• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ugh... more Database Errors. x.x

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
  • Yes... PC has been quite unstable with it's Database for about the last 2 years as from what I can remember. Although I can't seem to remember any Database Errors occuring when I first joined PC. Although I am quite possitive that Steve is doing his best to fixing the Database Errors by eliminating some of the things that is causing the website data size to become too big.

If this continues... PC could be left with the removal of really good features such as the "Who's Online" area and all that sort of stuff... so you won't be able to know what another member is doing or anything. Maybe people might be refreshing the page too much? Is this something to do with the size of the forum? Is this something to do with the size limitation of the website host? If that could be what the problem is... then my best suggestion would be moving to an unlimited server rather than a limited server.

Although... I might not know much about how websites work, but just think of how some other popular websites are able to keep going without something going wrong in their SQL Database.

Also... as alot of you might already know... there's vBulletin 4.0.8, which is way much more better than the normal vBulletin. If the server issue is fixed then we might be able to upgrade to the new vBulletin.

So I just kinda wonder to myself... is this forum on an unlimited hosting? Or is it on a limited hosting?

Years
  • This problem hasn't gone unnoticed, obviously.
    I am sure they are working at every problem to try and make it better for us.

Money, I am sure, is an issue, so feel free to donate like myself ;)

Zet

Years
  • Well if you're feeling generous, you could always buy PC a dedicated server so there won't be any more database errors for a long time. :P

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Well if you're feeling generous, you could always buy PC a dedicated server so there won't be any more database errors for a long time. :P
    This.

Its not like PC is the only place you can get to the internet. There's lot of other sites there, you just haven't found them. I usually listen to music until PC's back up again. I'm used to it already. :U
    EDIT: Oh and btw, the new vBulletin is horrible and ugly from what I've seen. u__u

Platinum Lucario

Years
  • Well if you're feeling generous, you could always buy PC a dedicated server so there won't be any more database errors for a long time. :P

Yeah, I could actually look into buying PC a dedicated server. Then we'd finally be able to successfully bring back all the things that were removed due to causing PC to reach it's limit. And like I said... if we don't do something... then hardly anyone will be even able to browse PC, due to the fact that the limitation to how many people are able to browse PC has been lowered from what I've noticed... so even less people can browse PC now. D:

There's always plenty more threads, posts, social groups, and blogs getting made every day... it all adds up to the website data size. And when there's a limitation... it prevents the website from going any higher... so therefore causes a Database Error on the MySQL Database... because say like... the thread data was incomplete while it was being made... and the limitation cuts it in half... and the process was not complete.

Alright... I'll have to see about buying PC a dedicated server. And if I don't have enough money... I'll try to save up enough to buy one... to help PC survive.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Yeah, I could actually look into buying PC a dedicated server. Then we'd finally be able to successfully bring back all the things that were removed due to causing PC to reach it's limit. And like I said... if we don't do something... then hardly anyone will be even able to browse PC, due to the fact that the limitation to how many people are able to browse PC has been lowered from what I've noticed... so even less people can browse PC now. D:

There's always plenty more threads, posts, social groups, and blogs getting made every day... it all adds up to the website data size. And when there's a limitation... it prevents the website from going any higher... so therefore causes a Database Error on the MySQL Database... because say like... the thread data was incomplete while it was being made... and the limitation cuts it in half... and the process was not complete.

Alright... I'll have to see about buying PC a dedicated server. And if I don't have enough money... I'll try to save up enough to buy one... to help PC survive.
    That would be great, then!
    But still, nothing lasts forever so however big or unlimited a server is...it will still expire. I don't know about others, though.

Platinum Lucario

Years

• That would be great, then!
    But still, nothing lasts forever so however big or unlimited a server is...it will still expire. I don't know about others, though.

Well, this is why people who use hosting would always have to keep paying for their domain to keep it from expiring. But I've found a website that has unlimited space. It's called www.unlimited-space.com.

However, if PC is already on a host that uses unlimited space, then I guess I might have to buy PC a dedicated server, then... all the supporters will have to help Steve with the costs... by of course... donating, like we do today.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 5, 2021
    Pokecommunity has been up for a long time and have a lot of dead accounts. I haven't been around long enough to know, but have you guys ever had a fresh restart of the boards?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Why not start pruning dead accouts? That could help?
    Because it's irritating to see so many dead and inactive accounts that take up data space.
    They stop so many others from joining and browsing PC!

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Well, this is why people who use hosting would always have to keep paying for their domain to keep it from expiring. But I've found a website that has unlimited space. It's called www.unlimited-space.com.

However, if PC is already on a host that uses unlimited space, then I guess I might have to buy PC a dedicated server, then... all the supporters will have to help Steve with the costs... by of course... donating, like we do today.

But then you have to take bandwidth into consideration.

