• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trainer at a SeaWorld Park killed

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    A tragic death occurred today at the famous marine park SeaWorld Orlando when a killer whale caused one of it's experienced trainers to drown.

CNN said:
    -- A killer whale killed a trainer Wednesday afternoon at SeaWorld's Shamu Stadium in Orlando, Florida, a public information officer for the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.
    The woman, 40, was in the whale holding area about 2 p.m. when "she apparently slipped or fell into the tank and was fatally injured by one of the whales," Jim Solomons said.
    But a witness told CNN affiliate WKMG-TV that the whale approached the glass side of the 35-foot-deep tank at Shamu Stadium, jumped up and grabbed the trainer by the waist, shaking her so violently that her shoe came off.
    A SeaWorld employee who asked not to be identified confirmed the description of the attack and added that the whale involved is named Tillikum.
    SeaWorld uses "Shamu" as a stage name for any of the male or female orcas in its shows.
    "One of our most experienced animal trainers drowned" in the accident, said Dan Brown, vice president and general manager of SeaWorld Orlando. He said an investigation will be carried out.
    "We'll make our findings known in due course," he said. "We've never in the history of our parks experienced an incident like this. All standard operating procedures will be reviewed." He would not elaborate.
    "Please bear with us; we've just lost a member of our family," he said.
    A patron who did not witness the event said the park refunded her entry fee, although a spokeswoman said the park remained open.
    Guest David Dalton told CNN affiliate WFTV, "All of a sudden, out of nowhere, two of the bigger whales just kind of flipped out, going as fast as they could in the water."
    A spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called the death "a tragedy that didn't have to happen."
    Jaime Zalac said the organization had called on SeaWorld "to stop confining oceangoing mammals to an area that to them is like the size of a bathtub, and we have also been asking the park to stop forcing the animals to perform silly tricks over and over again. It's not surprising when these huge, smart animals lash out."
    In 2006, a trainer at the adventure park was hospitalized after a killer whale grabbed him and twice held him underwater during a show at Shamu Stadium.
    In 1999, Tillikum was blamed for the death of a 27-year-old man whose body was found floating on his back in a tank at SeaWorld, the apparent victim of a whale's "horseplay," authorities said then.
    The Orange County Sheriff's Office said the man apparently hid in the park until after it closed and then climbed into the tank.
    The 11,000-pound, 22-foot-long whale was "not accustomed to people being in his tank" and "wouldn't have realized he was dealing with a very fragile human being," Solomons said at the time.
    "He may have been a victim of what a whale would call horseplay, just playing around," Solomons said.
    Full Article Here

How do you think this case will end up playing out?
    Will Tillikum be released into the wild, kept at the park, or unfortunately put down?

Thoughts?

Years
    Even though I love animals, I would hope he would be put down. He had already caused two deaths, another would be a horrible and avoidable event. Or, they could release him into the wild. Either way, I think this Tillikum is making horseplay with humans dangerous, and he shouldnt be near humans, even professional trainers, anymore. Imagine if that was just a random bystander. Bad stuff.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    When you work with animals, you're always taking risks. I'm sure she knew that going in; it goes with the work. The whale isn't really at fault, it's just a dumb beast. What really should happen is that there should be better safeguards against something like this, but I'm sure the people in charge won't even bother thinking about that; it's cheaper just to put out a few nice words and continue making money.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    I agree with what Lady Gaga said The member, not the real person. : O XD Tillikum should be released into the wild. He caused a few deaths already, it's just way to risky to keep him.

My condolences to the women and may her family pass through this hard time.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Take him to Iceland, the other famous killer whale ... killer went there, Tillikum should follow. He's become grumpy and I think he's served his purpose for the park long enough. (he was a ... baby producer, not usually a performer) While the other two deaths weren't really his fault, either ('91 trainer slipped in other one and was ganged up on, and the '99 accident was an after hours guy that wanted to ride, iirc), it's time he left. There's no chance he stays at that park.

Anyway, of course PETA is going to have a field day with this. =/ I love Sea World, they're a classy organization and do so much for the wild, I'd hate to see this accident damage their standing even further.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I really hope he is released as well, although it may be difficult for him to survive as he has been in captivity for so long. I've heard that it's quite difficult for an animal that's been in captivity for so long to be able to survive in the wild, I dunno about Tillikum, though. But like Beachy said, it's going to be difficult to keep PETA from interfering and doing something rash :/

Ayselipera

I had the same thoughts as Lady Gaga and Bloodex. They should just release Tillikum. I feel like whales/dolphins shouldn't be kept in like that. I'm sure they're well taken care of an all, but they seem like the kind of animals that need to be free, out in the ocean. It's a huge marine mammal not a dog.

