• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Top 3 Favorite Games

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Title says it all. I'm really curious as to people's likes when it comes to video gaming. Please restrict yourself from just listing games - tell us why it's your favorite and maybe why we should play it!

I'm creating this thread via phone so I'll give in detail my top 3 at a future point in time!

pkmin3033

This is a surprisingly easy list for me; my top three haven't changed too much over the last few years. My top 10 or even my top 5 would be another story though. Anyways, in order...

1. Xenoblade Chronicles.
    Xenoblade is quite simply the greatest game ever created. I didn't realize just how stale and predictable JRPGs had become until I played Xenoblade, which surprised and pleased me at every turn. It has a story that sucks you in and is constantly leading you astray by giving you flashes of the future, inviting you to predict what is going to happen next...and then turning your expectations on their ear and revealing something completely unexpected. It has an active and engaging battle system which toes the line between an ATB system and real-time combat, giving you the best of both worlds: real-time, but with an element of strategy which means you can't just spam the same moves over and over to win. It discourages power-levelling, meaning that it is actually challenging a lot of the time. It's set on the carcass of a deity, and has some pretty stunning locations, especially for the Wii, which was nowhere near capable of what the PS3 or 360 could deliver. It also doesn't sport the standard voice cast you find in every other JRPG on the market, which is a huge relief. It actually lasts almost as long as it claims to last - the story took me about 60 hours to play through, with a fair degree of exploration along the way - and not once does it stop being enjoyable. The soundtrack is also breathtaking. The only negative thing I can think of to say about Xenoblade is that it ultimately has to come to an end. It's the best JRPG to come out in well over a decade and it's going to take something damn near flawless to surpass it.

2. Tales of Symphonia.
    Playing Symphonia Chronicles last year just reaffirmed for me how much I love this game. It's aged very well, all things considered. It has a fantastically varied cast, an engaging battle system, and the music is some of Sakuraba's best. The first time I played it a lot of the story twists shocked me too...I also think it's the only Tales game that has done the "two worlds" concept right as well, with the possible exception of Eternia, which even then didn't give really equal focus to both sides. Symphonia also has Zelos Wilder, so any and all arguments that could be put forth against the main cast become irrelevant. It's also the only Tales game to date to give proper focus to its villains - good villains go a long way with me, as their motives are often far more interesting than the protagonist's, and the whole structure of the Desians and its leader's motivations was very interesting indeed - and, whilst it has a crappy sequel, that doesn't affect the quality of the first title. It's a shame the skits aren't fully voiced, but you can't have everything.

3. NieR. NieR has something few other video games of the last three generations have had, at least in my opinion: a genuinely emotional story. NieR is a masterpiece of storytelling, which only gets deeper and more heartbreaking with each consecutive playthrough as you find out why the world has gone to hell, exactly what has gone on over the weird time gap between the prologue and the rest of the game, and what you've actually been doing throughout it in your quest. It's dark, often humourous in a fatalistic fashion, and bits of it are painfully tragic. The world has gone to hell, and it shows. NieR also has a very interesting cast. A sarcastic talking book, a foul-mouthed hermaphrodite, a boy who turns everything he looks at to stone who lives in a big empty mansion with his monster sister chained up in the basement, and Nier himself, a middle-aged man (!) trying to save his daughter. They make for quite a colourful cast with some highly amusing party banter. Did I mention the soundtrack? No other game even comes close to measuring up to it. It's 90% vocals, and it generates an amazing atmosphere throughout the game. It also gets bonus points for having a connection to Drakengard, one of my favourite PS2 games.

...it pains me to leave the little-known Baten Kaitos: Neverending Wings and the Lost Ocean out of this list, so it's getting an honourable mention here.

Razgriz

Acetaminophen
    Years
  • Ooookay, here's when everybody will see how old I am hahah

Metal Gear Solid - BEST.GAME.EVER. Game were all about killing and shooting people, MGS is all except that, you are supposed to infiltrate and avoid detection. That means taking care of noise and weapons so enemies wouldnt hear you. The story blows your mind, even if you haven't played the 2 previous games for MSX and the characters are really deep and different, you never feel like it's a repetitive game or there was a part where developers thought "eh, i dont feel like working today". Everything just feels great, no glitches at all and it gives you two different endings, so you got at least a reason to replay it. Wanna know what's the best of it? It's a PSX game and to me none of the existing PS2, PS3 or PS4 games are better than it. I have a PS3 and I bought the game and yes... I still love replaying it.

