• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

tw*tter alternatives

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Yeah... Not liking that Threads requires me to use my real name. Twitter never really became a platform for me to connect with my IRL friends and acquaintances so I've always used usernames. If Threads is to replace Twitter, I want the anonymity.

Years
    so i like that meta hired a lot of the people elon fired to create a competitor to twitter (because these people didn't deserve to lose their jobs)

but what gets me with threads is that it's effectively linked to instagram. if you wanted to permanently delete your threads account, you would also have to delete the associated instagram account as well

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I haven't even checked if we get Threads in my country (UK) due to our messed up current relationship with the EU (whilst being led with a guy who wishes he was the Indian Zuckerberg). But honestly, given Facebook's privacy practices (and a resurfaced image of that weird mix of breaking news and memes - where professional athletes could actively change government policy in the UK, which is gone forever thanks to the blue tick debacle. Meta's strict rules and overzealous implementation of them means it'll be an overly sanitised version whilst the real name policy will continually harm people who play by said rules whilst doing nothing to stop the trolls.

It is funny that Musk is trying to sue because they hired all the people he so callously discarded, who probably couldn't believe their luck at not having to move!

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    At the moment it seems Calckey, a fork of Misskey, is gaining some traction on the Fediverse thanks to being lighter weight than Mastodon for final users. Community-wise, I've been so far quite comfortable with my Fediverse experience to the point that now I use Mastodon instead of Tumblr for new content announcements (such as releasing new fics), tho to be honest a part of that is Tumblr's weird policy that if your post has a link, to *anything*, ithen your post will not be searchable and not appear on dashboard views.

So far Mastodon is working pretty well for following people that you actually interact with. For following Twitter people or agencies merely for their announcements, I've gone back to the old tried and true RSS feeds. IMO, government agencies should have their announcements over an open platform, in particular if it's emergency services and announcements, since otherwise they're effectively leasing national sovereignty and Nat Sec to a (usually foreign!) third party. I've already officiated my country's national earthquake observation service to make their alerts available via Atom, which is relevant because we're the country with the Best earthquakes. Unbeatable.

Back