• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Toxic monkeys and electrified beavers?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Not usually. It just annoys me when some pokemon are blessed with moves that don't make sense, whereas others... let me skip to the example in mind:

Emboar learns Grass Knot and Scald, yet is a physical attacker that never uses these.
    Yet Typhlosion, another fiery mammal starter, a special attacker which would actually benefit from these, does not.

What gives, Gamefreak?
    My guess is, they don't want to make all pokémon very strong or good competitively. If all pokémon were able to learn perfect attacks, they would all know those and no others. Without super-great attacks, one is forced to build different movesets to sneak around the lack of pure strength... maybe, haha.

Yea... makes no sense sometimes
    I think that is pretty obvious, yes. If you want to post in a thread like this, I think you should try to contribute a little more ;)

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
    Years
  • *cough* chansey leanrs flamethrower *cough* nuff said. how can a medic pokemn gain the abillity to breath fire. Yes I know dat normals are versatile but stilll.......but screw moves. some pokemon evos are strange. what still gets me to this day is remoraid-octillery. speakin of which how can most waters learn ice moves anyway? They must have super cold stomachs are something

Magic Magikarp

Magikarp is terrifying
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2013
    [FONT=&quot]
    Thats how Dodrio flies[/FONT], we can all die in peace.
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I can get that Pidgey is a bird and all but how does it even support trainers on its back? The poor thing would get crushed. Then there's a variety of other Pokemon that can learn all sorts of moves. Rattata can Thunderbolt for one. Is Joey's statement about top percentage Rattata really true? I mean how does a rat even do such a feat, if someone could explain in depth with logic then I might be convinced. But regardless it doesn't make sense. How does Chansey poison when all its meant to do is heal? How do Granbulls get presents, why can Durant produce stones out of nowhere? How does a computer-made duck defy gravity? How does a Slaking shoot Hyper Beams out of its foot?

There are many moves that don't make sense in the Pokemon series. As for why they implemented this, it might of possibly been to give certain Pokemon the chance to shine. It could possibly also help with the competitive metagame where Toxic, Stealth Rock and various other useless in-game moves run wild. The overall vibe I get from this though is the fact that it was implemented just for the sake of imagination. If it was all logic then it wouldn't be fun! Sure the game would be a bit harder but Pokemon is a creative series meant to let imaginations run wild. Just seeing ghosts throw blobby shadows isn't enough entertainment nowadays.

Back