Final Fantasy VIII - I know I know, it's not FF7 but guess what, I freaking love this game. The gameplay is simple and clean, I have to admit it's a pretty easy game but the good thing is that it can also be a hard one. For instance, I remember the first time I played this game and I didnt level up too much or got enough items and weapons, so every part ended up being a huge pain in the ass and really stressing! Once I replayed it and obtained everything to make a 100% run the game was soooo easy, but I still enjoyed everything since you can really see how good you get. Another thing I love about this game is the story, it's cheesy and crazy and I love it! hahaha I like how romantic it is at times but how it also has a weird and twisted part where it plays with time and facts to confuse you. And let's not forget, the card game was the best minigame in any ff game after ff8. FF9 rocked but the card game sucked.

Gran Turismo 2 - I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS GAME. I used to play it all the time with friends and my sister. What I loved so much about this game? The simulation feature. You got lots of cars with some customization and colors, and some cars aren't super cars, just my mom's car xD I just loved it, the game felt super long so it took me about 4 years to finish it, same with GT4. The game has this thing that keeps pulling you to play it, it doesn't have a story or anything but you know that if you pass that race you can buy a super awesome car and beat the hell out of everybody... until you find a new car you want xD Great simulation game for PSX.

Yup, I love PSX games and I loved my PSX!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • In terms of games series, it would be:
    1. Persona
    2. Zero Escape
    3. Neptunia

But... I have to say games, huh...? :/ That's a bit tougher but... I guess this.

1. Persona 3 Portable - Game which really started my gaming career and I wasn't ever immersed in game so much as I was in P3P. I also love it more than P4 due to cast and especially protagonist.

2. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - If Persona wasn't made, Zero Escape series would be my undeniable favorite series and both games would go to my TOP 3. I can't even express how I felt while playing this. It was really close to what I felt while playing P3P. But all of this comes from my huge respect to the whole series. So without previous knowledge of 999, I probably wouldn't like it as much. Plus, this game was Vita seller for me. That can never be forgotten.

3. Persona 4 Golden - Well... same as P3P, just because Persona is my heart series. It was even better than the original P4. And due to trophies, I even completed everything possible. I didn't feel the same as P3P or VLR but still it was better experience than other games =)

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • Making a list like this is really hard for me because every game I play leaves deep marks in my mind. It would be much easier to make a Top 10 or 20 or something. But here we go.

3) Pokémon R/S/E - Hoenn is my favourite region. It's so big and has so much to explore. I loved the new Pokémon, the characters, the legendaries, everything.

2) Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - might be a weird game to put in a Top 3 as it's only a few hours long, but holy hell was I brought into its world and captivated by the story and amazing design. If you have a small amount of cash, grab this and take a few hours out of your time to experience it. The end brought me to tears.

1) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - I could pair this with the first Paper Mario as I enjoyed both pretty equally. TTYD is just the more polished game. It's the perfect blend of adventure-RPG gameplay and the witty and eccentric Mario universe. So much charm and epicness.

And some honourable mentions being Tales of Symphonia, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last of Us, EarthBound, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Final Fantasy V, and Heavy Rain.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Final Fantasy IX
    Super Metroid
    Ocarina of Time

Being restricted to three was tough, but I think I'm just about happy with that overall. I know that list makes me seem such a 90s kid douchebag, but I can't hide who I am. That's the best SNES game there, the best N64 game and as for FF9, it's my personal favourite RPG of all time. All sorts of things go into making a good JRPG, but the most important thing is the story. All the other bells and whistles of graphics, music, battle systems, etc. are essentially window dressing to what the driving force and the purpose for playing, and that is to further the story and experience the highs and lows of the characters whose stories are being told. What I love about FF9's story is it's simple, yet personal and touching. It's sort of hard to explain, but the only way I can think to do it is to compare it to the predecessors and while they were often more dramatic with many twists and turns and all that, I feel in comparison FF9's story had more focus and attention to detail, and the emotional tone of the story moved forward at a more considered rate, so it was less of a Soap Opera and more of a well crafted story.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Spore
    SSX
    Mass Effect 2

Given how many games I've played over the years, this was tough to narrow down but as far as satisfaction goes, these games brought out the most in entertainment for me.

Spore - The depth to this game took my breath away for years on end, exploring and creating newer and more exotic ecosystems never got old even after I "beat" the game when I traversed to the center of the galaxy and turned the Grox into harbingers of my will.