And my, what an important consideration that is.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 5, 2021
    One thing about pruning dead accounts is you never know when someone may come back. I was on a forum for some time back on 2005, then stopped going there for about two years, came back, and I'm still active there. But again, you can always just make a new account. I'd place a copious amount of money on saying there won't be any accounts that get deleted.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • How about putting a taboo on more than one or two alt. accounts? I realize people use alts for things sometimes, but is having more than one or two really necessary?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • One thing about pruning dead accounts is you never know when someone may come back. I was on a forum for some time back on 2005, then stopped going there for about two years, came back, and I'm still active there. But again, you can always just make a new account. I'd place a copious amount of money on saying there won't be any accounts that get deleted.
    Yes you have a good point there but, like you also mentioned they can make a new account. The member can then be notified; saying that their account has been deleted because of inactivity for a large period of time.

Why restrict other froms joining and browsing PC because of other's inactivity.
    Also; can we do something about having more than a certain amount of accounts. For example the user can be notified on which account they'd like to keep and they rest can be deleted.

Have a rules for example of 2 accounts per person. If someone wishes to have one deleted just contact anadministrstor or Steve/Rukario.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • One thing about pruning dead accounts is you never know when someone may come back. I was on a forum for some time back on 2005, then stopped going there for about two years, came back, and I'm still active there. But again, you can always just make a new account. I'd place a copious amount of money on saying there won't be any accounts that get deleted.

Pokecommunity is a huge site, and there are just too many people tiring to browse the site for the server to keep up. Dead accounts because no stress on the server, it's just data on the HDD that isn't being used, and it is not taking up any Processor power at all.

If anybody want to help out donate a large sum of some money, there is a donate button at the top of every page. The site is slow because it is hosted on a (in a server since) light weight computer. If you compare the specks of this server to those of say one of those that you might find in a Datacenter, it would be like comparing a Netbook with a top of the line Gaming PC.

Things you can do:

1. Donate whatever money you can for a new Server (price ranges $1500 USD and up, and by up I mean $200,000 USD)
    2. Browse PC during the early morning through the early afternoon when the server traffic is at its lowest.
    3. Make it an early Christmas for Steve by buying a new server for the site

Or

4. Go do something else when the server lags. It's busy severing close to a thousand requests at one time.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • The number of accounts means absolutely nothing, trust me. They take up practically no space.

@Pablo49: the boards were restarting once before several years ago. The thing is that it isn't the size of the database that's the problem, it's the number of users online at a time. It's just so many people accessing so many things at once that the server can't always handle it.

For the most part, correct..
    under normal conditions the server has no problems handling all the users PC throws at it.. but lately when vB does its session re-authorizations its locking up the tables, causing too many connections for the configuration of the db server and we're getting a domino effect.. which in turn cause apache (the web server) to also lock up with too many connections.. (some of this can be eliminated with even more ram, but that is a just a stop-gap.. a bandaid fix) and BOOM we go down till i can clear the flood.. and of course, once the server's come back up it IMMEDIATELY starts all over again and that adds to how long it takes to fully recover (you all can help here by doing something else while we recover the server) and I have to babysit it killing apache processes and long-running mysql threads..

Bottom line, we do need a MUCH bigger server or a pair (or perhaps 3 + a load balancer) to handle the increased usage we're getting, but the prices jump up pretty drastically for these kinds of server's (or even for multiple mid-range ones).. as much as from our $360-450 current range to well over $800-900 /mo. and that is just something we can not sustain at all right now.

We've been investigation these updates and other possible solutions as well, so everyone, know we do know about it and are actively working to fix it.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Basically the problem isn't space or bandwidth, it's CPU/RAM usage.

If we could find a beefier Dedicated Server to host our junk on, for a reasonable price we'd be all good. I think it's just a matter of finding hosting that offers everything that PC needs to operate properly as well as having more modern and cutting edge servers for a reasonable price.

Of course...the main concern is data loss when moving, and no host change should be done with a light heart. The last thing PC needs is to move into a better host only to find out that it's unreliable or unsuited to our needs as an ever expanding Pokemon fansite. Note that even places like Serebii are suffering the same bloat.

I'm doubting that vB4 will ever solve our DBE problem, mainly because I think feature creep is sinking into vB. XD

Unless they magically create some sort of administrative interface that can help control how hard the database gets hit. Now that would be a feature I think vB could use...even if it's done by an addon.

Perhaps we could just stop vB from performing all those re-authorizations? Do the tokens HAVE to expire after a short period of time? Could we not extend the life of these tokens and perhaps add in ways to rate-limit the number of these re-authorizations so they don't happen all at once?

