• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

UK

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    All of the best writers come from the UK.

Years
  • Here's a prime example:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom

"On 20 April 2010, police arrested Dale McAlpine, a Christian preacher, of Workington in Cumbria, for saying that homosexual conduct was a sin." Just wow....

Cutting down on Racism and Hatred is bad thing? Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you'd please- it has limitations, no matter where you go, and more people from the US need to realize that. Curbing religious zealotry isn't that bad, and it makes sense with the secular society England and Europe maintains.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    If they arrest people for something as simple as expressing an opinion that is held by most world religions, imagine what would happen to someone who slipped and told a little off-color joke.

Surely you can see what a chilling effect these laws cause.

And I also wouldn't live in the UK because taxes are way too high and the weather is too cold and rainy for my liking.

You really think racism and sexism can be justified by the fact it's an opinion commonly held by religious people?
    Besides it's not as if simply making a prejudiced comment would get you arrested anyway, it's for serious hatred or insult.

Any communication which is threatening, abusive or insulting, and is intended to harass, alarm, or distress someone is forbidden.

As far "off colour jokes" go, jokes are not intended to harass or distress and so are not offences. If they were Frankie Boyle would have the death penalty by now.

You clearly didn't even research the example you gave, as in the the very page you posted it says:
    On 20 April 2010, police arrested Dale McAlpine, a Christian preacher, of Workington in Cumbria, for saying that homosexual conduct was a sin. On 14 May 2010, the Crown decided not to prosecute McAlpine.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    UK television is so much better. Here in the US we have dumbed down predictible plots and dumbed down humor for the dumbed down audience.

As for the politics of the UK I dont see how it can be much worse than the US... In the US debate consists of partisan bickering.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • I actually quite like it!
    Definetly very civil country with lots of things to see.
    Of course, pretty obvious that i have deep love for the language, which, added to accent makes very good combo!

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Cutting down on Racism and Hatred is bad thing? Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you'd please- it has limitations, no matter where you go, and more people from the US need to realize that. Curbing religious zealotry isn't that bad, and it makes sense with the secular society England and Europe maintains.

I understand that. I can agree with laws that prohibit discrimination in the workplace and place of education that provide for civil remedies (criminal punishment is going too far); but a complete ban on this type of speech with the possibility of imprisonment would never stand up to Constitutional muster in our country... and for good reason. These types of laws create a chilling effect that discourage people from exercising their right to free speech out of fear of being prosecuted for expressing an "offensive" belief.

No law like this has ever been on the books in the United States, so the closest thing I can cite is a famous case involving college campus speech codes. See this case (Doe v. University of Michigan, 1989): https://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/comm/free_speech /doe.html

You clearly didn't even research the example you gave, as in the the very page you posted it says:

I saw that part. Just the fact that some could be arrested and potentially prosecuted for merely expressing that sort of opinion also infringes on his right ton freely practice his religion. This is the very reason that the people of my country left yours. And what constitutes "intention to harass or distress" is completely subjective and vague.

You aren't arrested on the spot.
    Just don't be stupid enough to say it in front of the police.

From the looks of things, someone can overhear your joke, find it offensive, and report you to the police. I know the chances of that are unlikely, but the possibility is pretty scary. It would make me feel like I'm living in a police state.

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I dunno, I guess it'd be a fancy place with just a different kind of English...

That's all I have >__>

I might have to ask Jorah. My knowledge is sooo lacking XD

HeyMikey

White Lightning.
    Years
  • Adding on to what I said earlier, I do love the UK, but tbh I think that this whole university funding cut thing is a load of [idon'tknowhowtightthestaffhereareonswearing]. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Rich Boy Rob

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Adding on to what I said earlier, I do love the UK, but tbh I think that this whole university funding cut thing is a load of [idon'tknowhowtightthestaffhereareonswearing]. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Yeah, I can't believe we'll have to spend upwards of £9000 to go to good universities. If I went to 6th Form in Cambridge, or the protests extended over here I would definitely join in.
    Typical that it happens just as I need to start thinking about things like where I want to go for uni...
    [idon'tknowhowtightthestaffhereareonswearing] Tuition fees...

