• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Truth and Ideals

Years
    The original Black and White's story focused on the concept of truth and ideals, being the main theme of the rivals, main villains and the mascot legendary Pokemon. It makes for a very deep story, and one that will likely leave emotional memories to those who played.

What did you think of this theme to the game? Which would you side with and why?

EternalSushi

Fresh for a lifetime.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • HK
    • Seen Sep 9, 2017
    Gosh, yeah. I remember this being quite a debate back then.

As much as I love Reshiram a lot more than Zekrom, believing ideals does seem to give you more benefits.

There's always believing the truth and knowing the truth, but it's often that when you know too much about facts and truths...well, you don't challenge them. You know that whatever you do, this will happen as that's always going to be the truth. On the other hand, having ideals would often give you motivation and power to achieve even the impossible. When facing uncertainty, ideals often help you power you through, and even if you fail in the end it'd still be a good attempt. Truth just seems more of a 'gate' when you think about it, limiting what people would bother trying and going for.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I found the other themes and elements of the story to be more interesting really.

I suppose that it's kind of ironic or something that while my favorite Pokemon of all time is Zekrom, which, in part, represents ideals, I actually have a bit of a dislike of idealistic thinking.

Years
    Yeah the story is so deep. But I don't think pokemon are slaves for trainer . They are like their true friends . I can think of it as my pet dog a pokemon and I am as a trainer . I love her so much. But on the other hand did pokemons like fighting with their kind and hurt them . I don't know but I like B/W so much

Years
    Now for my input.

I found the theme very deep and it was definitely what drew me well into the story. Also, while I may have played Black and therefore my ingame trainer was pursuing truth, I would more likely pursue ideals since it would make you want to push harder to achieve especially with the uncertainty issues I run into.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    It's an interesting dichotomy and I like the way they made it into the central theme of Black and White. Personally, I can't say I'd fall on either side, because one without the other is meaningless (ideals without reality don't accomplish anything, reality without ideals is static and unchanging). So I'm going to take the side of #teamkyurem and say neither :P

CatAlert

[Insert User Title]
    Years
    Although I had never played either Black or White, I think I might have seen the concept of truth versus ideals defined in another game, although it was very vague. I have no clue why this was the central theme for these games. Perhaps it was because that both were seen throughout history, or perhaps it was just because it relates to the story. I do think the theme is probably the most interesting out of all, and I am thinking about getting a copy of the games if I have the chance.

As for taking sides, I admit I do tend to side with one over the other. However, I think a world full of complete truths is just as unachievable as a completely idealistic world.

Back