• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Triospecies Challenge - 3rd Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010

Ho ho! Lombre eh?
    Cool, your added.

I meant ludicolo my bad >.> not lombre whatever though.

Heres an update though:

Current team:
    Lombre:
    Level 16 Modest Nature
    -Nature Power
    -Absorb
    -Astonish
    -Bullet Seed

Whismur
    Level 14 Careful nature
    -Pound
    -Uproar
    -Astonish
    -Howl

Mudkip
    Level 9 Jolly Nature
    -Tackle
    -Growl
    -Mudslap

Nincada
    Level 6
    -Cut
    -Scratch

Darn need more posts to put up the sprites

Started up named "Owner?!" picked up mudkip for starter and moved out to oldale and back. After finishing up intro stuff caught a lotad (level 3) at route 102 and promptly leveled it up to 7 via switching with my mudkip before fully using it. Traveled through rustboro, met dad, continued through route 104 and petalburg woods battling trainers as I went. Some particularly annoying battles were lotad vs. seedot.

Got to rustboro and trained my lotad to 14 where it evolved into a lombre. Also picked up bullet seed on the way. Caught a whismur and took on the gym with lombre and whismur leeching off double battles and the gym leader. Beat Roxanne and retrieved Devon Goods to get a Pokenav, now heading south to battle rival and to the 2nd gym as well as a fresh makuhita to train.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I meant ludicolo my bad >.> not lombre whatever though.

Heres an update though:

Current team:
    Lombre:
    Level 16 Modest Nature
    -Nature Power
    -Absorb
    -Astonish
    -Bullet Seed

Whismur
    Level 14 Careful nature
    -Pound
    -Uproar
    -Astonish
    -Howl

Mudkip
    Level 9 Jolly Nature
    -Tackle
    -Growl
    -Mudslap

Nincada
    Level 6
    -Cut
    -Scratch

Darn need more posts to put up the sprites

Started up named "Owner?!" picked up mudkip for starter and moved out to oldale and back. After finishing up intro stuff caught a lotad (level 3) at route 102 and promptly leveled it up to 7 via switching with my mudkip before fully using it. Traveled through rustboro, met dad, continued through route 104 and petalburg woods battling trainers as I went. Some particularly annoying battles were lotad vs. seedot.

Got to rustboro and trained my lotad to 14 where it evolved into a lombre. Also picked up bullet seed on the way. Caught a whismur and took on the gym with lombre and whismur leeching off double battles and the gym leader. Beat Roxanne and retrieved Devon Goods to get a Pokenav, now heading south to battle rival and to the 2nd gym as well as a fresh makuhita to train.

Oh, I really thought you're going for Lombre. Ok, I'm going to change it now.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Major updates from me!
    • Got through Victory Road; wasn't too hard except for that one person with that Chansey. Took a million turns to get through it.
    • Got up to Indigo Plateau, where I saved. At this point, my Growlithe didn't know Flamethrower, so I grinded in Victory Road and on Mt. Ember until it did.
    • Went to Celadon to get a Fire Stone, which I used too evolve Growlithe into Arcanine
    • Went to Two Island to teach Venusaur Frenzy Plant, since I didn't feel like teaching it Strength and I needed it for Lorelei
    • Headed back to Indigo Plateau and saved
    • Deposited my two HM slaves (Aerodactyl and Meowth)
    • Stocked up on items (I went in with 20 Revives, 20 Full Restores, and a bunch of other items)
    • Challenged Lorelei. If it wasn't for Gyarados, I would have died right then and there. I did die about three times (of course I used the save that I took before I started the challenge so I wouldn't lose anything), but on my fourth run, I got through without any major difficulties and saved after healing.
    • Beat Koga easily; Arcanine knew Aerial Ace, which made it a walk in the park (oddly enough, Gyarados can't learn it, despite it being a Flying type)
    • Agatha was quite annoying. Her Gengar with Double Team spammed it, and I couldn't hit it. So out of frustration, I sent out Arcanine and Aerial Aced it to death. Cheapness for the win ^_^
    • Lance... oh my god, I hate him so much. It wasn't so much an issue with his other Pokémon; they went down without much of a problem. His Dragonite, however, took a lot of work to kill. I Toxic'd it, Leech Seeded it, and Frenzy Planted it at one point, but nothing killed it. Gyarados, at that point, was the only surviving member. By a Deux Ex, I hung on with about 12 HP after an Outrage and watched as it went down to a Leech Seed drain. Epic win right there.
    • Healed my Pokémon (at this point, I had about 8 Revives/Full Restores and a few other items) and saved for Paul
    • Went into the Champion's room and faced him. His Pidgeot was annoying due to its Speed, but after some strategizing, I killed it. Paul sent out his Rhydon, which promptly fell to a Surf from Gyarados. He sent out his Gyarados, which I countered with Venusaur (the fact it can't learn any Flying moves was good for me :) ). He spammed Dragon Rage while I Leech Seeded it, and eventually, he began using Thrash. I then killed it with Frenzy Plant :D . His Alakazam... that was not fun. I Leech Seeded it while it used Future Sight, then died to a Psychic. The next millenia was spent reviving and fainting and squeezing in attacks at every possible moment, until it finally died. He then sent out Exeggutor, which I destroyed with a few powerful Flamethrowers (I think it was a 2HKO). Finally, he sent out Charizard. Gyarados was the counter, and I squeezed a few Surfs in until he used a Full Restore. I then healed myself and began spamming Surf again, until he used ANOTHER Full restore. I hit him with a few more Surfs before Charizard sent out a critical Fire Blast, rendering Gyarados out for the count (keep in mind that it had about 5 HP or some ridiculously low figure like that). I then switched into a hurt Arcanine, and not wanting this win to slip through my fingers, I used ExtremeSpeed. His Charizard went down, and I became Champion.
    • My three Pokémon became Hall of Famers and I went back to Pallet Town, saving.
    • Began talking around, figuring out how to get to the other Sevii Islands. Turns out, I need to complete my abysmally empty Pokédex, which had a bit over 100 entries seen and a ridiculously low 24 caught. I've got some work to do...
    • Saved

