• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trade Evolutions: The first four

Years
    I remember back in the early RBY days, I had nobody to trade with, so I always ended up with just a Graveler or Kadabra and they could never reach their final stage, which was really frustrating to me. Then Stadium came out which allowed me to trade between cartridges, so I liked them a lot better after that. And now there's wifi so it's not really a problem.

My favourite by far is the Gengar line. I find it very powerful, and I really like the designs too. None of the other appeal to me too much, though I'll admit I got a lot of use out of Kadabra/Alakazam back in the day and occassionally used Graveler/Golem. My least favourite line is Machamp. I've just never cared much for fighting types or their designs in general.

Years
    Well Golem is my favourite pokemon and it annoys me that I have to trade just so I can get him and I don't have anyone to trade with. I also like Machoke as well but don't like Machamp. I never associate any of these with each other as I usually go by anime logic, where you can find wild final evolved forms. I think its stupid that in the wild, some pokemon would have to be caught and traded just so it can evolve in the games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2011
    I had all four at level 100 before my games battery died in silver but my favorite was Alakazam.

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Alakazam >>>> Gengar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Machamp > Golem

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    Hmmm...I'd probably say my favourite was Golem. I use him so much in so many of my teams, he was in my Diamond team, I had a Graveler in my first time playing Rijon Adventures, a Geodude in my current playthrough, and I had him in many of my Sapphire teams too. My least favourite, however, would have to be Gengar. I don't know, I just don't like it so much, it's creepy smile and I have some bad memories of it in competitive play. So yeah, or me it would be Golem > Alakazam > Machamp > Gengar.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    I think Golem is by far the coolest of them all, but, there are better pokémon with his typing, so I tend not to use him.

I really can't choose between the other 3. When battling on Shoddy, my gengar pwnd 'Mons left and right all day. For usefullness ingame, I like Machamp better though.

Ice Queen

I Love May
    Years
    My favorite is Golem because of his design not because of his low special defence and typing. I dont have a least fav though.

Do you like having to trade these Pokemon to reach their last stage or would you prefer another way? Yes Yes oh Yes. On Emerald i had a lvl 65 Graveller and i couldnt evolve it. :( if i could trade Graveller i would had have Golem on all my teams.

Also i think there should be a poll with this thread.

Last edited:

TheMightyMrPlow

Pokemon N00B!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    Machamp is a beast beyond compare! Lifts boulders to kill time.

And I don't like having to trade because I run an emulator. I would prefer like heavy training to reach a requirement or something. Like kill 50 of this and 30 of that.

Years
    First of all, I've always disliked Pokemon which need to be traded in order to achieve evolution. XD;;

Out of these four, I think I like the Abra and Gastly family more or less equally. The primary reason being I like Ghost and Physic type Pokemon, something which isn't really confirmed to be a part of the real world. And I've used Gengar and Alakazam a lot during the Battle Frontier battles and they are quite the match winning Pokemon. I don't think I ever got the chance of raising either of them in a legit way because of the evolution method though. XD

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
    My favorite is the Geodude line due to using them in game for Strength, Dig, Rock Climb, Rock Smash, Earthquake, Rock Slide. And Golem looks like a soccer ball. Good HM Slave with battle skills. I even taught Golem Fire Punch.

Least favorite is the Abra line but only from Gen 4 and 5. Ever since the element punches became physical, I stopped caring for Alakazam. Kadabra is still cool. Spooooooooon...

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
    I think my favourite is Golem,and my least favourite is Gengar.
    I like Golem because i think it looks very good,and dislike Gengar for opposite reason.
    Alakazam is meh for me, but i used Machamp and it was pretty good to play with.

Omn

Moogle King
    Years
    Mine would have to be kadabra cause i discovered that he could take most of the elite four in gen 2 own his because of one move set

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
    Years
    I'd go with Gengar. I've always liked Gengar, just because. The original ghosts ftw, I guess? XD It's also great in battle, so I can't complain there either (and it's purple).

I've personally never had a problem with the whole trading thing, but that's because I grew up on Pokemon with a neighborhood friend. I went to his house like every day and we'd always play Pokemon, so obviously, there's no problem there with having to trade with someone. But I can agree that it was a little mean to force you to have to trade them to evolve them.

Back