• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV now, and TV then...

Years
    Is it just me, or does TV sucks now? I can't quite put my finger on it, but the shows are just stupid now. They do come out with some alright ones and very little good ones still. They all seem the same now though, with just a little twist. Like this guy is a cop and he has kids, then another show comes on and this guy is a cop who is about to have kids. Can the story lines get any better. So what's your opinion?

Zaikiro

The offgoining vet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    I have to agree with you Bobby. TV has change. TV was better when there was no Volience in the world. Now they base TV on things today and they always steal something from something else and make it worse.

Demonic_Wobbuffet

Student Alchemist
    Years
    TV is getting worse and worse. And all the reality shows are making it all so stupid and pointless... All the violence and stuff are messing up society's mind. I liked when the world was more peaceful and tv was actually good.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Yes, for the most part, television shows have become incredibly stupid and predictable. Comedies and dramas can be put into one of a few overused sub-genres:

Comedy:
    a) Overweight, bumbling man and his foxy but responsible wife go through their day and fight with each other over his laziness and her love of shoes with "hilarious" consequences.
    b)Woman has sex with everyone she comes into contact with, with jokes thrown in between sessions.

Drama:
    a)A shocking and seemingly-unsolvable crime is solved. NOTE: Each week, the crime must be more shocking than last week.
    b)A young, single, capable lawyer faces problems in the courtroom as well as the bedroom.
    c)A group of liquored-up rich kids fight and party as they come of age.

And that's about it. TV is at a creative low, now depending on sex, violence, and shock to draw crowds. Of course, the problem is a lot more complex than this, but I'm just giving a rough three-sentence sketch of what it's basically like <_<;

Kimicatdemon

One who randomly returns!
    Years
    i think TV these days has made those reality shows bad, and some cartoons as well...... speaking of cartoons no seems to like those people who dress up like cartoons which goes to prove no wants to watch old school stuff that kept tv cool.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Cartoons sure have changed through the years. I remember when I was about five. Disney shows were on kidswb! (which is hard to believe now) but now cartoons are just meh to me. I know I'm a sucker for anime but why cant cartoons advance instead of turn to crap? I mean look at "Kids Next Door" nuff said. Sorry if I offended anyone.
    And about the sitcoms
    I heard that around and before the early 90s, sitcoms were all happy, honest and not dirty. But then once the newer sitcoms rolled around, jokes were placed in, twists were added and the goodness kind of left.
    Violence isn't the only problem, so are foul language and sex talk. If TV didn't have those, the kids of today would behave much better.

00Zero

banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2006
    :\ :confused:
    Demonic_Wobbuffet said:
    TV is getting worse and worse. And all the reality shows are making it all so stupid and pointless... All the violence and stuff are messing up society's mind. I liked when the world was more peaceful and tv was actually good.
    I agree with you Demonic this realty shows are every where know!
    Where I live theres a whole stupid realty show ALL DAY LONG and at night are the stupidest and broignest shows and even in the morning and afternoon!
    ~Its getting worst and worst!~ :D :( :dead: :surprised

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jul 27, 2005
    I agree with all of you, television is getting worse as time goes on. I've never been a fan of T.V., but now it seems that there is rarely a program worth watching. T.V. has gone down the tubes. <---(Lame pun). ;)

00Zero

banned
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2006
    Sanity said:
    I agree with all of you, television is getting worse as time goes on. I've never been a fan of T.V., but now it seems that there is rarely a program worth watching. T.V. has gone down the tubes. <---(Lame pun). ;)
    I agree with you to there are alot of discovery channels on know to!

RoxasOld

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 29, 2006
    Hm. Most of the reality shows just suck, now. But there are some that stay aweom. Such as Wildboyz, The Andy Milonakis Show, and Viva La Bam. Those are just hilarious. But other than those and Ghost Hunters (SciFi), reality TV sucks.

Drama is still good, from what I've seen. Law & Order is still the best drama ever (SVU is the best Law & Order). Actually, that's just about the only drama show I watch XD

Comedy is good. Scrubs is hilarious. That my favorite TV show. The Simpsons is sucking, now. Family Guy is back even more hilarious than before. Mad TV is still funny, but not as funny as it used to be. Chappelle's Show gets funnier and funnier. I cant wait till season 3 starts. Everybody Loves Raymond was hilarious. Also Seinfeld, Home Improvement, and Yes Dear. Thank god for TBS showing them on the weekdays. If only they showed them everyday o.o

Anyways. it's really the reality shows that's screwing up TV, in my opinion.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    Not sure... I can't remember coz I haven't watched it for a while...
    Oh wait... it is mostly based on wiolence and stuff nowadays.

Setsuna Moto

Kienzan!
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Ohio
    • Seen Nov 25, 2005
    Why does everyone bash reality tv?

