• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Toughest puzzles?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • Not necessarily just Gym Puzzles, this can include caves and other dungeon areas, etc. What was so tough about it? How long did it take you to beat the first time?

I've always had issues with the Snowpoint City Gym; despite the fact that it's actually super simple once you get the concept down and once you've beaten all the trainers. It's something I've never mastered despite my numerous Diamond playthroughs and I'm now actively playing Platinum and dreading it.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Lt Surge's gym, the switches switch so it's a brain twister to activate correct switch before restarting itself. Wallace's gym it just gives me big headache even following the guide still confused me slightly.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I always found Candice's Gym Puzzle to be quite a time-consuming task. It wasn't necessarily that hard, just lining up correctly became quite confusing when dealing with all those snowballs. LT Surge's gym puzzle was just plain annoying.

Years
  • Clay's Gym was the most annoying for me. It was easy in BW, but in B2W2 it was much harder imo. It took me about 1hr to just find the correct path. Wallace's Gym was also hard. One wrong step bringing you down to the start -.-

Years
  • There's loads of tough gym puzzles but the Regi Puzzle is without a doubt the toughest for me, like seriously it's so random and without the internet I wouldn't have even known it existed. I think that's what's missing from Pokemon games nowadays, something nobody expects and that get's everyone thinking, things seem to be too linear now.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    If anybody here remembers the original Sky Tower from R/S/E, that puzzle with the breaking tiles on the mach bike, that drove me insane when I was younger. I do remember spending hours on it, I can't remember exactly how many hours, but I do remember it being hair pulling hard.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    Flannery's gym in Alpha Sapphire was hella annoying. Wallace's gym was annoying too, but only the first puzzle gave me trouble, the others weren't so bad. And I will also second Sabrina's gym as there never seems to be any rhyme or reason to that puzzle (that I can figure out anyway).

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    oh and its not a gym puzzle, but did anyone else have as much trouble as I did at getting the Furfrou out of the garden in Pokemon X/Y? I spent way more time than I'd like to admit trying to figure that one out.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I thought I was the only one who had difficulty with the puzzle in Candice's gym! My sister never had any difficulty doing it so I let her solve it after numerous attempts. I did figure it out on my second playthrough, but it was frustrating and time-consuming. I think I spent a good hour trying to figure out how to reach Candice.

Chasing Furfrou could count as a puzzle in itself! I had difficulty catching the Farfetch'd and Furfrou too. It always seemed like they had an escape route even when I cornered them. :(

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • The last part of Sootopolis Gym got me a few times. Even though it's pretty simple I kept messing up and having to start the whole thing over again.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Chasing Furfrou could count as a puzzle in itself! I had difficulty catching the Farfetch'd and Furfrou too. It always seemed like they had an escape route even when I cornered them. :(
    Yet it's most annoying puzzle that aren't a gym, just one noise may make farfetch'd move out and uncareful movement could make furfrou find another spot

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
    Years
  • Those of you mentioning the Braille involved with the Regi's clearly never looked at the manual included in the box ;)
    I will agree that it's the most awkward if you either lost the manual or you've played it via an emulator since then

Years
  • Dark Cave. With no Flash. Yes. This. This right here. I did complete it though. I got far enough in that it was a 'might as well finish' moment instead of turning back. That and I had no escape ropes at the time. Generation 1 was tough. It was at that point in time where the internet wasn't very helpful in these matters (like the tips to talk to Oak 500 times in a row and he'll battle you with a Lvl 100 Mew, for instance)

Back