• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trayvon Martin, 17, shot and killed by Neighborhood Watchman

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • ^ Now that information I wasn't aware of. Doesn't make Zimmerman look very good now, lol. And on the marijuana subject, I'm aware it's not case related, but mentioning it as well as the suspension information because it was mentioned on the news as well, probably to help Zimmerman and show that Trayvon wasn't all glorified as he's made out to be, but you know, whether he smoked or not doesn't matter to me, and shouldn't matter to anyone else. Like you said, it's not case related. But it's probably just being said to make him look bad. Zimmerman's attorney mentioned that Zimmerman isn't a racist and has a lot of African American friends, but given what you just posted, I'm less inclined to believe it.

But the news is talking about it now, and Zimmerman said he was on his way to his SUV when Trayvon attacked him...it just doesn't add up. It would have been mentioned much earlier. On a lighter note, Trayvon is an honorary citizen of Birmingham, AL. Hm.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Even if he was a marijuana user, it's not really related to this case or reason to be shot to death execution style. Especially when they're a kid, even if they may be on the wrong track at the moment.

If he was indeed a marijuana user, Zimmerman may bring that part up. Zimmerman may say that Trayvon was probably high, or dealing with people, which is why he seemed suspicious. Bringing up the drug part only complicates matters further. If Zimmerman is lying, he will definitely not hesitate to use that to defend himself.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If he was indeed a marijuana user, Zimmerman may bring that part up. Zimmerman may say that Trayvon was probably high, or dealing with people, which is why he seemed suspicious. Bringing up the drug part only complicates matters further. If Zimmerman is lying, he will definitely not hesitate to use that to defend himself.

If he bothers to show up. He's in hiding, has death threats, and no one knows where exactly he is. Though I'm sure he would have security by the time this all happens.

And if he was dealing that night, I'm sure that Zimmerman could have mentioned that already. It's stupid to find out that he had marijuana, then say "OH! The suspicious activity he was doing was drug dealing! Found my excuse!" and har har har get away with what he did.

Whatever the turnout though, whether Trayvon attacked him or not, there's still a dead teenager at hand, and he deserves something for that, because we do know in fact that he did it. It's not like the Casey Anthony trial where everything was covered up and crazy. We do know Trayvon's murderer.

Sorry I'm all over this thread. The news is on right in the next room, and I'm all amped up, lol. :(

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024

If he bothers to show up. He's in hiding, has death threats, and no one knows where exactly he is. Though I'm sure he would have security by the time this all happens.

And if he was dealing that night, I'm sure that Zimmerman could have mentioned that already. It's stupid to find out that he had marijuana, then say "OH! The suspicious activity he was doing was drug dealing! Found my excuse!" and har har har get away with what he did.

Whatever the turnout though, whether Trayvon attacked him or not, there's still a dead teenager at hand, and he deserves something for that, because we do know in fact that he did it. It's not like the Casey Anthony trial where everything was covered up and crazy. We do know Trayvon's murderer.

Sorry I'm all over this thread. The news is on right in the next room, and I'm all amped up, lol. :(

I didn't mean it that way. If a trial is held, people will definitely ask Zimmerman why he found Trayvon a suspicious person. He can feel free to say that he was acting suspiciously, it can be true that he was under the effect of drugs. But then I realized that something would have definitely come up in a postmortem report, so this theory is not quite possible.

And the only reason there hasn't been a trail so far is probably because of the "Self Defense" law. I'm not entirely sure though, I don't know how law works in that place. But that's the only reason that he's actually been let go, I think. One reason why his self defense theory seems to have worked is because he was found bleeding.

I'm just speculating here, but it's possible that Trayvon did beat Zimmerman up. Zimmerman probably threatened him with a gun once Trayvon had overpowered him, then finally shot him.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Your jumping the gun Syd. Zimmerman ISN'T a murderer. Yet.

Killer? Yes. He killed Trayvon, this much we do know. But until we get all the facts about this case we can't say that he murdered him.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Your jumping the gun Syd. Zimmerman ISN'T a murderer. Yet.

