• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Topics to discuss on first dates

Years
  • When I went on my first date with my ex, the first thing we talked about was our favorite high school memory. We both went to the same high school, and we were both seniors when we dated, so I thought it made sense.

Years
  • Not much of a dater, but I wouldn't want to talk about my boring life or hear about their day, but get to the honest part of what both of us are truly thinking about and talk about sex. (though I guess leading up with some small food chit chat would work too...)

hnnggg i'm not much of a dater either but i don't got dat sex game

Years
  • I love dates. I talk about pretty much anything that comes to mind. Adversity, their career aspirations or current career, what they were like in college, their interests, whether or not they still party, and I kind of screen them for latent racism and sexism. Like everyone is racist/sexist to a certain extent, but I look for if they are more than average.

Years
  • Not much of a dater, but I wouldn't want to talk about my boring life or hear about their day, but get to the honest part of what both of us are truly thinking about and talk about sex. (though I guess leading up with some small food chit chat would work too...)

That's very... forward. Although, I do think it is important to be genuine with what you're thinking, at least to some degree, like you said. Also, if sex is a topic that is willingly and happily brought up between the two (or more???) of you, preceded small food chitchat or not, then I do think it is an important thing to discuss ASAP and lay down boundaries/interests/consent/etc.

As for other topics... I'd say it depends on the person you're with and the location. I think movies can be kind of restricting if that's all the date is, unless you're both comfortable watching and making jokes/snarky comments/talking about what's going on during, which can be a lot of fun.

Generally, I'd assume going for common interests and showing genuine interest in what they're saying, contributing yourself, etc. Making terrible puns optional. I joke if it's me on a date they have to make puns otherwise it just won't ever work soz.

Conversation flows naturally if you're not scripting yourself, I think.

Years
  • Topics I wouldn't be game for on a first date... Sex.

As for what I would discuss... man... On my last date I had to deal with a language barrier and that was no fun at all. There was also this preconception, on his part, that I would love to give him an English lesson on our date... I didn't. But, I did find that steering the conversation towards hobbies and interests helped a little. (He only had one hobby though...)

I find that playing a board/card game on a first date in a bar/pub usually works out. You can talk about the game, let out your playful/competitive side. And from there you can talk about other games... what you liked as a child, which leads to talking about your childhood and things just escalate from there. Drinks also takes the pressure off a bit. You don't have to sit there for a whole meal, worrying about what to talk about. And if you both hate it, you can bail after the first drink!

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Casually mention a range of different topics until your date clearly shows interest in one of them then roll with it

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Any topic that isn't related to sex, past relationships, and your bizarre obsessions. Your job on your first date is to not show your affection so easily, for you have to have your date find out on his/her own.

Back