• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Toxic monkeys and electrified beavers?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Do you ever wonder why some Pokémon can learn the moves that they have access to? Pokémon like Aipom learning Toxic and Bidoof learning Thunder Wave have always confused me greatly - I see no reason at all for either of these pairings to make sense and yet it happens so often amongst the Pokémon 'kingdom'. How do you think the Pokémon gain the ability to use these moves and would you prefer a more accurate take on movesets, or do you like the nonsensical additions?

Years
    I think the acquisition of moves in this sense is more meta than canon. Meaning, the normal types can get a wide range of moves in their arsenal, without getting the STAB that the poison or electric type would get respectively. It's a play on the neutral side, jack of all trades, master of none.

But, that's what I think..
    Take Snorlax for example, he can learn Psychic, Surf, Crunch, Solarbeam, Tbolt, Thunder, EQ, Flamethrower, and so on.

Sirfetch’d

Basically whenever I see a Pokemon that learns a questionable move, I always tell myself "it's ok, this is just Pokemon logic", but really it doesn't make sense and in some scenarios makes it seem too weird to even think about.

For example, there are many Pokemon that learn Fly, but shouldn't. Some of these Pokemon are Vullaby, Hoothoot, Doduo, and Dotrio. These are just the Pokemon that should't learn the move in the first place, but there are many more that learn it that look like they have the ability to fly, but in no way would be able to transport a human across the region such as Pidgey, Swablu, and Pidove. This has always bothered me because it makes the already impossible and makes it more confusing.

There are also many Pokemon that learn Toxic, but shouldn't. Nearly every Pokemon learns Toxic via TM and I really don't see the point. I would assume only Poison type Pokemon and maybe a few Bug types should be able to learn it because their real life counter parts might be considered poisonous. In no way does it make sense for a Aipom to learn this move. I mean look at it. That thing is way too adorable to be poisonous. You also have Pokemon like Bronzong learning it and it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Surf is another move that comes to mind when thinking of this because you have Pokemon with a 4x weakness able to use Surf such as Rhyhorn and Rhydon. You also have Nidoqueen and Nidoking that can use it and I don't see why.

These are just a few that I can think of right now and I will update this later with a more detailed post!

Years
    I agree, but with Doduo and Dodrio, the question to why they are flying type to begin with is raised.

Sirfetch’d

I agree, but with Doduo and Dodrio, the question to why they are flying type to begin with is raised.

Well they are most likely flying type because they are based on an Ostrich, which is a type of bird. So their typing definitely makes perfect sense, but learning Fly doesn't. If you watch their animation if Pokemon Stadium it just looks....weird.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I don't get how Pachirisu can learn Gunk Shot. I mean, isn't gunk shot like an icky ball of garbage? How does Pachirsu, a cute electric squirrel, gain the power to shoot such foul stuff? Also Tauros learns Thunder...since when can an ordinary bull gain the power to shoot lightning? o.o the Pokemon world is truly an oddite.

Sirfetch’d

I don't get how Pachirisu can learn Gunk Shot. I mean, isn't gunk shot like an icky ball of garbage? How does Pachirsu, a cute electric squirrel, gain the power to shoot such foul stuff? Also Tauros learns Thunder...since when can an ordinary bull gain the power to shoot lightning? o.o the Pokemon world is truly an oddite.

Wow Pachisrisu can learn that? That certainly is one of if not the oddest ones out there haha. It's pretty interesting that you mention Tauros having Thunder in it's moveset as weird, but doesn't that apply to almost all Normal Pokemon? I am pretty sure that most can learn a lot of the elemental beams.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yes, I certainly wonder sometimes. I guess it's mostly to make pokémon somewhat similar in strengths and weaknesses in the game. But if we are to move outside of that, I'd agree with Normal type being a sort of jack of all trades, knowing a little of everything but not having any STAB for them.

As for Toxic and other poison moves, maybe pokémon can develop poison somewhere inside their body and with a bit of practice or the help of a TM can learn to use it in an attack? Pokémon can change shape and typing radically in evolution, why wouldn't they be able to grow subtle electric sacks in their cheeks to learn some new move?

Some pokémon are born with strange Egg moves - that's obviously a mutation depending on parents and whatnot. But maybe HMs and TMs actually work by inducing some kind of growth inside the body or an additional gland or something that allows a pokémon to physically perform a move? Not impossible :3

Another take on the whole thing is that pokémon who can learn strange attacks and seem to lack the necessary body parts or something to actually do it, they rely on Aura or the kind of power that pokémon get their strength from in the first place. They somehow conjure the attack up from pure energy and turns it elemental.

That's only for special moves though. Physical moves, I don't know :x Energy-wings lifting Doduo up into the air?

Years
    Yeah it is always weird to see Normal types learning variety of moves being the latter pretty useless in battles mainly haa haa. Also I am concern about Shadow Ball how even some cute looking pokes could learn it too

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
    Toxic icky goop style moves being learned by cute little 'mon is because it's actually fecal matter.

