• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Uh, I don't speak Italian...

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    If someone tries to speak to me in any language part from English/Swedish I will just say I do not understand that language.
    If it is on the internet I will just leave that page or if on an forum/social media not read it.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    I just nod. I do that with English speakers too. I don't have good hearing.

If someone tries to speak to me in any language part from English/Swedish I will just say I do not understand that language.
    If it is on the internet I will just leave that page or if on an forum/social media not read it.

Hei, hvor er du? Kan du forstå Norsk? Jeg har hørt de er nær nok for folk å forstå egen språk.

Years
    Just repeat 'yes' in whatever language it sounds like they're using until they get frustrated and walk off. I once said 'si' to a guy talking to me in Spanish for a good 3 minutes before he got angry and stormed away it was awesome and I'm not sorry.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    Most people understand English in addition to whatever foreign language they may speak, at least where I live. So if someone starts speaking a language I don't know to me, saying "I'm sorry, I don't understand" usually gets the point across. Otherwise, a quizzical expression works, too.

There have been a few occasions when people speak Mandarin to me and I'm a little embarrassed/don't want to admit that I don't really understand it (I'm Cantonese and sometimes people just assume I speak Mandarin too), so I'll just smile and nod when appropriate, which usually gets me through the short, random conversations strangers strike up sometimes. If I don't feel like it, again, the "I'm sorry, I don't understand" line works too.

If it's on the internet, if I really care about the topic or something, I'll put the text through an online translator. I know they're not accurate, but you can generally piece together the keywords and sort of understand what they're saying.

Vincent

Often moronically charismatic
    Years
    Personally, I find a different language that I don't clearly understand quite a hassle and frankly I just do what any person does... smile, nod and err- more smiles but recently I've been given the choice to pick between Italian, Korean or French to learn and I jut went with French 'cause amour. c:

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    Honestly it's not too hard to talk to people who speak in another language. A few weeks ago, I was in Guatemala helping build schools for their country and providing medical attention for their country's sick. We were working with the Guatemalan Army's engineers as well as the locals and their kids liked to hang out with us on the job sites. All you really have to do is use body language. If they came up to me and said something in spanish I would just say 'no hablo espanol' (which I think I means I don't speak spanish, but I have no freakin' idea). And it got to the point where we would we knew each other names and would joke around with each other ( I will never forget little Gabriel, who is a 6 year old little Guatemalan girl who was at the job site with us everyday, walking up to us and drawing a dick in the sand. I don't know who taught her how to do that, but she did it.) but we still never understood a word of what each other was saying. We could buy things from the vendors around without any problems, the language barrier was never really an issue.

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
    As an Italian a speak fluid Italian, but if they're not speaking Italian or English, I just assume They're not talking to me.

A proposito, si può parlare italiano?

Back