I don't watch all reality Tv. Yes, some suck. I know. But you can't give them all the "Crappy reality show" label. There's some GOOD reality shows out there. For example, The Amazing Race, imo. They go around the world... and I've learned a lot about places from it actually. And I'd love to go to a lot of those places.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Most of non-animated TV has gone to pot. But, there are a few gems, like Kevin said, L&O is good (even though I think there are too many spin-offs), and Desperate Housewives is a light relief from other dramas like 24 etc. Many people won't have heard of many of Little Britain or The Catherine Tate Show or any of those, but they are truly brilliant comedies, albeit they do use a heck of a lot of swearing and sex references, but if they can get my 75-year-old grandparents laughing, then they must be doing something right.

With the animation world though, I'd have to say it's a meh world. Many cartoons are extremely bland, lifeless in either comedy or action... although there are a few (Foster's, Xiaolin Showdown, Teen Titans, Samurai Jack JLU etc) which do perfect the comedy/drama well.

At least you Americans have some good TV... I know only the best TV (apart from Joey *shudders*) comes over here, but how much TV do you get from other countries (and don't say anime, that doesn't count). I'm probably becoming incomprehendable so I'll shut up now.

Batesymon

Tuesday!
    Years
    Little Britain is great.
    Andy: She pushed me!
    --------------------------
    Andy: I don't like it!

Now I speak like Andy! XD

It really depends what you look at. Shows on JCTV and channels like that if you're Christian don't really suck.
    Simpsons is funnier than what it used to in my opinion. I've seen almost all of the episodes before my time and stuff too.

But in my opinion, Big Brother sucks this year. It got kinda boring. Too many intruders. Bring back the origional BB from my town!

RoxasOld

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 29, 2006
    Mr Cat Dog said:
    Most of non-animated TV has gone to pot. But, there are a few gems, like Kevin said, L&O is good (even though I think there are too many spin-offs), and Desperate Housewives is a light relief from other dramas like 24 etc. Many people won't have heard of many of Little Britain or The Catherine Tate Show or any of those, but they are truly brilliant comedies, albeit they do use a heck of a lot of swearing and sex references, but if they can get my 75-year-old grandparents laughing, then they must be doing something right.

With the animation world though, I'd have to say it's a meh world. Many cartoons are extremely bland, lifeless in either comedy or action... although there are a few (Foster's, Xiaolin Showdown, Teen Titans, Samurai Jack JLU etc) which do perfect the comedy/drama well.

At least you Americans have some good TV... I know only the best TV (apart from Joey *shudders*) comes over here, but how much TV do you get from other countries (and don't say anime, that doesn't count). I'm probably becoming incomprehendable so I'll shut up now.

Well. We did get Whos Line Is It Anyway. And a crapload of anime XD Also, we have chanels like Telemundo. So we get 24 hours of spanish shows and stuff. I hate them though (dont hurt me. I'm hispanic, so I have the right to say what I want about spanish shows XD). And a bunch of other different language chanels. So we get lots of stuff from different countries.

Frost

Bomberman + Sub-Zero
    Years
    i agree. Xiaolin showdown Rocks. XD
    well really sometimes shows back then were kind of boring. but then again lately theyve been canceling good shows.
    im kinda in the grey matter here

Veemon

Yoshi!
    Years
    Yep, TV has really gotten worse and worse. For example, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy on Cartoon Network is a cartoon, right? But, it has violence. Like this one time a kid got ran over a truck by a pink bunny 5 or 10 times. I cant get that out of my head.

Also, some movies has gotten worse too. Like the new version of the Bad News Bears now playing for example. When it was first made, it was friendly for kids. But today, the remake is rated PG-13 for sexual content. So not only is TV getting worse, but remakes of movies as well.

Years
    It sux actually, all I ever watch now is animes that I dld off the Internet, there's nothin' more left ta see on TV except borin' stuff like news an' crappy series, ppl're movin' on ta the Internet.

Guest123_x1

Network television has gone seriously downhill since the cable boom of the 90s. Even with the launch of extra broadcast networks (FOX, WB, UPN, and PAX), it's hard to find any quality programming over the air anymore. In fact much of the trash talk TV on the airwaves nowadays would subject broadcasters to serious fines back in the 60s & 70s.

-ottermi619-
    Another side effect of corporate conglomerate monopolies.

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    happypikachu said:
    Yep, TV has really gotten worse and worse. For example, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy on Cartoon Network is a cartoon, right? But, it has violence. Like this one time a kid got ran over a truck by a pink bunny 5 or 10 times. I cant get that out of my head.
    You don't find that funny? Oh well... But Looney Tunes were so much "worse". Elmer Fudd carried a gun in nearly every Bugs Bunny episode, but there weren't people thinking "Oh this is so violent!" back in the 50s. Honestly...

Back