.Fenris

Just a bystander, don't shoot!
    Years
    I really hope he is released as well, although it may be difficult for him to survive as he has been in captivity for so long. I've heard that it's quite difficult for an animal that's been in captivity for so long to be able to survive in the wild, I dunno about Tillikum, though. But like Beachy said, it's going to be difficult to keep PETA from interfering and doing something rash :/

I say release him, then throw the PETA people in there with him and tell him it's his last free meal, as much as I love animals, the PETA are people that talk a lot about how others are dealing with a metaphorical time bomb, yet they can't even deal with a pomerian without euthanizing it.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    If anything, I hope they release the poor thing. I wonder if it will have a hard time surviving out there, though. It's been in captivity for a long time. I really hope that they don't put it down, though, but there may be no other choice. Shame that the animal had no choice, really.

Of course, it's a terrible tragedy and I feel for the family. But I just believe that it's not that animal's fault. Everyone will just put the blame on the killer whale for being violent and dumb. It's just doing what's natural, I guess you could say. It's not like you can train every animal. Killer whales will be killer whales. And besides, it probably isn't the happiest being stuck in a tank performing for loud people.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    Well I just walked in to my parent's room and there was a CNN Special Report on about the incident. Unfortunately, it looks like Sea World is going to keep Tillikum in the park for breeding purposes only. As more killer whales are dying then being born, they said it's really Sea World's only hope.

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
    So sad to see this happen but I didn't know he killed someone before. I say releasing him would be better than putting him down, but that's just my opinion, I don't like to see animals be killed =[

Years
    It's a shame someone died, but it is dangerous working with large carnivores like whales.

I imagine a whale not used to being in the wild would have a hard time surviving or be an easy target for whalers, but I don't really know. If either is the case I think he should stay in captivity where it's safe (for him) and kept away from people. Otherwise let him go.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Well I just walked in to my parent's room and there was a CNN Special Report on about the incident. Unfortunately, it looks like Sea World is going to keep Tillikum in the park for breeding purposes only. As more killer whales are dying then being born, they said it's really Sea World's only hope.
    Person kills a person, he gets 60 to life or death. Whale kills a person, he gets to have sex all day.

Does anybody see a problem here? :/

EDIT: Since apparently some people didn't understand, this was meant as a joke. We now return to your regularly scheduled thread.

Last edited:

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    Personally i found it funny the way they evacuated the entire park because of the incident (which, don't get me wrong, was tragic, kill the whale! Why should a WHALE get better treatment than a human for doing the same act), its not as if the whale is going to hop on the ground and chase everyone is it?

.Fenris said:
    I say release him, then throw the PETA people in there with him and tell him it's his last free meal, as much as I love animals, the PETA are people that talk a lot about how others are dealing with a metaphorical time bomb, yet they can't even deal with a pomerian without euthanizing it.

I like this post.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    I can already see people naming their Kyogre's Tillikum.

It's a shame someone died, but it is dangerous working with large carnivores like whales.

I imagine a whale not used to being in the wild would have a hard time surviving or be an easy target for whalers, but I don't really know. If either is the case I think he should stay in captivity where it's safe (for him) and kept away from people. Otherwise let him go.

Im thinking the stress of being forced to do the same things over and over has built up enough frustration beyond Tillikum's breaking point

Last edited:

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
    Trainer at a SeaWorld Park killed

They keep him in that teacup.

Something that has the whole freaking ocean, is being kept in that teacup.

I'd kill someone too.

Whales shouldn't be kept in captivity like that.

Not saying that the trainer deserved to die. Definitely not saying that. I'm just hoping that this raises awareness that whales are really big, dangerous predators, not adorable little puppies.

I can't really talk about subjects like this without exploding at the narrow-mindedness of my peers. So uh, yeah. Byebye.

Last edited:

emoBill™

† мазохист †
    Years
    Okay, first of all that article is completely freaking wrong.

As of right now I live in Florida and I'm only 45 minutes away from Sea World. We have people here who have seen the attack. Basically the trainer was feeding Tillikum when her ponytail slapped the side of his face. There's two speculations on what happened: either he got thought it was a toy and went after it, or he thought it was more food. After all, the trainers supposedly [according to my classmates who have been to Sea World and seen the shows] smack the sides of the orcas' mouths to tell them that it's feeding time and that they have food. So if she smacked the side of his mouth with her ponytail when she turned around...

It's not Tillikum's fault and it sucks that they think it is. He was only acting on instinct and it's not like he intentionally wanted to murder someone. If they put him down, I am going to be well beyond angry. And I totally agree with the above post (La Foudre). He should not have to be kept in that teacup. But they can't let him out into the ocean now because he doesn't know how to catch his own food.

;___;

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Hopefully the whale is kept in the park out of the public's sight.

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
    Tillikum should be released into the wild in my opinion.
    These types of animals aren't supposed to be kept in such small areas anyway.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    Aww, this is just so horrible. I saw it in the paper earlier, and I just think it's sad.

The whole thing's sad. Why do we have to imprison these beautiful animals in parks in the first place? To gawp at them every day? Even if they released Tilly into the wild, would he be able to cope?
    /ttlyrelevantsomehow

Back