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

Years
  • For the most part, correct..
    under normal conditions the server has no problems handling all the users PC throws at it.. but lately when vB does its session re-authorizations its locking up the tables, causing too many connections for the configuration of the db server and we're getting a domino effect.. which in turn cause apache (the web server) to also lock up with too many connections.. (some of this can be eliminated with even more ram, but that is a just a stop-gap.. a bandaid fix) and BOOM we go down till i can clear the flood.. and of course, once the server's come back up it IMMEDIATELY starts all over again and that adds to how long it takes to fully recover (you all can help here by doing something else while we recover the server) and I have to babysit it killing apache processes and long-running mysql threads..
    I see... well I'm sure if another vBulletin Database Error occurs... I'll do something else for ten minutes... then I'll refresh the page to see if the database is fixed.
    And I see... that the problem most of the time is the too many connections when vBulletin does it's session re-authorizations is locking up the tables, so which means the connections of the configuration for it's MySQL database, which then causes it to crash, eh? I see, and I do understand the cause now.
    Bottom line, we do need a MUCH bigger server or a pair (or perhaps 3 + a load balancer) to handle the increased usage we're getting, but the prices jump up pretty drastically for these kinds of server's (or even for multiple mid-range ones).. as much as from our $360-450 current range to well over $800-900 /mo. and that is just something we can not sustain at all right now.
    Hm... yes, that would indeed be a good idea. I'm sure if there's alot of supporters... then I'm sure they would help you with the costs of renting the new extra dedicated servers, however I do think... there might not be enough supporters to pay for the costs of extra dedicated servers, and I do understand that... I guess that explains why you haven't got more dedicated servers yet. Yeah... what I noticed yesterday was indeed the costs of the dedicated servers.
    We've been investigation these updates and other possible solutions as well, so everyone, know we do know about it and are actively working to fix it.
    Alrighty! Even if a good feature is removed... I will still be on PC... no matter what happens, because this is where I met my first ever friends on the internet. ;)
    If we could find a beefier Dedicated Server to host our junk on, for a reasonable price we'd be all good. I think it's just a matter of finding hosting that offers everything that PC needs to operate properly as well as having more modern and cutting edge servers for a reasonable price.
    Well... the problem is... the better the dedicated server is... the more expensive it gonna be. And I'm pretty sure there is a reason why Steve hasn't rented another dedicated server yet. And well, I'm sure this might help out Steve... hopefully, although... again... Steve might not be able to afford the costs.
    [FONT="Comic Sans M.S"]Of course...the main concern is data loss when moving, and no host change should be done with a light heart. The last thing PC needs is to move into a better host only to find out that it's unreliable or unsuited to our needs as an ever expanding Pokemon fansite. Note that even places like Serebii are suffering the same bloat.[/FONT]
    Hm... I can see your point of view. However... I have noticed Serebii's Pokémon Place forums really doesn't have any Database Errors... just lagging, that's about all from my point of view. Maybe it's because they have the forum styles kept to a minimum maybe? Also on SPPf, no one is able to use custom avatars except for the staff.
    I'm doubting that vB4 will ever solve our DBE problem, mainly because I think feature creep is sinking into vB. XD
    Hm... little do I know about vBulletin 4, however I do know that vBulletin 4.0.8 is the latest stable version for vBulletin 4. Tbh, I didn't really say that vBulletin 4.0.8 would fix the problems... all I said was that if the server problem is fixed... then Steve might be able to upgrade, and I thought it was way much better... probably by looks it is... but I guess it still has stabability issues. I've never really experienced it, tbh.
    Unless they magically create some sort of administrative interface that can help control how hard the database gets hit. Now that would be a feature I think vB could use...even if it's done by an addon.
    Hm... we're not sure if Steve has got that implemented or not, the database does seem to get fixed pretty quickly, it doesn't really take very long, so I assume he knows whenever it happens somehow.
    Perhaps we could just stop vB from performing all those re-authorizations? Do the tokens HAVE to expire after a short period of time? Could we not extend the life of these tokens and perhaps add in ways to rate-limit the number of these re-authorizations so they don't happen all at once?
    Hm... when I read this part of your post... I immediately realized how great it would if Steve could stop the forum from performing the re-authorizations, maybe Jelsoft hasn't implemented this feature yet or something? I'm not sure. But if Steve is unable to do so... then I guess I understand the case.

I thought you guys owned the server.. I didn't realize you rented one... yeah it's going to cost a lot of money either way... :(
    Well, unfortunately... there is no possible way of buying a dedicated server. You can only rent it, mainly because dedicated servers are made for buisness use, that's why the buisnesses have to make money by encouraging people to buy stuff... and not to also mention... they have to buy their goods as well to have them on the shelves for the people to buy. I have realized that it's basically about hosting, and it's more like a subscription service. Like I said, there is no possible way of buying one and owning it, you have to pay out each month for the cost... alot like when you have an internet connection using a wireless router or something

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Pokecommunity has been up for a long time and have a lot of dead accounts. I haven't been around long enough to know, but have you guys ever had a fresh restart of the boards?
    As far as I've heard, twice between 2002 and 2004.

Back