• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ubuntu users, unite!

Do you use ubuntu?

• Yes

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 36.4%

• Total voters
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 14, 2009
    I was just wondering, how many of you out there use ubuntu? I use it because it is the closest free thing to a mac.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    I have the ability to use it, and I have used it as my main OS in the past, however I do run Mac OS right now.
    (I'm not sure which choice I should choose for the poll since it's not my main OS but I do have the ability to use it anytime I want via Virtual machine)

Last edited:
    Years
    I have a laptop with Vista and Ubuntu on dual boot. I find myself using Vista more frequently, but Ubuntu is handy when I want a quick startup. =3

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
    I used to have Ubuntu, but I didn't like a lot about it. I mean, I LOVED the jiggling windows xD; But I hated the fact that I had to go to so much trouble to get certain programs that I could use with just a few clicks using Windows. And most didn't even work... Dissapointing ;~;

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I used to have Ubuntu, but I didn't like a lot about it. I mean, I LOVED the jiggling windows xD; But I hated the fact that I had to go to so much trouble to get certain programs that I could use with just a few clicks using Windows. And most didn't even work... Dissapointing ;~;
    I find using programs easier on Linux, unless you try to use something specifically written for Windows. And then it's the program developers' faults.

No, I don't use Ubuntu. I tried it once, but I prefer Arch. Xubuntu's not too bad, but I prefer to build from the ground up, not get an OS loaded with stuff I don't need.

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
    My whole family uses Ubuntu, we haven't regretted our switch over since we did it coming up to 2 years ago.

I still can't install WINE on ubuntu :( so 'no' I don't use ubuntu, though it's UI could use an upgrade.

sudo apt-get install wine

or

Applications>Add remove appliations>Search for WINE.

Try something other than Gnome, I get the impression KDE would be more suited to you out of the box.(see attachment)

I personally believe Gnome is just fine and needs no upgrade, with Compiz-Fusion it has capabilities above and beyond Vista. Alot of people seem to think if at first glance a UI looks plain and "boring" then the whole thing is rubbish. This is far from the truth...take a look at RISC OS sometime, the default stoney look is a bit dated, but its the most intuitive UI that I've ever used.

I find this the lamest argument around. Sure back in the day when you had to download a tarball extract the source and compile it your self, but with modern Linux distributions it takes around two clicks to open the package manager. Now if as I'm guessing you are trying to run windows programs, what on earth are you trying use Linux for? It's like trying to make Lemonade with Orange juice. There are more than adequate Linux alternatives to the majority of programs.

Last edited:
    Years
    Surely, it takes some patience, but it annoys me how many people give up on it. To be honest, I'm posting from Windows 7 because Office 2007 surpasses the open-source alternatives available to Linux and I can't be bothered fixing it up with Wine until I get a bigger Hard Drive and transfer everything to that.

And guys, if you don't want to risk damaging your partitions (which is very unlikely, unless you do something stupid) then try a Wubi installation, which is a temporary partition that you can uninstall from Windows.

And lol at trying to be like OSX. It is different in it's own right and is used by many people with access to OSX. I use it because I prefer it to Windows most of the time, but each to his own...

Oh, keep in mind my Avy was like this before I saw the thread...

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I just installed it. Literally an hour ago, in fact as we speak it is updating to the newest version. Haha, I have no experience with Linux system either. It's nice to learn new things though, and I would much rather sacrifice functionality for security. I also would rather get Ubuntu than Hackintosh because..I like all the Linux affects, and on my computer Ubuntu would be about 30 times quicker. I am actually having trouble typing on Ubuntu because the letters pop up so much quicker than they did in Windows. Haha, and it was still very fast in Windows. Oh well. :3 New things are nice.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    That is not even close to a fair comparison. Linux is a good system, and it is an extremely secure system. The programs that I use all work for Ubuntu (linux). All I have to do is get used to the way you have to install. I would much rather have security than functionality.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    That is not even close to a fair comparison. Linux is a good system, and it is an extremely secure system. The programs that I use all work for Ubuntu (linux). All I have to do is get used to the way you have to install. I would much rather have security than functionality.
    I'd rather have security *and* functionality, imo. OSX gives me that. Linux is open source; which means day in, day out; people are analyzing for flaws to exploit ~ seems kinda silly to use an OS like that XD

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I'd rather have security *and* functionality, imo. OSX gives me that. Linux is open source; which means day in, day out; people are analyzing for flaws to exploit ~ seems kinda silly to use an OS like that XD
    Maybe I don't like Apple things? Maybe I like Linux? :| People have an opinion and mine is Ubuntu is better than what you're suggesting, deal with it.

Years
    Yes, please stop with the Apple elitism, Cloud. We all get that you love OSX, but please stop trying to convince people that your opinion is correct. By the way, the people that look for those security flaws in Linux usually look to patch them up, rather than to exploit them (Linux is the hacker's OS of choice, after all XD).

Anyway, I use Ubuntu on a regular basis. I had it installed on my old desktop a while ago (back in the Dapper Drake days), and loved it then. Unfortunately for me, no one else in my family liked it. But now I run the Live CD when I need to get my Ubuntu fix (as well as an efficient OS for surfing and watching movies). Watching movies on Ubuntu is like a dream for me. No hiccups on 720p Matroska video (Unlike Windows 7). I just hope Google releases Chrome for Linux soon.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    Why use an amateur-created OS?
    And now it's obvious you're no more than a troll.

I used to use Xubuntu, but after a month or so, I'd realize that I needed something that would only run on Windows. I never shut off my computer unless I absolutely have to, so after going back into Windows, there would be no real reason for me to spend the time to get back into Xubuntu.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Why use an amateur-created OS?
    Ubuntu is a huge project with hundreds of contributors. Maybe a few people don't write the best code, but everything that gets included is reviewed first by people who know what they're doing.

Would you trust your family's safety to a car built by the guy down the street? :X
    That's a poor comparison. First of all, it's not just one person building the "car." It's a team of ex-Honda (they're a good company, right? I'm not sure) employees and engineers who have banded together in an effort to make affordable cars with freely published blueprints. As for the safety of the cars, they are tested by these same engineers as well as interested businesses who feel that they can deploy these cheap and efficient cars to safe company money.

And then there's the "security by obscurity" argument that people like to bring up. These cars basically drive on their own roads and, as such, are immune to most of the problems that come from driving at high speeds on a crowded expressway. I think I'd purchase one of those cars over something GM put out.

My analogy isn't much better, but you get the idea.

That's the brilliance of it. There are thousands of people looking for ways the system could be exploited all the time; it's getting constantly updated with fixes for problems that haven't even been exploited.

Back