• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Triple Battles! Discussion Thread

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    So most of you have experienced it, or perhaps you've heard and seen screenshots of it; it's triple battles!

Triple battles are a big role in battling throughout gameplay and include two parts; obviously the three vs. three and Rotational Battles. It's the new battle style next to double battles; both strategically and for in-game play.

The Targets

The pokémon you target all depends on the position you are in throughout the battle.
    ☆ The middle pokémon has the ability to attack any of the three pokémon on your opponent's side.
    ☆ The pokémon on the left and right sides can only attack those opposite them and the middle pokémon.
    ☆ You are able to switch the position of your pokémon, but you lose a turn doing so.

Rotational Battles

Rotational Battles are put out just like Triple Battles, but deal with the stage of rotating.
    A one on one with your other pokémon set out to the back.
    You have the option to rotate the stage clockwise and anti-clockwise which allows you to use one of your pokémon in the back as your main.
    Rotation is the first thing that happens before an attack. The speed of a pokémon is calculated after the rotation.
    Triple battles can seem confusing, especially for the first time. Is it something you see yourself getting confused about? Do you like the idea of triple battles or would you prefer the earlier version, double battles?

Discuss!

Duragi

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2011
    Seems exciting. I'd love to try it.
    One day there may be whole team battles. That would be a toughie.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I've done both the rotational battles and triple battles, both great fun though :3!

Martins

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    I was very much confused at first, but after experiencing multiple battles as such, I got the 'hang of it'. This was a nice touch by Nintendo.

Yono

Creepin' and Crawlin'
    Years
    Still trying to get the hang of Triple Battles. :/

I'm still a bit confused, especially when it comes to Rotation, as I don't know how to "rotate" my Pokemon that are out.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I haven't done any triple/rotation battles yet (because I don't have B/W), but I do have an idea on how triple battles work now. I was confused when triple battles were first introduced, but now I found that they work in a similar way to double battles.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I've only done the Rotational Battles, and they're pretty fun. I'm not sure I can see myself actively trying to play in that type of match, but once in a while they can be fun. I'm looking forward to trying the Triple Battles.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    It looks weird but fun. I dont think it will be my kind of battling but I am excited to try it out.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    Looks like fun! ...Just dunno where the first one is in the game; D: anyone know?

I presume you're playing Black, right? Black has significantly less triple battles than White. The only one I know of takes place on the Wonder Bridge.

Anyway, I've only played triple battles (I have White), and I really like them so far. I'm glad there's more strategy incorporated into them than double battles. I really wish there were even more, they're a great break from single battles.

Bay

Years
    I presume you're playing Black, right? Black has significantly less triple battles than White. The only one I know of takes place on the Wonder Bridge.

Anyway, I've only played triple battles (I have White), and I really like them so far. I'm glad there's more strategy incorporated into them than double battles. I really wish there were even more, they're a great break from single battles.
    Huh, really? I assume the two games will have the same amount of triple battles. I plan on getting Black when the English version comes out, so it looks like I won't experience it much. XD

It does look confusing at first, but I'll get the hang of it. Was intimidated with double battles when I first played Sapphire, so this shouldn't be too different. XD

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I tried one, got it within a few minutes. It's similar to double battles so it wasn't hard.I kind of enjoyed it too.

The Red Chain

The first time I read the words "triple battle" on Serebii's news update, my jaw dropped. That just sounds so hectic, and from all the screenshots the screen is immensely crowded up by names, HP bars, and Pokemon. I like the way rotational battles look way more since the screen doesn't look like a car wreck anymore. The worst part is if you weren't patient and got the Japanese version of B&W you would be majorlyyyy confused in a triple battle ; especially if you kept all the original names.

I have my White version and I haven't gotten started much on it, so I haven't been in a triple battle yet.. but once I do I may change my thoughts.
    I highly doubt the latter, tbh.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Wait, since when was there triple battles? Oh my goshes, I have been away from B/W News Blogs and such too long. =D Sounds pretty cool so far.

Aquamentis

Touhoumon Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Apr 22, 2016
    A triple battle would be interesting, and I'd like to try it with a pokemon with lightning rod and one with storm drain to see if they draw attacks even across the battle (Such as if a pokemon on the far right uses an electric attack if it draws it to a pokemon with lightning rod to the far left). But otherwise it'll make things interesting with normal area-hitting moves like earthquake or Surf.

Back