• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Toughest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Most difficult Hoenn Leader?

• Roxanne

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Brawly

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Wattson

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • Flannery

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Norman

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Winona

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Liza & Tate

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Wallace

Votes: 11 13.3%

• Total voters

TheUnit684

Heedrim
    Years
    Norman's tough and all, but thanks to Truant, there are ways to get around the might of Slaking. No, the one who always gives me the most trouble, to this day, is Wattson. I don't know what it is, but those electric/steel types that early in the game always seem to outmatch whatever my party is at that point. That's usually the first time I have to stop and grind. After Wattson, I usually don't have much problems with the Gyms.

Years
    No gym leader's gave me problems. I was expecting Norman to be tough, but because Swampert can learn Echoed Voice, all I had to do was spam that. Another reason why Game Freak should make the games harder again.

Years
    I definitely have to say Norman. He was a huge struggle for me due to his Slaking. He continuously used Yawn and Retaliate on my Pokémon, and it was extremely annoying to say the least. Luckily I had Manectric handy and eventually was able to use Discharge on Slaking, paralyzing him. From there on out the battle was relatively easy. Not sure what I would've done without Manectric.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2019
    I gotta say the hardest was Wallace, for me. Growing up I had Ruby so without sableye, Brawly can be a challenge. Norman was pretty easy, Swampert learns protect before he evolves, use that every other turn and it's game. His Vigoroth is easy to take down, imo.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Winona, by far. Because in my play through Alpha Sapphire almost all my team were physical attackers, and Altaria had that freaking Cotton Guard. The only one who were special was my Braixen who couldn't do much against Altaria. It was one of the hardest battles I've ever had while playing the main story of a Pokémon game, and I got really excited during the battle. Never thought I would complain about this, but after this experience, I really wanted Game Freak made Pokémon games harder. It's a lot more fun when you really are challenged by the game.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Yeah Norman's really got the Truant switch technique down-pat. Which is great, makes for an exciting battle.

I like when GF sets up trainers with more sophisticated battle algorithms. That's what makes Battle Maison exciting.

GengarsTeeth

Ghost Breeder
    Years
    Yeah Norman's really got the Truant switch technique down-pat. Which is great, makes for an exciting battle.

I like when GF sets up trainers with more sophisticated battle algorithms. That's what makes Battle Maison exciting.

it's been ages since I played ruby, sapphire and emerald so I can't remember for sure. I do remember thinking it was harder than Diamond and Pearl though.. I have both remakes but I haven't played them yet, been too busy since I finished XY.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    None of the gym leaders were particularly hard in OR/AS, thanks to both the new EXP mechanics and Super Training. If I was to pick one, it would be Wallace.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2015
    I'm playing through pokémon Emerald right now, and of the 6 gyms I've defeated, and the seventh I've fought (but not beaten yet) I found Wattson to be my toughest battle. It's probably cause I had a type disadvantage with a lombre and a grovyle in my team so I decided to catch elektrike and that appeared to be the winning thing.

I found Norman quite easy, and I trained my pokemon not even a little bit between Flannery and Norman. I found some of the trainers in the gym tougher as I fought all of them to get some exp. Especially wigglytuff (it destroyed my whole team the first time I fought it)

K-A

Distancia Fantheem
    Years
    didnt really have any trouble during my First and Second playthrough of the game,

i think i had a bit of trouble with Winona and by that i mean she was the only one who i didnt one-shotted with just one pokemon, everyone else was a total pushover, i was dreading fighting Norman but i was disappointed, they should have stuck with the old RSE Slaking for norman the one with Facade and didnt have truant, that was wayyyyyyyy more challenging than the one that i got presented with in ORAS

TL:DR all the ORAS G.Leaders are Pushover, RSE Norman was better

Years
    Wattson was a nightmare to fight since I started with Treecko and had no access to Fire or Ground types, that and only my Grovyle was suited for heavy offense at the time, and don't get me started on Wallace or Norman

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Toughest Hoenn Gym Leader?

Hmm... I don't recall having much, if any, trouble with all eight gym leaders in those games.

If... they were packing teams that they had in Emerald, it might be a different story.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    I didn't have much trouble with Norman, Flannery was harder. That damn Torkoal...

I got hit with Retaliate about 6 times though, luckily I had revives and Linoone is like a bulldozer.

Years
    I think it really depends on what Pokemon you have when you fight the gym leaders. If you want a, say, Lanturn as your water pokemon, you can't get one until later on in the game, and if you don't have a ground or rock type, Flannery would be really tough for you.

So, for me, it was Wattson, because I didn't have a pokemon with SE moves on Electric or Steel. However, overall strength of team I think was Wallace.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Winona and Flannery hands down. Norman's trainers were harder than he was lol. Silly Slaking always loafing about.

ExeggutorTrainer

Harvest Pokemon's
    Years
    They were all push overs i use a variety of pokemons only real problem was norman and his sleeping slakings. Good thing i had breloom to mach punch.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Wattson was always ridiculously difficult for me, even though I stomped him in ORAS.

I always had a lot of trouble with Norman, Winona, and Tate & Liza... Just like everyone else, aha ;_; You wouldn't think Norman would be so hard since his type is Normal, but oh my god Slaking ;A;

Back