• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Trainers are using random items?

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I recently expanded the amount of trainers in game (as my game used up every possible slot) however the new trainers I have added (any in the expanded numbers such as 2E7) are using random items in battle. The trainers and scripts work fine however in battle they will not use any of the items I assign to them and instead use completely random items.

I have had trainers use black belts and soul dews mid battle and can't get them to use the items I assign to them. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Are you using A-Trainer? This post from yesterday mentions how unstable A-Trainer is, especially if you repoint the trainer table, and how trainers will use random items, similar to your case.

So I believe your easiest option would be to go back to the last backup before you repointed the trainers and use a different trainer editor instead.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    The deal with A-Trainer's trainer table repointing, from what I've heard, is just that it doesn't fix a specific obscure pointer to x10 bytes after the trainer table, which is used to get at the items trainers carry. It's pretty easy to fix that yourself with a hex editor.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    The deal with A-Trainer's trainer table repointing, from what I've heard, is just that it doesn't fix a specific obscure pointer to x10 bytes after the trainer table, which is used to get at the items trainers carry. It's pretty easy to fix that yourself with a hex editor.

So if I am understanding correctly there is a x10 byte at the end of the table that allows you to control what items trainers use however it doesn't replicate this x10 byte when you repoint?

Could you give further instructions on how to do this I don't really know much about hex editing.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    It's a pointer to x10 bytes after the *start* of the trainer table, my bad. Specifically, it points to the first item half-word of the first trainer of the old table. If you don't want to hex edit then just do what Christos said and pray that the other trainer editors are up to par with their built-in expansion functions, but you should be able to find it for your ROM by searching for a pointer to the old table + 0x10. Might be a different offset if it's not an English ROM though.

Back