• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Torterra

FireEagleDeWitt

The Ghetto Soulja Boi
    Years
    Do any of you guys think this will be a good Torterra?

NAME: Torterra @ Choice Band
    NATURE: Adamant
    MOVE 1: Wood Hammer
    MOVE 2: Earthquake
    MOVE 3: Stone Edge
    MOVE 4: Crunch
    EV'S: 212 HP/ 252 ATK/ 46 SPD

Rakoin

Milotic
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2007
    Well my Torterra runs like this:

Torterra @ Leftovers
    Adament Nature
    Wood Hammer
    Leech Seed
    Earthquake
    Stone Hedge

Rakoin

Milotic
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2007
    Though I've never played Wi-Fi so I've never actually tried it =\

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Oh, so close. Everything looks good, exept the EV spread.

Why the heck are you giving it SPD EVs? It doesn't make sense. When people EV train, they know a pokemon's greatest & worst stats. You should know that Torterra is so slow, putting SPD EV's will be a waste. Especially so little.

A better spread would be a more defensive one. It will NEVER outrun anything important, other than other Torterra, Blissey, & things with under Base 50 SPD. If you want to use Choice Band, make it more defensive, since it will always go last to the real threats.

252 ATK, The rest spread between Defense & HP.

Oh, alright because a really good Torterra should have 252 ATK and 252 SPD and the rest should be HP. On my opinion.

Don't think that by maxing out its SPD EVs, you can make a slow pokemon fast. That isn't how it works. No matter how many SPD EVs you give it, the only pokes you will outrun can wall Torterra without SPD. Stop playing with his weaknesses & work with what he does right: Def, HP, & ATK, making him a damn good Tank. & a decent Choice Band user.

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Torterra is the only physical wall (aside from Bronzong) to resist both Rock-Types and Ground Type moves, a popular Physical sweep combo, but then it has a really bad weakness to Ice which is also used with Ground-tyoe moves.. which explains the use of more Bronzong

Personally I'd run Synthesis over Leech Seed on Shadowed Venusaur, instant heal is always the bigger demand

I also run Seed Bomb at times when my Torterra doesn't have Leftovers, now now, I ONLY do that to fit Torterra in a team of creation

Eleventyseventy

But why is the rum gone?
    Years
    Stop playing with his weaknesses & work with what he does right: Def, HP, & ATK, making him a damn good Tank. & a decent Choice Band user.
    You're right about which stats need EVs but..

252 ATK, The rest spread between Defense & HP.
    noooooo.

Torterra @ Leftovers
    Impish Nature
    EVS: 252 HP/200 Def/58 Atk
    -Seed Bomb
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Leech Seed/Curse

Torterra's best role is physical wall, as Name pointed out.
    It also can't be Choice Banded to be a physical wall, because it still has to be able to deal back damage.
    Leftovers works much better, and then there's no need for Synthesis.
    Then use Leech Seed for more HP.
    I use Curse and it works nicely for the physical wall set, or for any Torterra set really.
    Attack and Defense Boost is exactly what Torterra needs.
    Curse away and it'll be a tough poke to take down.

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
    I wanted to try something like this for a Torterra idea. It should be good.

Torterra@Leftovers
    Impish nature
    EVs: 252 HP/128 Def/128 sp. Def

Amnesia/Earthquake
    Leech Seed
    Earthquake/Synthesis
    Curse

Why Amnesia? Well, this setup can turn you into a pretty big tank without doubt. Leech Seed, Curse, do whatever it takes to set up, then when needed, if added, use Synthesis. You'll last a while if you manage to set up on them. I think it'll work, and I want to try it. I have another set on my mind too.

Torterra@Leftovers/Expert Belt (I try to limit Leftover use.)
    Adamant Nature
    252 atk/252HP/6Def

Seed Bomb
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Curse/Crunch

Yeah, this is sorta basic. The first one is just a random idea I might be able to exploit in the future. The second one I can make pretty much anytime.

sims796

Years
    As for Torterra putting special attacks on it is suicide. With Aggron and Bronzong it'll actually wall a lot of stuff so I'm inclined to tell you to change Torterra to a more tank action kind of set. Take it away sims.

Okey dokey.

My Torterra

Torterra@Leftovers-----DESTROY NAME!!!!!!!!!
    Nature:Impish
    Wood Hammer
    Stone Edge
    Eathquake
    Synthesis/Leech Seed
    EV: 252 HP, 86 ATK, 176 DEF

This is one of many sets. It can also be effective with Curse, losing Synthesis or Leech Seed, and investing a bit more in ATK. Much more ATK can warrent Choice Band, but I highly advise my Tanking set. Of course, Synthesis is to recover from your own Wood Hammer, but becomes dimmed in Sandstorm, so Leech Seed might help.

Last edited:

Eleventyseventy

But why is the rum gone?
    Years
    Not really. Superpower lowers attack and defense.
    Torterra needs those. And Crunch is more effective for countering Cressy to stop Ice Beam. :)

sims796

Years
    But leaves you walled to Skarmory. Completely. & Bronzoong, &...get my drift?

You know, there really arent that many pure Steel types.

Regardless, Torterra has many moves, & can use em effectively. My set works just great, as Wood Hammer is one of my favorite moves, plus with Synthesis, I recover from any major damage.

However, some can go with a more...defensive role, using Curse, Seed Bomb, & Leech Seed. '

His strenghts lies in his diversability.

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Superpower can go over Crunch.

That was a typo. I meant 252 HP, not ATK. It was 3:47 in the morning, sue me.

Now that I'm awake, this is my Torterra:

Torterra@Leftovers-----DESTROY NAME!!!!!!!!!
    Nature:Impish
    Wood Hammer
    Stone Edge
    Eathquake
    Synthesis
    EV: 252 HP, 86 ATK, 176 DEF

Its my favorite Tortanka...

Destroy Gengar ._.

Anyways, no point on Amnesia, almost all Sp. Sweepers are BoltBeamers, the Beam part gets Torterra out of his shell

ultradarkrai

treeco tre
    Years
    Do any of you guys think this will be a good Torterra?

NAME: Torterra @ Choice Band
    NATURE: Adamant
    MOVE 1: Wood Hammer
    MOVE 2: Earthquake
    MOVE 3: Stone Edge
    MOVE 4: Crunch
    EV'S: 212 HP/ 252 ATK/ 46 SPD

yours is graet i might copy it but stone edge isnt very acurate you need grass attacks but its good

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Wood Hammer is a Grass move X.x;

I like Synthesis over Crunch on Torterra. Its a defensive pokemon so it likes recovery moves

Back