• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trash talk and raging

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Do you ever trash talk when playing online, how about raging? Or are you more of a casual gamer that rarely ever gets mad? I honestly feel like a lot of people just vent out their aggression on that poor 11 year old kid when they're playing online. lol

Sir Codin

Video game trash-talking really isn't anything new; it was a personal invention of John Romero.

Unfortunately, it latched on too well and now everyone thinks they're a tough guy while playing a game online. Now everyone feels the need to make an ass of themselves, so in a way, Romero did end up making a lot of people his bitches.

Last edited:
    Years
    I dont really play online so not really but there nothing wrong with it if its just a bit of banter to get the competitive edge and not targeted abuse, everybody does it from athletes to gamers. Though yeah I do think its pretty sad if you're an adult who spends their time trolling kids because its kinda weird and immature imo. There's nothing to brag about beating a 10 year old at.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I don't trash talk. The times that I quit is when I'm checkmated. Otherwise, I don't quit midway or get angry like that. (:

Years
    I'm not a competitive player, so I don't have any reasons to rage. I'm just playing with friends.
    But it's fun to hear someone raging, even though usually I don't understand the language they speak.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    I actually condone talking smack as long as its done in good spirits or at least the commentary or art of literacy is clever and well written, otherwise it should be definitely more than just your usual cuss filled banter with either racial or ethnical slurs or your typical "your mom" kind of talking. Whenever i play online (LEague or whatever) and i see someone already talking smack but with the usual banter, i usually keep silent until i find the right time to lay down my own verbal retribution after outplaying and winning the game against that foulmouth. I feel sad that I somehow lost all the screencaps of the people who i have the fortunate time to play against in League of Legends and are quickly silenced by my own form of verbal punishment after said suspects did their part. The meanest crap i ever said to a trashtalker after winning a rather stompy match was to simply uninstall his own copy of League and old him that he is a waste of time and effort to his parents for being allowed to play online multiplayer with the complete lack of skill and manners. Yeah i get to that point where i start blaming parents. I can be that savage.

Then again, everythin is pretty moot when you can just simply say "?" in all chat after outplaying your opponents.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    No. I think it's stupid and I really don't understand the point of it. Really, I avoid competitive play and online play partially for this reason. I do wish people could be more civil and sportsmanlike. But if I were to play competitively, I probably wouldn't say anything to the person at all, and just play the game silently. Even if they were saying things to me. If it were in text, I'd ignore it. Voice? I'd mute it because it likely isn't a vital part of the game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2017
    Like a few of the posters here, I don't really play games online all that much. When I do, I don't really bag on others either. I guess I've also been fortunate not to get trash-talked myself the few times I played online.

I have gotten a bit ticked off a few times though, mostly when I'm being beaten down hard by an amazing player, but for the most part playing games like Super Meat Boy angers me more, haha. :p

Personally I think it's a bit silly that some people get so aggressive online. I mean, it's just a game.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I play LoL a bit, which probably has one of the worst community reputations as far as toxicity goes, but I have a lot of patience, so I never bash or trash talk. I never really understood why people do it either. If someone is playing poorly, and you're frustrated at them, why try to make them feel like garbage and expect them to play better? Maybe it's just me, but I tend to have a lot more fun when no one is trash talking each other, no matter how badly someone is playing.

Years
    I play fighting games, so it comes with the territory. Generally I don't go out of my way to trash talk or whatever unless it's all in good fun. But people in the online environment are either decent or complete scumbag, and it's hard to get by without someone saying something that just irks me the wrong way. I tend to ignore it cause at the end of the day it's not worth the effort to go bashing someone, and if they start, I can just not feed off into it.

TY

I don't trashtalk, however in rare circumstances I do rage (not like throwing anything or breaking or screaming constantly, just being upset), for example in Destiny when someone is blatantly lagswitching.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    I don't trash talk in online games. The closest I get is the occasional "What the ***?!" or similar when something unfair happens, but even that isn't said over the mic, just to myself.

Depending on the game though, I can be quite chatty, be it tactical information, or admitting to someone "Wow. You're kicking my ***!" (To which I got a "No! I would never I love you too much!" back)

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2016
    I've done my fair share of raging in the past and still do on occasion. Mostly on gears of war, halo, and smite. But I even rage at single player games on occasion when something derpy happens.

Back