Sean

Years
  • Why do people still say Ireland is part of UK XD; You'd say Northern Ireland for that. Not the republic.
    Been to the UK, eh, didn't really enjoy it over ther~
    And whats with people saying Irish accents are dreamy, I think my voice is horrible XD;

HeyMikey

White Lightning.
    Years
  • Yeah, I can't believe we'll have to spend upwards of £9000 to go to good universities. If I went to 6th Form in Cambridge, or the protests extended over here I would definitely join in.
    Typical that it happens just as I need to start thinking about things like where I want to go for uni...
    [idon'tknowhowtightthestaffhereareonswearing] Tuition fees...

I'm not even going to go to uni and I'm considering going to a protest in London. I think it's completely unfair that they are cutting our uni funding down to only 20%. Have you heard that they're killing EMA too, despite 65% of 6th form students in the £30/week bracket requiring it to continue education? I'd like to know how this money saved will benefit English students, as so far all they have done is take.

Rich Boy Rob

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016

Have you heard that they're killing EMA too, despite 65% of 6th form students in the £30/week bracket requiring it to continue education? I'd like to know how this money saved will benefit English students, as so far all they have done is take.

Really? I mean, I don't get EMA myself, but I know plenty that do. I swear it seems that they are trying to do as much as possible to screw our generation over.

HeyMikey

White Lightning.
    Years
  • Well iirc they are introducing something else to help those who need it most. The issue is that it now has only 10% of its original funding; from £30million to £3million, so I doubt it will make a large difference to everyone who really needs it.

It seems that they are taking so much from English students but giving nothing back. I understand that the UK is in debt but taking all this from one group, and such an important one imo, is unfair and ridiculous.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • First post in a long time, woo.

I'm from the UK. I consider myself both English and British and I'm proud of it. Sure, it's not perfect, but show me a country that is. I'm just immensely proud of the fact I can call a country that has so much prestige, history and heritage my home.

There are things I don't like about it, but there are also things that I love. I'm also not going to sit here and pretend that my ancestors haven't done some pretty nasty things to other people's countries over the course of its history. However, we have so much influence on the world and how it has been shaped in its current form, that I cannot help but love it.

I also take offence to the fact that I have seen the opinions of some who think that we are a joke country because we think we have a massive influence on world affairs anymore. I just see it as the fact that we've had our time in the sun, and now we can sit back and let somebody else have a turn at the top.

I also read somewhere that we are used by the American government as a sort of go-between for the US and Europe. Obviously the Uk is technically a part of Europe, though we are taken to act as mediators when the US and Europe have disagreements.

One thing I would like to know though, if there are any people from outside English-native speaking countries; what are your countries' stereotypes of Britain and her people? Always been curious.

Rich Boy Rob

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    There are things I don't like about it, but there are also things that I love. I'm also not going to sit here and pretend that my ancestors haven't done some pretty nasty things to other people's countries over the course of its history. However, we have so much influence on the world and how it has been shaped in its current form, that I cannot help but love it.

I also take offence to the fact that I have seen the opinions of some who think that we are a joke country because we think we have a massive influence on world affairs anymore. I just see it as the fact that we've had our time in the sun, and now we can sit back and let somebody else have a turn at the top.

I agree, we do have an illustrious history. From Bodesia (or however you spell it) to Winston Churchill. I always found it interesting how long our history is, especially compared to the colonies. I mean I met one of my mum's friends daughters from New Zealand who said their History lessons were really boring, because their history was only 100 odd years long XD.
    Though we are not as "Great" as we once were, I like to think we still have a decent say in world politics. Maybe not as much as America these days, but still up there.

Back