SSX - This one made me a fan as soon as I picked up and played it. The music and environment was mesmerizing through and through and even though I sucked at this game, pulling off tricks in this game never got old even for an instant.

Mass Effect 2 - Sure, the other 2 games in this series are good but honestly, they felt like B grade material in comparison to this entry if you ask me. The atmosphere in this game felt more unique than any other game I've seen before, the gameplay was as addicting as it was tough, and the newer characters more often than not hit more than missed as far as personalities went. That, and the satisfaction I got out of beating this game on Insanity was nothing like I've ever felt before. Now that felt like an accomplishment.

Honorable mention goes to Pokémon Ruby due to how much I rocked the shit out of that particular entry when I was younger. To say that I was a badass in that game would be a pretty damn vast understatement.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Good god this was hard to pinpoint... A lot of the games I want to list out are on this list mainly due to being related with happy memories, as they are multiplayer/co-op.

1. Teen Titans (PS2)

This is definitely one of the most memorable games I have ever played. I immediately thought of the game when I saw this thread. It is possibly the best game me and my brother have played to date, despite the old graphics. Prior to the game I had to idea who the Teen Titans were - heck when I saw the cover I thought it was a Batman game! However when my brother and I started to play the game together, I fell in love with one character - Beast Boy. He is my all-time favorite superhero to date. Not only does he have the most awesome superpower ever, he's also funny and extremely good in the game. His ability to transform into any animal made him a unique character, and I can't count the number of times me and my brother replayed the game together just because we found it so fun (wow, I'm getting nostalgic just from typing this).

2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)

Ah, where to start... SSBB was my first Smash bros game. Prior to purchasing it, my brother was suspicious on whether it would be fun. I recognized a few characters on the cover, such as Kirby, Mario and Pikachu. Little did I know it would soon become one of the best games I ever played. Myself, my brother, my cousin and my friend all gathered in the summer to try out the Subspace Emissary, and we all fell in love with the characters. We rarely ever got to watch the cutscenes (as our game was glitched and kept replaying the Samus and Pikachu cutscene) but that didn't stop us from playing the story. We were extremely hyped for every new character that would appear, as we had no idea who would come next. Defeating Tabuu at the end of the game was difficult, but we finally managed to do it - and it was a glorious day.

3. Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo DS)

Go Sinnoh! :D Gen 4 is my favorite Pokemon Generation, solely because of this game. It holds many personal titles: First level 100 Pokemon, Highest Pokemon Catch Rate, Lowest Level Team to Beat the Elite Four, Coolest Location in all the Games (Distortion World <3), Best Antagonist Team Leader, and Best Champion (love Cynthia :D). It was a game of tears of joy and tears of sadness, a game of many hours spent on contests, battles, berry farming, poffin making, and tag teaming with my cousin who played on HeartGold. The music of the first route, the atmosphere of the Distortion World, and the creepiness of Team Galactic (which strangely resembles team Flare in the sense they both want a perfect world) all showcase how awesome that game is, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Very very honorable mentions which I could not ignore in this list: Toontown (PC), Smite (PC), LEGO Batman (PS2), Assassin's Creed 4 (PS3) and Ben 10 Alien Force (PS2).

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Series:

1. Final Fantasy
    2. Pokemon
    3. Digimon? This one was real hard.

Individual Games:

1. Final Fantasy X

This is my absolute favorite game of all time. Sephiroth be damned, I've got a hard on for Seymour. The story is by far my favorite, endgame is even more ridiculous than any prior game, and the voice acting for the most part was pretty fucking stellar. And Anima is the most badass summon from any game.

2. The Misadventures Of Tron Bonne

I've explained this one waaaaaaaaaay too many times now.

3. Pokemon Gold

Because I can.

Years
  • Top 3:
    Pokemon: Simple yet effective. I love characters and building a team from a huge pool of characters that are able to transform and learn new moves is just too fun.
    The Legend of Zelda: Beautiful art styles, world, interesting level design and puzzles, rewarding boss battles, odd/quirky characters, and many weapon.
    Paper Mario: I love the art style, partners, level ups/customizations, badges/skills, level design, enemies, bosses, action response and funny dialogue. It's the perfect game. (IF only there was a paper pokemon!!!)

12 Honorable mentions
    Smash Bros
    Mario Kart
    Persona
    Donkey Kong 64
    Resident Evil
    Bayonetta
    Hyrule Warriors
    Super Mario 64/Mario Sunshine
    Banjo Kazooie
    Star Fox
    Fire Emblem