• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trainer classes

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The thread about wanting to be Team Rocket or not got me thinking. There are a lot of different NPC trainer classes in the games, and I'm sure we all have our favorites. In the anime and other media, there are different kinds of trainers as well, often downright stated to be a certain kind, such as with bug catchers or ninjas.

What is the best/coolest/most interesting NPC trainer class according to you?

If you could choose to play through the game as a specific trainer class, what class/classes would you like to try, and why?

What trainer class do you think suits you the best, really?

Is there a trainer class that you would want to exist, but hasn't appeared yet?

There is a helpful list of the existing trainer classes here in case you don't know from the top of your head.​

tnfsf11

I wish I could be NONE of them, because they're all weaklings & I kick their *** >:)
    I wish there was a trainer class called "Maid", because imagine one of the gyms being a big palace owned by the gym leader & you have to battle his/her maids before reaching her ;) that would be awesome...

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I think the coolest class is the dragon tamers, there are so few of them in game, but I like to verse them. I'd also like to play the dragon tamer role, I've never tried to raise a full dragon team in-game...
    The Jogger class suits me well, I love to go on morning jogs!
    One class I'm eager to see is 'Firefighter' as it is my future ambition. Water and Fire type Pokemon in their arsenal.

Miau

If I fits...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2022
    Strongest classes I think would be Veterans and Ace Trainers, they have the strongest Pokemon and I think better AI too. Among my favorites though, would have to be the sports based trainers from Gen 5, the guys and girls from the sports courts in Nimbasa. For the same reason, I also liked the Triathletes from Emerald. I thought the idea of having Pokemon in sports was really interesting, though I was disappointed that it wasn't explored any further - I really would've preferred a sports competition for Pokemon rather than the Musical or movies, but that's off topic.

As for me, I think I'd be a Backpacker, exploring the entire region. A girl can dream, right? Though if I were to chose something more specialized, I'd go for Fisher(wo)man, since the Water type is my favorite.

And something I'd like to see in the future are circus based Pokemon trainers. We already have the Clowns, but I'm thinking Tightrope Walker, Contortionist, Illusionist etc. Yeah, so basically a Pokemon circus.

I wish there was a trainer class called "Maid", because imagine one of the gyms being a big palace owned by the gym leader & you have to battle his/her maids before reaching her ;) that would be awesome...

There's already the Maid class, and there is a challenge like that in Platinum, though it's not a Gym challenge.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • And something I'd like to see in the future are circus based Pokemon trainers. We already have the Clowns, but I'm thinking Tightrope Walker, Contortionist, Illusionist etc. Yeah, so basically a Pokemon circus.

We have Jugglers and Fire breathers as well. ;)
    A Pokemon Circus does sound good though.

Other classes I'd like to see implemented include: Vigilante (similar to Police Officer but stronger, battles only at night), Clerk (PokeMart battles anyone?) and Marksman (I haven't noticed any soldiers in the Pokemon world?)

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I've always had a taken to the Ace Trainer (Cooltrainer in LG/FR, iirc) class. They always have the coolest get-up and usually have higher-leveled Pokemon. In Leaf Green and Fire Red, those higher levels along with the VS. Seeker were opportune for grinding. I loved rebattling the duo at the end of Victory Road. Their Nido combo at the high level(s) right before the Elite Four was so great for getting a boost in a few levels, even if it was a Double Battle and the experience was generally split pretty awkwardly.

I would be an Ace Trainer in the Pokemon world. 8)

Years
  • I would like to be a cool trainer (gen III) because them (and the ace trainers) are the only olayers with any decent AI or decent Pokemon with proper movesets and tactics. I like versing them so if i HAD to choose to join a class it would be them.

Years
  • I always adore Cooltrainers in the games because they have strong pokes and they have full party with unique types. Other than that I would want an Elite Trainer categorie in the games too.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • What is the best/coolest/most interesting NPC trainer class according to you?​

I've always like the 'Private Eye' sprite from the fourth generation. He always looks so smug when the fighting starts. It's for that same reason that I like the 'Gentleman' class.

Trainer classes
    Trainer classes

If you could choose to play through the game as a specific trainer class, what class/classes would you like to try, and why?​

I would probably choose the 'Ruin Maniac' sprite. I love trekking through ruins and caves in the Pokémon games, and I've always had a bit of a love affair for the Pokémon that the Ruin Maniac is usually associated with; those with a lot of historical ties like the fossils.

Alternatively, I like the female 'Ace Trainer (snow)' from the fourth generation. The male version is alright, but I definitely prefer the female one. The outfit looks so snuggly and warm. c:

Trainer classes
    Trainer classes

What trainer class do you think suits you the best, really?​

The 'Backpacker' class, definitely. Practical, experienced and just a tiny bit useless.

Trainer classes
    Trainer classes

Paulthagerous

Master of the Dragonites
    Years
  • What is the best/coolest/most interesting NPC trainer class according to you?
    I really like the Policemen, don't see them often but it is cool they will fight you at night only.

If you could choose to play through the game as a specific trainer class, what class/classes would you like to try, and why?
    Policeman, might give me special perks.

What trainer class do you think suits you the best, really?
    Pokenerd, sums me up nicely

Is there a trainer class that you would want to exist, but hasn't appeared yet?
    A battle against the local Nurse Joy would be cool :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2020
    I adore Ace Trainers. Especially when they go "I'll whip you, noob!" and then you defeat them and they're all like "um..."

tnfsf11

I would have said Cool Trainers, but they're actually noobish weaklings who I defeat without breaking a single sweat.
    I would, however, happily be a Gym Leader or a Scientist ;)

Back