• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trapinch --> Charizard?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    If you look at this early artwork for Pokemon, you can see a slightly different Pikachu and Charizard, with Charizard itself having a much larger jaw akin to Trapinch:

Trapinch --> Charizard?
    Trapinch --> Charizard?

I've heard that Trapinch was originally intended to be the pre-evolution for Charizard, but was scrapped and not introduced until the third generation, and Charizard was slightly redesigned and became the final Fire starter.

This is a situation similar to the whole "Butterfree/Venomoth" hypothesis, so I was wondering if anyone had an opinion or could find some facts to back it up, such as interviews or the like?

I also know that Torkoal, Tropius, and the Spheal line were the original third-gen starters, so there's been a lot of mixing-and-matching before the games became finalized.

Last edited:

xXI JOE IXx

Where do you find out all this stuff? You might be on to something

Tudj

HeartGold :P
    Years
    Hmmm, they sure look fairly similar, and it seems right they did some maxing to get a precise line of starters, but I couldn't imagine Trapinch being a fire-type, like what could it really do?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Hmmm, they sure look fairly similar, and it seems right they did some maxing to get a precise line of starters, but I couldn't imagine Trapinch being a fire-type, like what could it really do?
    Open that big mouth of his and shoot out blasts of fire? It has has the right coloration, and note Growlithe, for example, isn't exactly on fire but is still a Fire type.

And JOE, I found this out because the third gen starters-thing was observed and pointed out before, and it's possible there was an old interview that mentioned a "big-headed orange Pokemon originally before Charizard" on a Japanese site.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    You're always on to some profound theory, huh Redstar? XD

This one looks like it might be possible, seeing as how Trapinch's fully evolved for mis a dragon-type and Charizard is quite dragonic, possibly meant to be the GenI fire starter before they realized that Charmander was more marketable. :P

However, as is the story with Gyarados, it was probably scrapped because they wanted the dragon-type to be exclusive to the Dragonite family, so other dragonic genI pokemon were re-typed to flying (Charizard, Gyarados, and Aerodactyl).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Yeah, that's probably how it went. Trapinch just isn't "cute" enough for the role, but definitely deserved a second chance and got it in third generation, though became more Bug than Dragon in the process.

If I could just find that old interview, then we might know some more details on that "big-headed orange Pokemon" that didn't make the cut. I was reminded of the whole thing after seeing this art, and made the connection between the two.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    From what I remember of my "tastes" back in the day, I don't think I would have ever chosen Trapinch to start a journey. It's the right color, yes, and it looks like it might could spew some Embers, but if that was the original gen I fire starter, I'm kind of glad they scrapped the idea. Then again, had Trapinch made the cut, no one would have known the difference back then anyway, considering there was only one generation to go by for quite a while. No one would have cared too much for it.

I'd compare it to the other picture you posted so that I could say something else, but the pic isn't showing up. You sure you coded it right?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    From what I remember of my "tastes" back in the day, I don't think I would have ever chosen Trapinch to start a journey. It's the right color, yes, and it looks like it might could spew some Embers, but if that was the original gen I fire starter, I'm kind of glad they scrapped the idea. Then again, had Trapinch made the cut, no one would have known the difference back then anyway, considering there was only one generation to go by for quite a while. No one would have cared too much for it.

I'd compare it to the other picture you posted so that I could say something else, but the pic isn't showing up. You sure you coded it right?
    Well remember that Pokemon were originally more "monster-like", as evidenced by the early sprites and concepts. So monster-and-animal-like Pokemon would fit the theme. But Trapinch probably looked different, like having a tail.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Wow, that concept art makes them really look closely related, and even more evidence is when you look at Vibrava and Flygon; they share no traits with Trapinch whatsoever.

Years
    Actually, I've heard this a few years back. Someone was talking about it, and everyone called him an idiot until he pulled out an interview... It was in Japanese, but a quick trip to Google Translate did turn up something about "Fire starter underwent many changes" and that one stage was "big-headed with buggy eyes". It was just one small section, but it dealt with how much work is gone into designing the Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Actually, I've heard this a few years back. Someone was talking about it, and everyone called him an idiot until he pulled out an interview... It was in Japanese, but a quick trip to Google Translate did turn up something about "Fire starter underwent many changes" and that one stage was "big-headed with buggy eyes". It was just one small section, but it dealt with how much work is gone into designing the Pokemon.
    Really? I was there too, which is where I found out about this... But that thread is long gone and I don't know how to find the interview. Do you know where it is?

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    Wow, that concept art makes them really look closely related, and even more evidence is when you look at Vibrava and Flygon; they share no traits with Trapinch whatsoever.

Then I'm guessing you don't know what he's actually based off of, do you? =P

Trapinch is based off of an antlion (I don't know if it was in gen1, but now it's based off of one) which is a larvae that traps prey in holes that it lives at the center of and it has huge jaws. Later, it turns into a fly-thingy that looks very much like vibrava.

Pokemon evolution isn't all about appearance, the actual concept matters too. That's why I get irked when people critisize remoraid --> octillery or flout about the venomoth/butterfree theory that is completely false.

But, to be on topic, I can believe that trapinch was once going to be the fire starter. Back then they were much more monster like.
    (And I don't care what anyone says, I think trapinch is cute =3 )

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Then I'm guessing you don't know what he's actually based off of, do you? =P

Trapinch is based off of an antlion (I don't know if it was in gen1, but now it's based off of one) which is a larvae that traps prey in holes that it lives at the center of and it has huge jaws. Later, it turns into a fly-thingy that looks very much like vibrava.

Pokemon evolution isn't all about appearance, the actual concept matters too. That's why I get irked when people critisize remoraid --> octillery or flout about the venomoth/butterfree theory that is completely false.
    Trapinch actually doesn't look much like an ant lion, so the possibility it was once intended for a different line is feasible. Slap a tail on it and I could picture it being a first-stage form for Charizard.

(And I don't care what anyone says, I think trapinch is cute =3 )
    Definitely agreed here. haha

Years
    Really? I was there too, which is where I found out about this... But that thread is long gone and I don't know how to find the interview. Do you know where it is?
    No, I don't think I can help. But I can say that the old thread was pretty convincing. Hopefully someone will get something.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I can see some similarities between the two Pokémon and imaging Trapinch to be a pre-evolution of Charizard isn't difficult. .​

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    It makes sense logically, they do look similar and Trapinch does have a winged creature along his evolution line. I'd say it's very plausible.

Also, why did Pinsir not evolve into Heracross? That always confused me.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    Let's see here, Change the eyes to resemble Charizard, strip away some of that carapace, attach a few scales, and slap a tail onto it, and, here, you've got a Pre-evo for Charizard!

I don't think Trapinch is exactly what that "Big headed Bug-eyed" pok
    émon was, but I think it was based off of the concept art, like Gastrodon was changed a bit from it's original concept before being released in generation 4.

Back