A variety of things learn thunder wave because - imagine if that critter bites you at the right spot on your spine, it'd feel like electricity and leave you partially paralyzed.

Doduo/drio learns wing based moves because it has wings! While not always used, they are still totally functional appendages.

Unborn pokemon learning odd moves, in the egg, is in fact due to genetic mutation, and that's why it happens more often when the parents are of different species.

That's all I've got for now.

Years
    Well, in a world where there is free healthcare, human can ride on pidgeys, Wailord x Skitty is possible, controlling and capturing a legendary Pokemon, evolving by trading (If you think about it carefully, giving away a Pokemon to make it evolve makes no sense whatsoever)...

Toxic monkeys? Electric beavers? Oh please, That's nothing compared to majority of Pokemon logics.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    True. Aipom learns Toxic because he's got awesome tekkers and makes up a poison from natural ingredients, then hits your pokémon wih it.

Bidoof learning Thunder Wave? Static electricity, perhaps? I get electric shocks all the time, luckily I haven't been paralysed yet though.

Years

Pachirisu uses Gunk Shot? That's one oddity indeed, especially given the movepool of it I'm familiar with is mainly Electric moves. But yeah I always question the movepools of certain Pokemon and why some learn moves that I think they wouldn't.

Yeah, a flightless bird that can use Fly, but its Japanese name doesn't even say Fly which is odd. I guess it like, just leaps into the air? Same could also be said for Delibird, which is based on a penguin yet it learns Fly. And even Vullaby's Pokedex entries say it can't fly but again, it has Fly in its learned movepool.

Yes, I certainly wonder sometimes. I guess it's mostly to make pokémon somewhat similar in strengths and weaknesses in the game. But if we are to move outside of that, I'd agree with Normal type being a sort of jack of all trades, knowing a little of everything but not having any STAB for them.

As for Toxic and other poison moves, maybe pokémon can develop poison somewhere inside their body and with a bit of practice or the help of a TM can learn to use it in an attack? Pokémon can change shape and typing radically in evolution, why wouldn't they be able to grow subtle electric sacks in their cheeks to learn some new move?

Some pokémon are born with strange Egg moves - that's obviously a mutation depending on parents and whatnot. But maybe HMs and TMs actually work by inducing some kind of growth inside the body or an additional gland or something that allows a pokémon to physically perform a move? Not impossible :3

Another take on the whole thing is that pokémon who can learn strange attacks and seem to lack the necessary body parts or something to actually do it, they rely on Aura or the kind of power that pokémon get their strength from in the first place. They somehow conjure the attack up from pure energy and turns it elemental.

That's only for special moves though. Physical moves, I don't know :x Energy-wings lifting Doduo up into the air?

Rika definitely has a point there, especially with Normal-type Pokemon who tend to learn loads of different attacks of varying types. Most can learn the Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower trio or even its stronger counterparts Blizzard/Thunder/Fire Blast.

TMs and HMs do exist after all, to give Pokemon several options to cover certain types. You could even count Move Tutors in this as well given the interesting moves they have on offer and the variety of Pokemon that learn said moves.

Years
    Bidoof learning Thunder Wave makes perfect sense. He is a normal type, and normal types have a huge type-range, move-wise.

Aipom can make poison out of the berries he finds in the trees if you think about it.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    Not usually. It just annoys me when some pokemon are blessed with moves that don't make sense, whereas others... let me skip to the example in mind:

Emboar learns Grass Knot and Scald, yet is a physical attacker that never uses these.
    Yet Typhlosion, another fiery mammal starter, a special attacker which would actually benefit from these, does not.

What gives, Gamefreak?

LAWSICK

see you next mission.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    the versatility of Rhydon has left me speechless for years, especially how it can be taught Surf. like....why?

and how some Pokemon's anatomy would obviously conflict with its ability to learn a certain move BUT NOPE. we got Torchic -who has no arms or even fists- and can learn DynamicPunch and Mega Punch.

ChipmunkGamingInc.

Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.
    Years
    The fact that Doduo and Dodrio can learn Fly while having no visible (or invisible)wings and yet Scyther has baffled Pokemon fans to this day. A couple of my friends and I were discussing this one day and we came to the conclusion that they actually use Bounce instead of Fly (even though this move didn't exist in Generations I and II)

While we're on the subject of the move Bounce, have you seen some of the Pokemon that cn learn this move?? For example, the more likely Pokemon to use it are Buneary, Loppuny, Politoed, Azumarril, Jumpluff, Hoppip, Skiploom, Spoink, etc. Right? Those Pokemon are based off of real animals with powerful hind legs, right?

So, humor poor little me: Why in blue blazes would Wailord be able to learn Bounce? The poor Pokemon that has to take that attack!! I can see it all now...:
    The foe's WAILORD used BOUNCE!
    JOLTIK fainte- Excuse me. JOLTIK died!
    PLAYER must now make a trip to LAVENDER TOWN!

My poor Joltik...

Nakala Pri

Normal Types can learn a number of different moves, from Grass to Bug. So that's one thing cleared.

Maybe Bidoof was bitten my an electric eel and gained it's powers? xD

Back