So, yeah. Beat the 1337 4, finally! My current party is:
    Venusaur
    Triospecies Challenge - 3rd Generation

Level 51
    Moves:
    • Frenzy Plant
    • Toxic
    • Leech Seed (for those of you who talk it down, you're gravely mistaken. It's an awesome move, and saved my butt during the E4 challenge)
    • Razor Leaf
    Stats:
    HP: 153
    Attack: 87
    Defense: 111
    Special Attack: 120
    Special Defense: 134
    Speed: 114

Gyarados

Level 49
    Moves:
    • Bite
    • Strength
    • Earthquake (for those pesky Electric types)
    • Surf
    Stats:
    HP: 172
    Attack: 126
    Defense: 113
    Special Attack: 78
    Special Defense: 120
    Speed: 108

Arcanine

Level 50
    Moves:
    • Bite
    • ExtremeSpeed
    • Aerial Ace
    • Flamethrower (this is the reason why I waited so long to evolve it)
    Stats:
    HP: 161
    Attack: 134
    Defense: 106
    Special Attack: 126
    Special Defense: 92
    Speed: 103

Now, I need to get the National Pokédex and do the Sevii Islands. I've yet to see a bunch of them; I'll post back as I continue seeing them. (For some reason, I haven't seen a Squirtle. Weird.)

EDIT: I've seen 44 Pokémon now. 16 to go.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Great update!
    If remember right, you can "see" a Squirtle on the route before Vermilion. The boy who is talking with a girl.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    It doesn't really matter now; I got the National Pokédex. So I guess... MOAR UPDATES!
    • Caught a bunch of Pokémon and evolved the stuff that doesn't require any effort (Eevee into Vaporeon, Weedle into Beedrill, etc.) so my Pokédex was filled with 60 complete entries
    • Saw Prof. Oak and got the National Pokédex
    • Took the ferry to One Island
    • Spoke to Celio
    • Went to face the Rocket Grunts at the base of Mt. Ember (I really like that one grunt's line where he says "Develop amnesia conveniently and forget everything you heard!")
    • Navigated the innards of Mt. Ember until I got the Ruby, then used an Escape Rope to go back to the surface. Cheap, I know ^_^
    • Gave the Ruby to Celio and got the Rainbow Pass and the new Town Map
    • Went to Five Island
    • Decided not to figure out Icefall Cave immediately and moved onto Six Island
    • Realized that once I got to the Rocket Warehouse that I'd need to go to Icefall, went back to Five Island and saved

I'm moving along in the challenge. Once I complete Celio's Network Machine, I can finally finish it! I estimate I'll be done in a day or so.

Well, I finished it. I finally finished FireRed.
    EDIT: Listing now.
    • Got HM07 and taught it to Vaporeon.
    • Faced Rocket Grunt and beat him.
    • Went to Ruin Valley and sliced open the door with Cut
    • Nearly got the Sapphire, but that guy stole it from me.
    • Went to the Rocket Warehouse and beat everyone.
    • Taught Sludge Bomb to Venusaur, deleting Frenzy Plant.
    • Got the Sapphire (again) and gave it to Celio.
    • Went to Cerulean Cave and caught Mewtwo.
    • Saved.
    • Today (everything prior was yesterday), I level grinded and beat the E4 again. Wasn't fun. I don't feel like recounting the entire story, but I beat Paul a second time. So yeah.
    • Saved.

This challenge was fun. Believe it or not, it's the first time that I've ever beat FireRed, so I'm very pleased. And now, I can abuse the Emerald cloning glitch with Mewtwo and other things! :D Thank you, Zelfier, for making the challenge.

Last edited:

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    I finally finished. Sorry for posting just one update. I know you're supposed to update frequently. But here it is anyway! :D

Spoiler:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I finally finished. Sorry for posting just one update. I know you're supposed to update frequently. But here it is anyway! :D

Spoiler:

Oh, so you're the type who update only once and the game is finished already. Cool, your in the winners list.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Zelfier, are we allowed to do the TriSpecies in a non-GBA game such as XD? If so I might do it again. (Btw, finished FireRed on the last page).

