• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trying to figure out what these are

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2012
    I lived in Japan for 8 years and have collected many things. Most of my cards I gave away to other kids when I got older, but my brother just unpacked two albums that I had, that I collected in 1996. Here is a picture of the albums, I have searched all over the web and cannot find out what kind of cards, or their values if any for the life of me. If anyone can help me that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

www . i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/Kill_Curtis/pokemon.jpg

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2012
    Sorry there is no www before that link

It's just h t t p : / / then i35

Even after removing the spaces in your image link, I still get a broken link. I suggest uploading an image as an attachment to your next post.

Also, I can't attach an image because I haven't exceeded 15 posts yet :(.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ah, sorry, seems the actual function for attaching images as a file has disappeared entirely, as the option is just gone when I've gone to full-reply mode.

Anyway... I have never seen those cards before. The art looks like Sugimori art, so I think those may have been some sort of promotional giveaway item for some event before the craze hit the States.

I couldn't tell you the name of them, though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2012
    I was talking to a friend that was also in Japan with me and collected these too, and we have come to the conclusion that they were stickers (you can peel the backs off of all of them) but you bought them in booster packs just like the real cards. They also have the attack and defence stats on them so I think that you can also use them as a game.

On all of the cards there is a nintendo message printed at the bottom as follows:

(C)Nintendo* CREATURES-GAMEFREAK-TV TOKOYO-SHO-PRO-JR KIKAKU

Some of the cards have stats on the back as well, some are completely see through and some are covered in a Super DX Gold logo.

The books I have them in are called Pocket Monsters Pocket Albums that I bought in Japan as well so I'm pretty sure they are collectors items because there are Albums for these cards specifically.

Like I said, I've looked everywhere and can't find anything. I was just wondering if anyone here know anything more than me because it seems like this communitiy have invested more time researching Pokemon then I have.

Thanks. If you would like for me to post more pictures of fronts, backs, or the whole album I can.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    Alright I found out what they were for you :). Had to do a lot of searching haha and reverse googling your photo. Since you gave more information it made it easier. What you have are called Pocket Monster Hyper Stickers, I've no idea the prices for the specific ones you have but it seems mint condition unopened packs sell for around 15-20 bucks each and they contain around 10 stickers in each pack. You might have rarer ones or more common ones but i don't know. It seems theres only one holographic sticker per pack (the one on the very top) They were made and released in Japan in 1998. Here's some links for you if youd like to research what they are in more depth.

https://collectibles.bidstart.com/P...r-Sticker-Collection-33-Pack-/20572129/a.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POKEMON-PO...?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item3f1f3a2178

https://stores.windowshopshop.com/-strse-1629/Pokemon-Pocket-Monster-Hyper/Detail.bok

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POKEMON-POCKET-MONSTERS-HYPER-STICKER-COLLECTION-BOX-JAPANESE-/380400279001

https://www.webstore.com/Pokemon-Po...Pack-,name,9388720,auction_id,auction_details

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2012
    That is exactly what they are Awesomepulls. Thank you for doing some research for me. Just by clicking on the fist link you provided, it brought back a lot of memories of my time on Okinawa, Japan.

Now that I know what they are, what is the best way of finding out values of these certain rare cards? Should I just swing by a local card shop and see if they have any clue what they are or would e-bay be the best way to sell cards in the future if I ended up keeping them for some time?

Also looking into it, if I remember correctly when you buy a pack there is the holographic on the front that you get for sure, and there are multiple packs of (two) cards each in the box you purchase. In those packs of two, you can find rare cards that such as the all gold ones I have collected and semi rare cards. Looking at my collection, it looks like I threw all of the common cards out, and only kept the rare/semi rare cards in my albums.

Still confused how I would value my cards though since all I see online are packs of these cards, and not rare cards individually. *shrugs*

Last edited:
    Back