• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I'm honestly not ready for Windows 10 yet. I'd still have to test it out myself before I even consider upgrading, plus I kinda have the fear that there might be this huge bug in the operating system that could affect my computer greatly.

Years
    idk if I'd have to have a product key to get into Win 10 or not, but if I do, then there's really not much I can do once it arrives by the end of July or so. x_x; I've been trying to see if I can buy a new laptop with win 8.1 before then, just so I can get the free upgrade to 10 and whatnot.
    Even if you run Windows 7, you should still be able to have a reserved copy of Windows 10, which is tied to an email address you provide.

Years
    We'll see. I'm honestly not too confident, though. Been meaning to get a new laptop anyway since mine is pretty shit at this point lol, this is is just all the more reason to do so.
    Out of curiosity, how old is your current laptop?

Over the next few weeks, Fast Ring users will be getting a plethora of updates leading up to the RTM build on the 29th. From my uses, the OS seems relatively stable. Most of the UI is finalized, but who knows what else will be added. It also seems that the testers will be getting builds first, then it'll be slowly rolled out to other users. I should get around to backing up my files and whatnot, and empty my hard drive of what I can, as I intend to do a clean installation. Here's hoping it goes well.
    Hmm, I see. If anything, I guess I could just use a dump laptop of mine and test out Windows 10 (which is available through DreamSpark if I'm not available to get it via download from Microsoft).

Years
    Did I ever mention that I still have problems with my tablet's auto-rotate becoming dysfunctional after awhile? Yeah, I'm starting to the think that the accelerometer is shot.

Years
    Ouch. Too bad Android doesn't have an option to manually set the rotation. Might be a mod for it somewhere though.
    Oh I know there are apps for it, but that's just the laziness in me for not downloading them.

Also, still no answer on XDA about my adb issue. :/ meh

Years
    So I just set up a Skype To Go number, but it had the wrong province area code, so I updated it. I then got ###-666-0184 as my Skype To Go number. I'm not making this up.
    I'm swell with my Google voice number, to be honest. :P At least I don't have to pay for usage of it, but it also allows for me to send SMS, MMS (via Hangouts), and make free calls to the US/Canada at no cost, so long as I have an active internet connection.

Years
    I don't know if that's available in Canada or not, but it'd be nice to have.
    Yeah I'm not sure either D:

How much does it cost to have a number through Skype? Last I checked, you have to have Skype credit (or Skype Premium) to have a number through them.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    :/ that must suck

Also, did I fail to mention how efficient Cyanogenmod is on my tablet's battery?

Yeah, I hate it. It's been weeks.

Good for you! I've heard that most OEM's firmware tend to be less-than-ideal when it comes to battery life.

Sometimes I still wonder if getting a Surface 3 is the right move, to be honest. I think I might end up in a situation where an Atom x7 won't cut it; on the other hand, the fans in the Surface Pro 3 is a big no-no for tablet use.

And then there's the Acer Aspire Switch 12 and Asus Transformer T300 Chi, but they're much larger than a Surface 3, though you get a lot more computer for every $.

If only tech purchases were as easy!

On another topic, I've been using my dad's laptop just for kicks. It's surprisingly nice. (No, neither my laptop or my tablet are broken.)

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I'm still on Windows 7 and I don't really see the need to upgrade until 10 starts offering things that aren't available on 7 (improved game performance, etc.). Everything I've seen of 10 is ugly as hell and plus I don't like the whole "Windows as a service" model they're transitioning to. I'm sure I'll probably have to upgrade eventually, but I'm delaying it as much as possible.

That won't stop me from making a test install though.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm still on Windows 7 and I don't really see the need to upgrade until 10 starts offering things that aren't available on 7 (improved game performance, etc.). Everything I've seen of 10 is ugly as hell and plus I don't like the whole "Windows as a service" model they're transitioning to. I'm sure I'll probably have to upgrade eventually, but I'm delaying it as much as possible.

That won't stop me from making a test install though.

Mmm hmm. At the very least, you probably shouldn't upgrade the OS as soon as it comes out. You never know what kind of issues you might run into early on! It's probably a good idea to wait it out for a month at least. Then again, seeing as the initial roll-out will be for Windows Insiders, it might be less of a problem than we have thought. Basically, the beta testers are beta-testing the OS when it RTMs. It's a bit of a weird software lifecycle, though.

It's highly unlikely that Windows will be offered as a subscription, anyway, despite what some ill-informed writers might want you to believe. If you guys were referring to the financial reports, that's just standard practice when you're doing that kind of offer - all that has to go somewhere, to be honest. It's likely that the licences will be similar to an "OEM" licence, just like the kind we do have right now. And Microsoft is actually pretty lenient on what you do with these licences, too - if it's a desktop computer, if you ever change the hardware enough that you need reactivation, just perform activation over the phone, and speak to someone if need be.

And, it never hurts to reserve. You aren't forced to get it when it arrives, anyway. But yeah, better to be safe than sorry (though Windows 10 should provide a way to roll back to the previous OS if you didn't clean install/Reset it first.)

I think, if you have an existing Windows 7/8 install, you won't have to pay a dime to update and won't ever have to pay, from what I can tell. But yeah, I intend to keep my Windows 8 recovery partition so if it's not working well with my laptop I can downgrade and reinstall.

Yeah. Though I think they aren't offering an upgrade to a "retail" key this time around and probably they'll act more like "OEM" keys once you upgrade.

Personally I think I probably won't bother doing much with the recovery partition and I'll be likely to continue using IE11 for a short while, even on Windows 10, if only to wait for Edge bugs to get rid of. It's still a bit messy right now.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Yeah. I heard this particular laptop has issues installing vanilla versions of Windows because of driver issues, so keeping the recovery partition is a good idea in case Windows 10 gets borked somehow and keeps it from installing properly. I may also make a recovery disc in case something happens.

Actually, modern versions of Windows should automatically roll back to your previous OS install if anything goes wrong, at least if Windows 8.1's setup is of any indication. But, still, better safe than sorry. (That's the beauty of moving everything relevant to Windows.old.)

Years
    Speaking of random laptop issues, it seems that my old HP laptop has something wrong with it. I got the Windows 10 preview onto it, but now it seems to freeze at random. It started yesterday when I tried to go defrag the machine. Hmm....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back