• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tyranitar-Garchomp

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    Hi, i just wanted to know if the sandstream tyranitar - sand veil garchomp was still a good strategy in ou, becasue i am making a competitive team with those 2 xD

Also, i wanted to know if rhyperior is still usable in ou, because in this gen it was tagged as RU, but i see it has an ou moveset:

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
    Ability: Solid Rock
    EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Blast/stone edge
    - Ice Punch/toxic

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    If you're playing on Showdown, Sand Veil+Sandstorm/Sand Stream is banned in OU. If you're playing on Battle Spot/3DS, then you can use that combo.

Rhyperior's not a bad poke, but I think that there's better options for a sand team, like Sand Rush Excadrill. Rhyperior's low Sp.Defense and Speed with a 4x weakness to Grass and Water kinda sucks, even with Solid Rock and the boost from the sandstorm. And although it's a sand team, that doesn't mean it has to be full of Rock/Ground/Steel Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    If you're playing on Showdown, Sand Veil+Sandstorm/Sand Stream is banned in OU. If you're playing on Battle Spot/3DS, then you can use that combo.

Rhyperior's not a bad poke, but I think that there's better options for a sand team, like Sand Rush Excadrill. Rhyperior's low Sp.Defense and Speed with a 4x weakness to Grass and Water kinda sucks, even with Solid Rock and the boost from the sandstorm. And although it's a sand team, that doesn't mean it has to be full of Rock/Ground/Steel Pokemon.

yes i know, rhyperior was not going to that team, i am making more than 1, but in what team can rhyperior be used well??, do you know any pokes that can team with rhyperior to be able to use him, or it is not too good as other pokes?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh, if you're not using it on a sand steam, stuff that can cover its Water and/or Grass weaknesses work well. Dragon and Grass pokes can do that, although you'll also need to pack an answer to things with Ice attacks. Teams also generally appreciate that Rhyperior basically counters birdspam.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    ok, i was thinking of putting venusaur and dragonite/salamence in the same team

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Ooh, Mega Venusaur would be a good idea, since Thick Fat basically makes it not weak to Ice, taking a little pressure off of the whole Ice thing (and then it can beat all the Water types with Ice Beam).

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    did you mean solar beam? ice beam isn't effective to water. So mega evolving venusaur is worth?, ok thanks foir the advice :3

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    did you mean solar beam? ice beam isn't effective to water. So mega evolving venusaur is worth?, ok thanks foir the advice :3
    Nah I meant that Water types often carry Ice Beam, so Thick fat means Mega Venusaur can take on those pokes without fear. Solar Beam's not a good option on it btw. Charge up turn sucks. Giga Drain would be better.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    venusaur teamed witha groudon would be nice for a solar beam venusaur, but it is uber xD

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    lol@thiscombo
    Venusaur Lvl100 @Venasaurite
    252 Speed EV
    252 Sp.Atk EV
    4 HP EV
    31/31/31/31/31/31 IVs
    Timid Nature
    Ability:Chlorophyll/Mega: Thick Fat
    -Solar Beam
    -Sunny Day/(If you're setting up sun with something else)Whatever really.
    -Synthesis
    -Leech Seed

I used this and rekt everything because Venusaur is already pretty tank and adding Thick Fat with a viable sweep move and two viable healing options, one of which drains opponent slowly, counteracting Leftovers and the other works better in the weather you set up with.
    Alternatively, to set up sun you could have Charizard Y as Special Sweeper/Sun Setter-Upper as a replacement for Groudon with M.Venusaur to counter those annyoing Water/Ice types (Cloyster I'm looking at you.). But with sun you also run the risk of being raped by impromptu Fire Types with a high Sp.ATK.

The point of that Venusaur though is to have a tank that can hit fast and hard.

And now kids, you know why Venusaur has been OU since 2007, even more so since XY.
    EDIT:Also chlorophyll boosts it's speed so that's why I've reinforced it's speed stat and chosen Timid because it don't matter what it's ATK stat looks like.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    haha thanks VK, venusaur rules xD, i'm one of the guys who chooses bulbasaur instead of charmander. lol hahaha

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    No problem bro.
    Venusaur didn't really have anything going for it apart from it's all roundness until Gen IV because of multiple moves that it should learn but couldn't (Synthesis, is a big one here)because they almost copy-pasted the learnset from G/S/C over into Gen 3 and maybe changed some of the required levels. There was also the Physical and Special move split then, so certain moves got a massive ass boost because of that, which is why Leaf Blade was such a shit move even on a Sceptile back then, which is why they had a crit bonus on it and Razor Leaf because Grass was a SPECIAL type, not PHYSICAL one.(Even the backsprites were not spared from laziness, but they were short on time and getting a 386 SEEN dex on only Hoenn games is impossible.)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    lol@thiscombo
    Venusaur Lvl100 @Venasaurite
    252 Speed EV
    252 Sp.Atk EV
    4 HP EV
    31/31/31/31/31/31 IVs
    Timid Nature
    Ability:Chlorophyll/Mega: Thick Fat
    -Solar Beam
    -Sunny Day/(If you're setting up sun with something else)Whatever really.
    -Synthesis
    -Leech Seed

I used this and rekt everything because Venusaur is already pretty tank and adding Thick Fat with a viable sweep move and two viable healing options, one of which drains opponent slowly, counteracting Leftovers and the other works better in the weather you set up with.
    Alternatively, to set up sun you could have Charizard Y as Special Sweeper/Sun Setter-Upper as a replacement for Groudon with M.Venusaur to counter those annyoing Water/Ice types (Cloyster I'm looking at you.). But with sun you also run the risk of being raped by impromptu Fire Types with a high Sp.ATK.

The point of that Venusaur though is to have a tank that can hit fast and hard.

And now kids, you know why Venusaur has been OU since 2007, even more so since XY.
    EDIT:Also chlorophyll boosts it's speed so that's why I've reinforced it's speed stat and chosen Timid because it don't matter what it's ATK stat looks like.

In Gen VI, regular Venusaur isn't that good anymore for this reason: Drought now lasts for 5 turns (8 with Heat Rock), meaning that Venusaur can't effectively sweep under sun within a limited time span. Sunny Day may not be enough, given how easily it gets replaced by rain or sand, both very common weathers. Mega Venusaur should only stick to defensive spreads because it generally Mega Evolves ASAP, meaning there's little point in it keeping Chlorophyll:
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Leech Seed/Sleep Powder/Earthquake/Knock Off
    -Synthesis
    Nature: Bold/Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe
    Item: Venusaurite

or
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Synthesis
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 236 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef/20 Spe

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    In Gen VI, regular Venusaur isn't that good anymore for this reason: Drought now lasts for 5 turns (8 with Heat Rock), meaning that Venusaur can't effectively sweep under sun within a limited time span. Sunny Day may not be enough, given how easily it gets replaced by rain or sand, both very common weathers. Mega Venusaur should only stick to defensive spreads because it generally Mega Evolves ASAP, meaning there's little point in it keeping Chlorophyll:
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Leech Seed/Sleep Powder/Earthquake/Knock Off
    -Synthesis
    Nature: Bold/Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe

or
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Synthesis
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 236 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef/20 Spe

ok, i just came from my holidays xD, thank you both :) , and should i put on venusaur speed and sp. att evs or defensive evs????

Back