• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • So, my search for a desktop is pretty much at a halt now that I have a hard drive dock for the drive. So far, it's done good to at least let me get my music library back up and running. :)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    *is now looking for good mobile broadband deals in his home country*

Ah, so many things done today. A lot of cancellations, a lot of planning ahead...

Sometimes I wish I could take my time with tech stuff, too.

(I think I'll probably also get a new tablet.)

Years
  • (I think I'll probably also get a new tablet.)
    Sounds like something I'd tell my parents if I had money :P

I do want to get an Android phone sometime this year as well. Hmm, I'm looking at you Moto G.

By the way guys, C&T's rules have been rewritten from scratch, so check those out if you haven't already. :)

Years
  • So I found this today in the Splash feed:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/microsofts-cortana-coming-ios-android-devices/story?id=31316424

idk why MS would do that, seeing as there's already assistants on the two other devices. What gives?

Personal assistants are connected into each respective platforms user data/search packages. Google Now heavily leverages Google Search, but is a lot weaker where local functionality is concerned. Cortana is going to leverage Bing, and probably the Live/Outlook account system that will be integrated into Windows accounts. This is Microsoft's way of nudging users towards Outlook versus Gmail or Google Calendar.

It's also important to note that Microsoft is, surprisingly, one of Google's direct competitors in Android. Not only do they make a healthy profit on Android sales, they're also one of the official partners for CyanogenOS now, and you'll start seeing CyanogenOS devices ship with Microsoft alternatives to Google offerings.

Also for user data. The more people use Bing, the more data Microsoft has to improve Bing and offer relevant advertising options to bring in revenue. The introduction of Cortana just creates an additional mechanism for Microsoft to collect and use user data.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm pondering about getting a desktop keyboard that is designed for gaming soon, as I think I will probably change my laptop into a funny-looking desktop. Thoughts?

Years
  • I'm pondering about getting a desktop keyboard that is designed for gaming soon, as I think I will probably change my laptop into a funny-looking desktop. Thoughts?
    I won't be the one that says not to go for it, because currently I use my laptop as a desktop. It sits on a cooling pad (which needs to be replaced because it's old), and is hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. :P

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I won't be the one that says not to go for it, because currently I use my laptop as a desktop. It sits on a cooling pad (which needs to be replaced because it's old), and is hooked up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. :P

Haha, yeah. The only thing that's stopping me from doing that? I'd probably rather put that cash towards a new tablet.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    If you do a lot of typing (or coding), you might look into getting a mechanical keyboard, which will offer significant benefits over a typical keyboard (and the built-in keyboard).

Sounds like a good idea. Got anything that is black and backlit? I'd like things to fit in well with my current rig and mouse setup.

As for where the laptop should be located... Hmm... How should it be located relative to the monitor, keyboard, and mouse, when it's being used as a makeshift desktop rig? I'd want to have some clearance at both sides, especially on the right, as the optical drive is on the right side, and the exhaust vents are on the left side. I'd like them to be clear.

I suspect I'll get a Razer gaming keyboard that's also mechanical. Goes along with my current setup, and I've also personally used one of them, too.

Years
  • Mechanical keyboard? Oh god, one of those will make my friends on Skype when we have our calls complain more while I type :P

Anyways. Don't you just hate it when you have tech problems for the longest of time, and the solution is a simple fix? Well, for me, my Wi-Fi had been so slow these past few weeks, and I wasn't sure why. Turns out, a channel change fixed the problem and now I have back to what I should be getting. :)

4392328368.png

EDIT: For the sake of curiosity, a ping test as well:

124004814.png

Last edited:
    Years
  • Changing the channel is a pretty good bet if you live in an a residential area with a lot of wireless networks in range.

