• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tri-Types in Gen VI?

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
  • I've gotta be the only one in this thread that thinks this is a good idea? ....fine.

Now I know it'd be unbalanced and too 'complex' to learn the new weaknesses of the different types, but that's what we said about dual-typing when that came out.

Everyone was all crazed about that too.

The immunities? I don't really see that changing as long as Gamefreak can test all the different possibilities. Besides, it's not like EVERY pokemon is going to be a tri-type in Gen. 6. (if there are any to begin with)

Personally, I think it's a fantastic idea. It would bring a new challenging factor to the Pokemon franchise, introduce different weaknesses and hence, different solutions to said weaknesses, and it would just overall be a great idea.

It's not bad to say that we need new types for Pokemon come this time. Ever since Gen. 2, there have been ZERO changes to the typing. Some weaknesses have changed, yes, but the typing itself has remained neutral.

I personally believe that it deserves a change.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
    Years
  • That's a horrible thing to do. It ruins the unique concept of a Pokemon with their dual typing, such as Magneton.

If it was Steel/Electric/Psychic, it's removes the Psychic, Ghost, and Dark resistances. And Psychic doesn't fit much with Magneton.

Or Garchomp. Having an extra Flying type just makes the Ice Typing worse and it loses the Rock resistance. It's unnecessary.

Tri-types are very confusing and complicating to deal with. No one is ready for it and some will never adjust to it. Dual Types are unique and we got used to it. But Feraligatr should be a Water/Dragon type.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Nope. For one, I can't really think of any Pokemon at the moment that would benefit from an additional type. As well as this, if any Pokemon were to have the misfortune of having a x8 weakness, that would just cripple it defensively, putting it at a severe disadvantage on the battlefield. The ideas of complicated offenses/weakness doesn't hold as much water with me - it's not THAT hard to work out if there's a conflict... but the idea just doesn't seem to have that much positive stuff behind it, apart from being shiny and new.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2018
    People keep saying that it would be confusing and complicated, but nobody is showing that. I don't see why it would be so hard, it's just adding one extra type, it's not like it's replacing the entire type chart with a new and ridiculously complex system. It's a small step up from dual types.

Ptzery said:
    Tri types: Makes the game too complicated, imagine a Ground/Flying/Steel type. That's 3 immunities. And if you saw a Grass/Fire/Water type... that would look wrong.
    Imagine a Dark/Ghost type, it has three immunities and no weaknesses. Obviously, this means that double-typing is a terrible idea: Except that it doesn't; Sableye and Spiritomb are both Dark/Ghost, and they're not monstrously OP because of their typing. A hypothetical Ground/Flying/Steel type would still have three weaknesses, so what's the relevance of it? And again with that second point; first, they're not required to create a Pokemon of every single type combination ever, and second, that's only a design thing. I think it would be interesting to see how GF handled a Grass/Fire/Water type.

PiemanFiddy said:
    Now I know it'd be unbalanced and too 'complex' to learn the new weaknesses of the different types, but that's what we said about dual-typing when that came out.

Everyone was all crazed about that too.
    I agree with pretty much your entire post except this, since dual-types were introduced from the beginning, I don't think that there was much craze about it, since there's no perceived change there. :P

Mr Cat Dog said:
    As well as this, if any Pokemon were to have the misfortune of having a x8 weakness, that would just cripple it defensively, putting it at a severe disadvantage on the battlefield.
    The same could be said of any Pokemon with 4x weaknesses. Honestly, I doubt there'd be all that many Pokemon with 8x weaknesses were triple-types to be included, and it's balanced out by some Pokemon also being able to have 8x resistances.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    The complexity comes in (imo) when you consider making an attack. For myself I barely remember the Type chart as it is. So to have to be able to quickly calculate the resistances/effectiveness of an attack would be more work than necessary. A water attack versus a Grass/Ground/Rock pokemon. I have to sit there and think about whether that'd be more effective than an ice attack. It's not so much complex making it impossible, but for the players out there, especially people just getting into the game, it adds another degree of unnecessary calculation.

Not to mention the competitive battle scene turned on its head. Pokemon roaming around with x8 weaknesses and 3 STAB attacks could throw the whole game out of balance.

Last edited:
    Back