• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Trade Logic

Years
    So this is a question about trades in Pokémon X and Y. It is not a request for a trade which is is why I posted here and not the Trade forum. If I am incorrect to do so, I apologize.

So I have recently fired up X and Y for the first time ever and I'm three badges in. I'm a little confused about how trades work in the Trade Search. On Y, I captured a Minun and a Google search told me that Plusle is not available in this version. To me, this means that Trading Plusle and Minun is what makes sense for both versions to complete their respective Pokedexes. While doing a search for Plusle, everyone willing to trade theirs are looking for, what I would assume, Pokémon of unequal value.

For example, I saw people willing to trade their Plusle for Arceus, or Mewtwo, or the trio from Gen 4. But I never saw anyone willing to do a simple Plusle for Minun trade. To me, that makes more sense. My Minun only took about ten minutes of searching to get so it can't be that rare where only the bigger name Pokémon are worth trading for. I put my Minun up with Plusle as my request and the trade worked and I got my Plusle.
    Was I wrong to do this though? Could I have actually received an Arceus for an itty bitty Minun? And what is the logic behind these requests?

Please remember, this is my first time playing Gen 6 so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I suppose it's possible that you could've gotten an Arceus or somesuch for the Minun, but it's kind of unlikely. I also wouldn't say that you were wrong to request a trade for a Plusle in exchange for a Minun either.....it's kind of annoying to be looking for something basic on the GTS and being met with only unreasonable requests really.

Years
    GTS is notorious for being filled with unreasonable trade requests, it's been like this pretty much since GTS started back in Gen 4. You weren't wrong for trading your Minun for a Plusle, I trade for version exclusives and pokemon of similar value all the time. If you requested an Arceus or Mewtwo for a Minun I doubt anyone would take that trade and that's the reason GTS is filled with those types of requests. Fair trades are usually done very quickly and you are left with those unfair ones sitting in the GTS forever. My advice is that you leave a Pokemon in the GTS and ask for the one of equal value and someone will trade it to you very quickly (in my experience the trades are done in less than 10 minutes in Gen 7, might take a little longer in X/Y since they are older games and less people play them).
    Searching for a Pokemon on the GTS is usually hard and takes a lot of time because you have to get through all of those unfair trades just to find maybe one fair offer so it's almost always better to just leave an offer on the GTS yourself and someone will take it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    I just recently came back to pokemon since trading in my 3ds two years ago but I can say from experience when gts was first released to see trades like that often mean there's a transaction happening off screen somewhere. Either someone is buying the more valuable pokemon and the terms of their trade require them listing the plusle in exchange for it (very common) or they could even be trading with themselves between games on one system. It's rarely ever someone literally requesting something like an arceus for a plusle.

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    I think sometimes people just put stuff on the GTS hoping someone generous will come along and give them a rare pokemon. Streamers will also sometimes use the GTS for giveaways and tell you to put up something that's not likely to traded normally.

Actual reasonable trades happen on the GTS fairly quickly, which is why you don't see them very often and its usually better to just put up a reasonable trade than go looking for one.

Back