Not all mechanical keyboards are 'clicky.' Mine has Cherry MX Blue switches, so it makes a lot of noise, but there's a lot of response. You also have the option of the Cherry MX Switches, which feel like Blue switches, but lack the mechanical click noise. There are a good number of variations of switches that you can get, tailored to your own preferences. Otherwise, most keyboards that aren't mechanical aren't too different from the ones built into laptops, so there is little gain to using them, unless you want the extra keys or want to use the laptop with the lid closed (with a monitor).

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Sounds like a good idea. Got anything that is black and backlit? I'd like things to fit in well with my current rig and mouse setup.

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth (2014). Individually backlit keys, and uses Razer's own switches which are based off Cherry MX Brown. Isn't too clicky, and it's pretty damn responsive.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Changing the channel is a pretty good bet if you live in an a residential area with a lot of wireless networks in range.

Not all mechanical keyboards are 'clicky.' Mine has Cherry MX Blue switches, so it makes a lot of noise, but there's a lot of response. You also have the option of the Cherry MX Switches, which feel like Blue switches, but lack the mechanical click noise. There are a good number of variations of switches that you can get, tailored to your own preferences. Otherwise, most keyboards that aren't mechanical aren't too different from the ones built into laptops, so there is little gain to using them, unless you want the extra keys or want to use the laptop with the lid closed (with a monitor).

Thanks! I'll take a look at the keyboard switch types out there. I think I'd prefer something that's quiet, as I tend to end up using my computer in the middle of the night. Last thing I'd want to do is to wake other people up.

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth (2014). Individually backlit keys, and uses Razer's own switches which are based off Cherry MX Brown. Isn't too clicky, and it's pretty damn responsive.

That does sound like the kind of thing I'm looking for. I think I'll also consider other vendors, though. What are the keyboard manufacturers that I should watch out for?

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • Thanks! I'll take a look at the keyboard switch types out there. I think I'd prefer something that's quiet, as I tend to end up using my computer in the middle of the night. Last thing I'd want to do is to wake other people up.

If you want a mechanical keyboard to be quiet, you should invest in some o-rings, which dampen the noise from bottoming out the key. The switch type I'd go for in such a situation would probably be Cherry MX Browns (or clones of those such as the Razer ones or Kailh Browns since the Cherry MX patent ran out recently).

That does sound like the kind of thing I'm looking for. I think I'll also consider other vendors, though. What are the keyboard manufacturers that I should watch out for?

With mechanical keyboards, particularly if you are looking at the cheaper end of the market (Mechanical keyboards are never really cheap compared to non-mechanical), I would say that the manufacturer doesn't matter much as long as you get the right switches.
    If you want some brands to look for anyway, ones that I have had good experience with, in no particular order, are Corsair, Cooler Master(advertised as CM storm), Ducky, Steelseries and Razer (do note that Razer has recently started using their own switches instead of the market standard Cherry MX switches)

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Logitech has a new mechanical keyboard that I tried the other day and I really like. It's the G910 Orion Spark, and the keys feel really great and it's actually super quiet for a mechanical keyboard. Unfortunately, it's also $179.99, which is insane for a keyboard. @_@

I'm hoping the G710+ drops in price to about $60-70 and I'd be tempted to pick one of those up. They have the O-rings pre-installed so it's considerably quieter than a stock mechanical keyboard, though still not as quiet as the G910.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    With mechanical keyboards, particularly if you are looking at the cheaper end of the market (Mechanical keyboards are never really cheap compared to non-mechanical), I would say that the manufacturer doesn't matter much as long as you get the right switches.

Actually, I would say go with a trusted brand, because of the support they provide.

I'd recommend going for either Razer or Logitech. I've heard some good things about Corsair, Das and Steelseries as well.

Years
  • Logitech has certainly been my go-to brand for years, and it's probably the same for many more of y'all if I had to guess.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I think Corsair is a really nice brand, actually. They have nice mouses, keyboards, computer case fans, and even cases themselves - some of their cases are really cool, and if I ever build a PC it will almost definitely have a Corsair case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back