Killer? Yes. He killed Trayvon, this much we do know. But until we get all the facts about this case we can't say that he murdered him.

Killer. Scuse me for using the wrong word there.

I didn't mean it that way. If a trial is held, people will definitely ask Zimmerman why he found Trayvon a suspicious person. He can feel free to say that he was acting suspiciously, it can be true that he was under the effect of drugs. But then I realized that something would have definitely come up in a postmortem report, so this theory is not quite possible.

And the only reason there hasn't been a trail so far is probably because of the "Self Defense" law. I'm not entirely sure though, I don't know how law works in that place. But that's the only reason that he's actually been let go, I think. One reason why his self defense theory seems to have worked is because he was found bleeding.

I'm just speculating here, but it's possible that Trayvon did beat Zimmerman up. Zimmerman probably threatened him with a gun once Trayvon had overpowered him, then finally shot him.

I'm not saying it's not possible. I mean, it's likely. I mentioned that Trayvon was on a 10 day suspension from school, though for possession. However he's apparently been suspended before. For what, I'm not sure.

But I mean, if Zimmerman was really following Trayvon around, one might could argue that whatever Trayvon might have done was also in self-defense. And depending on what he did would determine whether or not Zimmerman's "self-defense" was justified or not. From what I understand about that law they have, the only justification for shooting someone dead in self-defense is for a serious assault that would result in felony on its own.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Who said anything about letting the courts handle things?

Your jumping to far. Right now, its still the police's game.

IanDonyer

Time to kick ass? Definitely.
    Years
  • Not to downplay things, but have you seen what the New Black Panthers have done?

They put a 10k bounty on him. Supposedly to 'capture' him but given the NBP's track record, odds are that this 'capture bounty' is really a thinly disguised 'hit contract' are very high.

Odds are higher due to what the Black Panthers leader said about it. You know what that was? "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."

People... are ridiculous sometimes. *headdesk* I wonder on occasion if anyone else was taught the whole "two wrongs don't make a right" adage. They make a left. A left turn straight into a jail cell, or apparently for Zimmerman, a coffin. <_<

I think the guy murdered Treyvon. There's no doubt in my mind on this one. The motives behind it? Hell if I know. Could have been racism, could have been that Zimmerman just woke up that morning saying, "I'm going to shoot somebody today. Heh. HAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAH- ahem. Evil laugh again. Sorry about that."

But he deserves time in the slammer, not a death sentence.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Who said anything about letting the courts handle things?

The only reason this is news is because the media wants to make this into a racial issue when it should be an issue for the courts.

Well that's just stupid. It's not for the police to decide whether he broke the law, it's for the courts to decide. The police are supposed to arrest if there is reasonable suspicion that a crime may have taken place, which there certainly is in this instance.

I was merely saying that I could understand why he might have done it. The implication was that we probably don't know everything that happened, which I was trying to tie to my point that it's something the courts should handle.

Hopefully this answered your question for you!

Although imo he should be arrested, even if he's acquitted for self-defense. But at the same time I understand that often public facts are twisted so the public believes something that may not necessarily be true. I want him to be arrested because he wasn't acting in self-defense, not because public opinion thinks he wasn't acting in self-defense, so a longer investigation is fine by me. This isn't like some criminals where you have to get them off the street as soon as possible; everyone knows who Zimmerman is and he's hiding, not going out gunning more people.

