going into it.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It's one of the best selling video games franchises, of course it's gonna be milked. It's the same with Mario. Just milked all the way.

The real question is if the quality of the milk is up to par. Whereas Mario actually keeps getting better, Pokemon tends to go back and forth. B/W were pretty god damned awful compared to the fantastic Platinum.

I personally think that they should, for once, actually focus on cleverly designing a region that isn't linear in its core. Seems to me the main attraction for each new Pokemon gen is well, new Pokemon. But we're already reaching 700 of them. Though I guess X/Y finally got something else as its pull with is 3D graphics, but we're already way past the point where 3D graphics are revolutionary. Give designing Pokemon a rest for next gen and focus on polishing the mechanics (needs some real work after B/W) and designing a great, big region.

the 3DS needs a boost. Pokemon games are insanely popular and bring a lot of sales to a system.
    The 3DS is the fastest selling game dedicated hardware right now. We're already way past the "3DS NEEDS SALES" phase since..more than a year ago.
    The 3DS is also way more graphically capable than you think, but judging from the quoted sentence I'm assuming you don't own one anyway. It's the CPU that's the problem. But that's a completely different subject.

Last edited:

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2013
    I like all of the games that Game Freak is producing. I like the variety and a lot of the ans do too. I hope that Game Freak keeps releasing games quickly, I was excited to see a new Pokemon game quickly after B/W 2.

Back