• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Toughest In-Game Opponents?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Out of all people that you've fought in the games so far, who would you say was the hardest? It could be anybody--a gym leader, an Elite Four member, a tourist, one of your rivals, the Pokémon League champion, some random roller-skater, you name it! Why were they so tough to you? When you were battling them, what Pokémon did you have on your team? Also, how long did it take for you to have them defeated and what was your strategy?

For me, Lysandre was pretty difficult to go up against. He had a Gyarados, which would always make me flinch with Iron Head. Gyarados doesn't have access to Serene Grace or anything, so I'm not really sure how it was able to make my Pokémon flinch this often. His Gyarados knew how to use Outrage, too. With this move, it had the chance to take down two of my Pokémon in a row. I did have a Blastoise, but unfortunately, it wasn't on my team at that time; it was in my PC. If I had it with me, then maybe it could've walled it and saved some trouble. Besides Lysandre, Malva was quite tough as well. All her Pokémon were challenging, but her Talonflame though... it was just impossible to beat. With Brave Bird, it was able to get through Scizor and Chesnaught without breaking a sweat, who are my most most valuable team members. d: To finally defeat Malva, I had to use a lot of recovery items.

Years
  • I honestly recall having most trouble with Valerie, actually. At that time I just didn't have good Pokemon to counter fairies. Other than that, though, the game was mostly a cakewalk due to Exp All.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I can't even say if there are any good post-game battles? Other than your rival boy (w/e his name is), I can't think if there are any battles you can do more than once.

Last edited:
    Years
  • For me, I had the most trouble with Clemont, the electric gym leader. My team just couldn't handle him and it wasn't as though I had weaknesses to him either and I wasn't under levelled.
    Malva's Talonflame was a nightmare too!

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
    Years
  • I had trouble with Siebold and his Gyarados in particular because I wasn't running a pokemon with electric moves, then it started sweeping me after a few uses of dragon dance.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2020
    Siebold was really tricky for me as I had two Fire types in my team and no Electric or Grass. Managed to beat him in the end though. And I am yet to dare try and take him on since...

Years
  • A lot of people I know had trouble with the sky trainer who uses Emolga

The one right near Reflection Cave? Ugh, that was outright infuriating. I recall getting her last one to 1 HP and she used Attract and kept confusing me.

That Veteran in Victory Road with the Alakazam was also quite scary.

And yet, the Champion does less than half health to one of my Pokémon with a super-effective attack (granted, I killed her ace with a critical hit, but still).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Generally, NPCs at the Battle Institute and Battle Maison can be really tough (they can also be absurdly easy; some consistency would be nice). And it's annoying when some of them give these snarky respones when they beat you. Still have yet to get a 50 win streak....

More specifically, I've had trouble with Clair in HG/SS and Cynthia in Platinum AND the PWT.

Clair was really hard because at the time, you have all of 2 or 3 Ice types and possibly 1 Dragon available to you. And they aren't nearly enough. Your choice of Ice types is between Jynx and Piloswine. Jynx is too slow and not bulky enough to handle all those Dragons. Piloswine isn't very good at all, and Ancient Power, which is required for it to evolve into Mamoswine, who IS good, can only be taught it via the move relearner, who requires a Heart Scale that you probably don't have. If you were fortunate enough to win a Dratini at the Goldenrod Game Corner, you have yourself a dragon. Problem? It doesn't evolve into Dragonite until level 55 (and its rather unlikely it'll be that level by the time you get to Clair). So your Dragonair can't handle all those dragons either.

The story for Cynthia: I was a bit underlevled when I did the Elite 4 in Platinum, and you all know that Cynthia is no pushover. I burned through most of my healing itmes and revives fighting her, and in the end, it came down to each of us with one Pokemon, and my Magnezone just barely beat out her Aura Sphere using Togekiss. The funny part about that battle is that I stalled out her Garchomp to death with friggin' Giratina.

With her in the Black2/White2 PWT, all I need to say is: Garchomp+Focus Sash+Jolly+Outrage=you lose at least one Pokemon, no matter what.

In Gen 6 I for some reason had trouble with Viola, of all people. Perhaps it was because I didn't have any Rock, Flying, or Fire Pokemon in the very beginning of the game, but you'd think that the game's first Gym Leader, especially one using Bug types, wouldn't be that hard. But she almost beat me.

Oh, and I hated the Black/White Nimbasa City Gym.
    Me: Yeah, its an Electric type gym! Let's wreck ****, Sandile!
    *2/3 of the Pokemon in the gym are Emolgas*
    Me: FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-
    And to make it worse, the guy who tells you about the weaknesses of the gym's type doesn't mention a thing about the Emolgas until Black2/White2, when you already know about them. That would've been nice to know the first time, you prick!

Last edited:

WonderfulWhiscash

Murderous Magikarp
    Years
  • [/QUOTE] Besides Lysandre, Malva was quite tough as well. All her Pokémon were challenging, but her Talonflame though... it was just impossible to beat. With Brave Bird, it was able to get through Scizor and Chesnaught without breaking a sweat, who are my most most valuable team members. d: To finally defeat Malva, I had to use a lot of recovery items.[/QUOTE]

Malva? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA surf surf surf surf surf WIN
    btw sorry if I messed up with trying to quote.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    i never had trouble with anyone in game, always stuck to type advantages. Only lost pokemon when i was screwing around.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    I had a lot of trouble with the Sky Trainer on Route 18(?), the route between Anistar City and Couriway Town, simply because he has an Aerodactyl with amazing type coverage. Between Stone Edge, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, and I'm guessing Crunch (I never actually saw its fourth move), it can hit almost anything that can be in a Sky Battle for super effective damage. My only high-level flying type was Talonflame, and that was not about to beat an Aerodactyl, so I had to train a Gyarados all the way up to level 50-something and abuse Dragon Dance and Waterfall just to beat the thing.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Lysandre gave me a really hard time, but I think that was due to bad type matchups. His Gyarados destroyed my whole team, and I had to come back with a bunch of revives and potions. I used almost all of them before I finally beat him.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    For me it was those god forsaken inverse battles along with AZ and Wikstrom but those battles were tough mostly due to me acting too conservative and hoping my lead could tank a few Pokes rather than go the more offensive route and switch out between guys to have my bases covered.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2013
    For me I've only started playing pokemon from Black. And for me it was the ground trainer in Black, that Krokorok with Swagger, made my team kill it's self @-@. And for Pokemon X I'd say that dragon leader in the elite four. :,D Dragons are OP to begin with so wasn't expecting any less.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • The sky battles usually caught me unprepared. If I ever did have a flying Pokemon with me, it was one that I was trying to level and had no prayer of winning. I usually don't carry more than one flying Pokemon at a time anyways :/

Back