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 22, 2021
    I have to say that, quite frankly, I'm appalled at the reactions everyone seems to have about the case. People are up in arms and instantly going to racism being the issue (which I have to admit, race seems to have something to do with it-- not necessarily racism, but definitely profiling going on to a dangerous degree. Racism =/= racial profiling, though the latter has strong roots in the former.) Secondly, the mere fact that the police have failed to act to do anything about it regardless of the persons involved and regardless of whether someone took a punch or whatever, is ridiculous. Especially since, without even a proper investigation, it is already being forgiven under the "Stand your ground" law. That law is not a panacea to murders/killings/whatever the bloody hell you wish to call taking another's life. And given this little bit of information, it sounds honestly like if Martin even did lay a hand on Zimmerman, it was purely in his own self defense:

https://loop21.com/trayvon-martin-final-phone-call-before-death

Also, for those of you who may've wanted to know what Zimmerman's 911 call history includes, there was a 47 page document with all his calls released by the Sanford police department. I'm not entirely sure what's being said, but if anyone is really interested, here it is:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/327330-george-zimmerrman-911-call-history.html

Not really gonna muddle this up with more opinions, but I would like to point out the fact that everyone instantly jumped on racism being the reason, yet nobody has acknowledged really how much this particular issue has probably been driven by our society and preconceived notions of race and gender that we created for ourselves and continue to pound into our minds through our actions and by our media. To me, that's honestly something that should be focused on more about this whole case as it seems very very key here...

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Trayvon Martin, 17, shot and killed by Neighborhood Watchman

The whole handling of this case is bakas.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Who said anything about letting the courts handle things?

The police should arrest him and let the courts handle it. The first is implied by the second.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    I have to say that, quite frankly, I'm appalled at the reactions everyone seems to have about the case. People are up in arms and instantly going to racism being the issue (which I have to admit, race seems to have something to do with it-- not necessarily racism, but definitely profiling going on to a dangerous degree. Racism =/= racial profiling, though the latter has strong roots in the former.)
    Um... Except it is clearly racism in this case. The killer had a past of reporting false incidents regarding suspicious blacks, the killer described Martin as an "f'ing coon" before confronting him, and the killer even has people believing his story of self-defense and coming up with reasons as to why the victim deserved it (he was a gangster, weed, etc). Racism isn't just the old "I hate black people. White power!" It's an ingrained thought process. It's the belief that some races are inferior. That by default, a person is suspicious or lazy or whatever the crap makes them inferior due to the color of their skin. And that is most likely the reason why Zimmerman decided that Martin was a threat. That because he was black, he was a suspicious character by default. This is further evidenced by Zimmerman's previous 49 calls to 911 to report "suspicious black males" that proved fruitless.

Not really gonna muddle this up with more opinions, but I would like to point out the fact that everyone instantly jumped on racism being the reason, yet nobody has acknowledged really how much this particular issue has probably been driven by our society and preconceived notions of race and gender that we created for ourselves and continue to pound into our minds through our actions and by our media. To me, that's honestly something that should be focused on more about this whole case as it seems very very key here...
    Um... Because it is racism. Yeah, people can assume that if a black person was killed, they had to do *something* to deserve it. Anything at all. As long as we don't explicitly say "because he was black". There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but to assume that this case may have been motivated by racism? No no no. We totally live in a post-racism society now. Stop saying it's racism when it's not.
    People are starting to challenge that notion now. That Trayvon was deemed suspicious and killed BECAUSE he was black. People are debunking reasons such as his hoodie, his false facebook pictures depicting him as a "thug", or even his supposed possession of marijuana as irrelevant to this case. And that's good! People are challenging the preconceived notions of race and gender. That Trayvon wasn't killed because of what his actions. He wasn't even killed for who he was. The only reasonable motivation for his stalking and killing is because of the color of his skin "made him suspicious". And that's the preconceived notion that we need to get rid of; that people of color are dangerous.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • "Finally" is exactly what I'm thinking, Live. Maybe now the media will shut up? lol Truth be told, I'm not watching the news tonight even though now is a vital time to do so.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • Finally, as the media hype for this has drawn out for far too long. I'm glad that justice was done personally, and now the media can get on with their lives.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Wow. "Media will shut up". "Media will move on". Not even "justice will be served"? Just wow.

On the charge of second degree murder, it seems more like first degree murder considering that Zimmerman left his car, despite instructions not to, and brought out his weapon seems a bit premeditated. It'll be much easier and swift to prove the second degree charge though, and he's still looking at life, so yeah, JUSTICE.

Back