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Zelfier, are we allowed to do the TriSpecies in a non-GBA game such as XD? If so I might do it again. (Btw, finished FireRed on the last page).

Oh yeah, I haven't read your other post yet. :P
    You're on the winners list.

Also, if you want to do that you can but you cannot post updates here since this is just for GBA games.

EDIT:

Also, since your the very active challenger here:
    I present you this:

Congratulations, TheAppleFreak!

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Aww, thanks!
    It's a little weird to see that I'm the only person who beat FireRed in the Hall Of Winners. Oh well, it still feels good.

Years
  • The first post still says I used Bellsprout, Mankey and Drowzee, but actually I used their final stages.

Whatever, I am here to take this challenge again, on Ruby version. This time my team shall consist of Graveler, Muk and Xatu.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    The first post still says I used Bellsprout, Mankey and Drowzee, but actually I used their final stages.

Whatever, I am here to take this challenge again, on Ruby version. This time my team shall consist of Graveler, Muk and Xatu.

LOL. I'll edit it if you really want. :D
    Good luck on taking the challenge for the second time.

Years
  • Here's already my first update: Consists only of boring early stuff, so don't even bother to read.
    The early stuff was the same as always: I chose Mudkip because it's the best slave, caught 5 Zigzagoons, skipped as many trainers as possible, beat Roxanne and got access to Dewford.
    Caught a Geodude (with Ultra Ball, pour le lulz) there, deposited Mudkip (lv.14) and beat all the skipped trainers and then delivered these goods.
    All that was pretty obvious, but then I decided to go for Brawly before Slateport, and after one 5 or so tries, I beat him. With 1 HP left after a 2-hit Arm Thrust follwed by an OHKOing Magnitude 9. Pretty close.
    Sailed to Slateport's beach then and saved there.

Team:

Grave / Geodude f Lv.21 @ Silk Scarf
    Impish Nature / Rock Head

- Tackle
    - Defense Curl
    - Magnitude
    - Rock Throw
    In the weird pirated Gold and Silver versions I had the dubious luck to have, Graveler was called Grave due to a 5 character limit. I thought I might as well steal that "idea".
    About the moves: I made some pretty obvious choices here. No Mud Sport because its a waste of a slot, no Rock Tomb because it never hits and no Selfdestruct because it would be foolish.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    deku
    Game: Sapphire
    Team: Bellossom, Flygon, Combusken

Years
  • Update:
    Slateport stuff was easy, except for some of the Wingulls and the surfing Zigzagoon.
    My rival fight was a lot harder. I could OHKO the Numel with my freshly evolved Graveler, OHKO the Wailmer if Magnitude was 7 or higher, but not the Groyvle, since it resists Magnitude and Rock Throw is too weak. Somehow I finally defeated that thing after a lots of attempts, a lot of grinding, and even more attempts with a Magnitude 10, probably even a critical one.
    In Mauville, I only defeated Wattson and went to Fiery Path as soon as possible. When I finally met a Grimer (I should have chosen Sapphire and not Ruby...), it had a crappy nature. Luckily, it was female, so I had to catch a male Koffing and breed them. The first hatched Grimer already came with a decent nature, so I'm using that one. Gave some TMs to it and saved.

Team:

Grave / Graveler f Lv.33 @ Soft Sand

- Tackle
    - Defense Curl
    - Magnitude
    - Rock Throw
    No changes, except for the evolution.

Grima / Grimer f Lv.5 @ Silk Scarf
    Quiet Nature / Stench

- Rock Tomb
    - Pound
    - Thief
    - Shock Wave
    Once again, I got a Pokemon nickname from LOTR, this time it's Sarumans spy. Let's see how well this thing will do.

More Update: Beat everyone left around Mauville. Did the entire Mt.Chimney thing. Beat Flannery quite easily. Unlike the next boss, since now it was:
    Norman time! First Slaking: It used Facade, Grimer used Sludge and poisoned it. Then, it soon died after a couple of Digs.
    Vigoroth: No chance against Graveler.
    Second Slaking: Graveler was still out, and on the first turn I gave Grimer a Super Potion. I completely forgot about that that thing has Focus Punch, so Graveler died. Grimer then killed the helpless Slaking via Digrape.

Team:

Grave / Graveler f Lv.38 @ Soft Sand

- Secret Power
    - Defense Curl
    - Magnitude
    - Rock Throw
    Damn, physically defensive beast with +Defense nature and Slaking still kills it... I hate Norman.

Grima / Grimer f Lv.34 @ (useless) Blackglasses
    Quiet Nature / Stench

- Rock Tomb
    - Sludge
    - Dig
    - Shock Wave
    At first, I had some problems with this thing, but since its around level 30, it has done a very well job. And I never knew this learns Dig. Sadly only Dig and not EQ...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back