• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Trees and Pokémon~

Years
  • Hello Community,

I always wondered about the trees in the pokémon games. Their are some strange tings about it. For instance, almost all the time the trees are perfectly ligned upo (yet sometimes indentented 1/2 spaces) and their are mostly only trees that are similar to eachother in shape, color and size. However, on occasion, such as in three-villages, you see mixed groups of trees, the more natural way.

What do you think. Should trees be all the same in one map, in straight lines, or should the trees be variated, for a more natural, but weird-not-alike-pokemon look and style.

That brings me to this point. I just mapped my first map! (yay) I tried to have a lot of no-structure in the grass-partern and the trees.

Please give your rating, opinion and advice (And answer the question from above.)

Me™

Years
  • But here are somethings that are overlooked here: The viewable range of a typical Pokémon game is very small and the tileset is limited to 2 types of trees (Medium size and Regular size.). I agree to some extent that trees should be varied, but not to a point where they are varied even where they are not viewable and to a point where there are many different types of trees.

Oh, and Me, that map has a lot of errors that are visible in gameplay. You might want to fix them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2007
    I agree that Pokémon is sort of lacking proper variety in... well most things. Especially trees though. Even though I love that map, it just loses its Pokémonish flair in my opinion.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
  • I think its good to use more than one type of tree, but you have to use them to where it looks good. I usually don't use more than 2, because it starts looking to crowded, like the map in the first post.

Years
  • Well , I always said forest in pokemon don't look like forest. It is 'not' crowded, like it should. Crowed with life, nature, randomness. Oh, and Don Patch, I already updated that map a while ago, but from what I see, I only see 3 mapping errors, not enormous much no?

And apart from that, I increased the reolution +/- +50% relative, so 150% from the pokemon gamboy games, so you can see more, making it more difficult to fill maps with eye candy's.

Me™

Years
  • What I ment there is that there are inconsistancies with the bottoms of your trees (The regular ones.). I have not seen the updated map though.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    While I do like maps that aren't all perfect as such, the mixture of trees is sometimes off putting, and your example seems cluttered and messy.

I believe it looks better if you have one dominant species in the area, and then you have a second or even third species scattered within the map, and not have them all bunched up as you have done with the thin trees in the centre of the map - it kinda breaks up the flow.

Plus, you should be vary of them ledges that are facing the tress at the top of the map ... since that means you can jump into trees ^^;

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • You're actually the first person I've seen make this work.

Seriously.

I've seen this attempted where it looks awful. Hence why I promote the conventional Pokémon mapping techniques in my work. But this actually pulled it off nicely - creates a more naturalistic world. Congratulations, because you've done something very difficult.

Years
  • @Ray Z. I don't know if they have forest at your place, but the same species of plants and trees usually clutter like that, with their own kind at an place. That way they have the highest change of living, as the change that they get erm.. how do you call that... pregnent XP ? is much bigger. The big trees however, you will never find in large groups next to eachother, and when you do, there has to be more space.

Off course that is the perfecte nature... And I don't get our jump into trees? I mean, you can perfectly walk behing the tops of the trees, at least that is how I made it.

@Don Patch, apart from that not being an error at all, except for the ones at the middle right and the right bottom corner, I can see what you meant. The first row of trees has no real 'shadow' there while the second and tirth and... has. Ill see what looks better.

How ever, you both have a point. The map is not perfect at all, but I never intend to make it perfect. It was more or less a test map, my first pokémon map, made in a small 20 minuts. I wanted really to have more variation in the trees because, while this may look cluttered when you look at it in the editor (not in-game), I really think it is much much better then the regular mapping in pokémon games. Straighjt lines of trees. Only one species per map (meaning sometimes you go to the next map, your forest completly changed form type -_-. And.. yeah..

And Fangking Omega, thank you very much. But Like I said, I can do better, and I will. It is not that I think I am the only one that tried, but I do think there are not many who did.

Me™

~Azura

Alright, purple is good.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    IMO, the variation of the trees is something new and nice. Your map however, still needs some adjustment on that issue. The thin trees in the middle looks like if they were just 'pasted' there. I think if one wants to make varied trees, it would be necessary to make small 'transition trees' from a larger one to a smaller one, for example.

@Ray Z. I don't know if they have forest at your place, but the same species of plants and trees usually clutter like that, with their own kind at an place. That way they have the highest change of living, as the change that they get erm.. how do you call that... pregnent XP ? is much bigger. The big trees however, you will never find in large groups next to eachother, and when you do, there has to be more space.

So your game is like a... biology class?

~Azura.

Back